You are here

Please help my 78 year old dad :)

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Please help my 78 year old dad :)

Postby ebeygin » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:19 pm

Hello,

My dad has been making music for over a decade and has about 750 songs. But, its hard for him to learn, so the way I showed him 15 years ago, is the way he is been doing things.

Create a song using a STYLE off a YAMAHA PSR keybord (make all chord transitions for complete song), port it to ntrack.. add his voice, mix and make mp3.

The problem is the styles are getting repetitive, and I wondering if things have changed in 15 years.

What would be the EASIEST way to make music on the computer? (he doesn't play piano)

I would really love for him to be able to choose some style type loop that has guitar strumming, piano, maybe some soft drums), and for him to manipulate that rhythm for chords.. and then make it into a song. Sort of like he did on the YAMAHA PSR. the style keeps going, and he just presses keys to switch chords.

Is there any software like that with a RICH base of STYLES/LOOPS to choose from? His style is mostly guitar/piano type songs.

finally, it can't be too complicated, it would be too tedious for him to build out a guitar channel first, then a piano, then drums.. it would be much easier if the loop/style contains the complete song rhythm in it..

Thanks!
ebeygin
New here

Re: Please help my 78 year old dad :)

Postby Wonks » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:14 pm

What is your level of expertise here? Probably the most comprehensive software to do this sort of thing is Band In A Box, but it's not cheap. For recording your father, you may be better running it within a DAW. I know BIAB exists and is well regarded, but I've never used it, so can't say any more than that.

https://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.htm
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby zenguitar » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:46 pm

The bundled Garage Band app on iPhone & iPad might do all you need. Massive library of drum loops in lots of styles, simple playing interface that can be restricted to chords in key, and some great instruments.

If you have access to one, it’s worth giving it a try and seeing if you think you could teach your dad to use it. And you don’t need the latest model, Garage Band has been on iDevices for many years now.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby shufflebeat » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:49 pm

If he's familiar with the concept of chordsheets then maybe check out iReal pro. It's available on iPad and (I think) PC but I find the best version is the Android one, which may or not be any use to you.

Just write out the time sig and chords then press play, flip through styles to taste.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ati.irealb
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby James Perrett » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:29 am

Which PSR keyboard is he using? Our lad is into messing around with them and I recently bought him a more advanced one (an E403) compared to the one he was using (an E175). In the process I took a look at some of the demo videos and the newer, more advanced PSR's (particularly the S series) look fairly impressive. We had a keyboard player in an old band who was a dab hand at extracting some very impressive performances from this type of keyboard.

It may also be worth looking at the Casio equivalents to give you a different sound palette.

You can also download additional styles for some of the PSR series so it might be worth checking to see if that is possible with his keyboard.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ebeygin » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:41 am

Guys, this is great. I checked the demos for the suggested apps and this is exactly it! I will need to download and try out but this seems great! Thank you!
ebeygin
New here

Postby ebeygin » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:52 am

James Perrett wrote:Which PSR keyboard is he using? Our lad is into messing around with them and I recently bought him a more advanced one (an E403) compared to the one he was using (an E175). In the process I took a look at some of the demo videos and the newer, more advanced PSR's (particularly the S series) look fairly impressive. We had a keyboard player in an old band who was a dab hand at extracting some very impressive performances from this type of keyboard.

It may also be worth looking at the Casio equivalents to give you a different sound palette.

You can also download additional styles for some of the PSR series so it might be worth checking to see if that is possible with his keyboard.

He's using psr1500..it has some great styles but not many. With him having so many songs, he's sick of the same old styles, and the discs with extras that we bought were made for generic Yamaha's and don't sound as good.

This is like 15 years ago..so that's why asked, cause things sure have changed in music making.

He doesnt play instruments well and is forced to write music using premade styles. Then he adds lyrics and combines.
ebeygin
New here

Postby James Perrett » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:11 am

Having done a quick search it appears that you can add new styles to it and there are people advertising new styles on Ebay. No idea how good they are though.

I found that Yamaha also offered additional styles for our lad's keyboard so it may be worth rummaging around Yamaha's website to see what is available.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby MOF » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:26 am

There’s also Music Memos by Apple for ios https://www.apple.com/uk/music-memos/
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby ebeygin » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:23 am

MOF wrote:There’s also Music Memos by Apple for ios https://www.apple.com/uk/music-memos/
Its a cool gimic! Im actually amazed by it. Thanks!
ebeygin
New here