You are here

Mobile Laptop

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Mobile Laptop

Postby dennisj » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:22 pm

Hey!

I've recently made the switch from Apple to Windows due to my MacBook dying.

I've bought a tower system for mixing which is great and super quick for running large, plugin heavy sessions. However, I'm looking for a laptop now to use for mobile recording.

I basically just need something for tracking live sessions and the occasional overdubs if needed. I won't be using many plugins at all, possibly the occasional VI but that's it with either Pro Tools or Cubase.

For capture I'll be using an Ancient ID22 into a Profire 2626 via ADAT but will possibly update the profire in the future with something not using firewire.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on something affordable to use! I've found an HP laptop running a 10th Gen i7 with 8gb Ram and an SSD which looks fairly tempting under £500 however I don't know how well these play with audio software and hardware. I remember a few year's ago there were a few more problems with Windows than there is today!

Thanks!
dennisj

Re: Mobile Laptop

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:39 pm

dennisj wrote:I've found an HP laptop running a 10th Gen i7 with 8gb Ram and an SSD which looks fairly tempting under £500 however I don't know how well these play with audio software and hardware. I remember a few year's ago there were a few more problems with Windows than there is today!

Actually, Windows 10 is very good for audio IMHO. I've had a lot fewer problems with it than earlier versions of the OS.

With regards to laptops, obviously a half-decent CPU, decent RAM and SSD help a great deal but one thing to bear in mind is that most laptops are built for portability rather than audio purposes and as such latency may be a problem in some cases. This may be less of a problem with external interfaces

I'm not really the person to advise on whether specific models are better than others but if you post as many details about the HP as you can find (specific model number, and ideally, chipset details) then hopefully others will be able to add more insight into its suitability for audio purposes.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby CS70 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:27 pm

So long you record external sources, the i7 with SSD should do. Latency is mostly irrelevant in that situation so, so long your interface has direct monitoring, you're set - the SSD ensure speedy read/write so no bottlenecks.

W10 is rock solid for recording (given of course that the drivers are well written) but of course you need to set it up: disable all power management from USB ports and other devices (including the BIOS), remove or temporarily stop any software that periodically pings home (such as mail applications, Dropbox etc ). You can go the extra mile disabling services which are not in use, even if with W10 I find there's little need.

When you record, turn off the network and you get a one-purpose machine who's entirely focused on the DAW application.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby resistorman » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:27 pm

I use a Dell Inspiron with similar specs and it works perfectly well recording 16 or so tracks from an XR18 or similar mixers from AH, Soundcraft, etc. I use Reaper for capture. I didn’t do anything except eliminate everything from startup.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby dennisj » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:40 pm

Ah amazing, thanks all for the responses!

Here is the specs on the site, I'm not looking to spend too much as I'm not going to be use it that often as most of my work is done at a studio.

This is £529 through currys at the moment.

Processor - Intel® Core™ i7-1065G7 Processor
- Quad-core
- 1.3 GHz / 3.9 GHz
- 8 MB cache
RAM 8 GB DDR4
Storage 256 GB SSD
Intel Optane 16 GB
SCREEN
Touchscreen No
Screen size 15.6”
Screen type SVA LCD
Resolution Full HD 1920 x 1080p
Screen features WLED backlighting
CONNECTIVITY
WiFi - Realtek RTL8821CE AC WiFi
- 1x1
Ethernet No
Bluetooth Bluetooth 4.2
USB - USB Type-C x 1
- USB 3.1 x 2
Video connections HDMI 1.4b x 1
Audio connections 3.5 mm jack

Thanks again!
dennisj

Postby resistorman » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:02 pm

That’s actually better specced than mine.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:28 pm

Virtually anything made in the last 15 years will handle 24 track recording. Your biggest issue is going to be finding something that works with the Profire interface - they need a Firewire connection which you won't find on anything less than about 7 years old. They also need a Firewire connection that uses the right type of Firewire chipset in the laptop which will be very hard to find.

With a modern laptop you'll have to use the Audient as your audio interface and then use the Profire in standalone mode as an 8 channel mic preamp connected to the Audient via an ADAT optical link.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby resistorman » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:46 am

James Perrett wrote:With a modern laptop you'll have to use the Audient as your audio interface and then use the Profire in standalone mode as an 8 channel mic preamp connected to the Audient via an ADAT optical link.

I think that’s what he is actually doing, though it’s not real clear...
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby dennisj » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:46 am

Ah yeah the plan was to run the profire in standalone mode! So, basically anything recent with an i7 is going to be fine? I mean for £500ish it all seems pretty decent. Thanks again for your help!
dennisj

Postby James Perrett » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:54 am

dennisj wrote:Ah yeah the plan was to run the profire in standalone mode! So, basically anything recent with an i7 is going to be fine? I mean for £500ish it all seems pretty decent. Thanks again for your help!

In which case I'd say that it looks like a good deal.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page