You are here

Considering going AMD for my new DAW build....

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Considering going AMD for my new DAW build....

Postby Will_m » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:51 pm

I've been Intel based for at least the last decade but I'm considering going AMD for a new DAW build, as the 3950X seems to offer a lot of power for the money. Here is my proposed build:

Mobo: Asrock Taichi (with Asrock TB card)
CPU: AMD 3950x
Cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro
RAM: Corsair 64GB 2133 (already owned)
GPU: Nvidia GTX1060 (already owned)
PSU: 650w EVGA Supernova (already owned)
SSD: Samsung EVO 970 500GB
SSD: Range of other SSD's (already owned)

My interface is an RME UFX+ so I've been looking at boards with either built in TB3 or an AIC option. The Taichi seems to be one of the few choices or the Asrock Creator has built in TB3.

I couldn't get my UFX+ working correctly on my current Intel build with an AIC so I'm a little nervous about using an AIC again, however the creator mobo with built in TB3 is quite pricey at £500.

My current CPU is an Intel 6900k, in Cubase I get dropouts on bigger projects, which seem to come from the first CPU core being overloaded, the other cores are quite high too though.

I've been using these great benchmarks from Pete Kaine which seem to suggest that even the 3900x is close in performance to the 9940x which costs considerably more, so I'm hoping the 3950x will be even better.

http://www.scanproaudio.info/2019/07/12/amd-ryzen-3600-3700x-3900x-dawbench-tested-3-is-it-the-magic-number/

I also have a slight concern with the X570 boards as they all seem to have a small fan on them which looks like it could be really noisy.

From what I'm reading there won't be another 9 series AMD cpu for a while but there may be another Intel release to challenge the current offering. I'm wondering if there are any current or future Intel options that might best the AMD offerings?
User avatar
Will_m
Regular
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:00 am
Location: Manchester
williammorrismusic.com

Re: Considering going AMD for my new DAW build....

Postby Folderol » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:11 pm

Just go for something available now if you're hitting the buffers. There will always be something better just round the corner, and it's easy to end up doing nothing.
User avatar
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9728
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:00 am
Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Re: Considering going AMD for my new DAW build....

Postby Will_m » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:29 pm

Folderol wrote:Just go for something available now if you're hitting the buffers. There will always be something better just round the corner, and it's easy to end up doing nothing.

I hear you, its just that I've been stung a bit before with new releases that are an improvement and for the same price as the previous series.

I'm also wanting to check the build I'm going for is the current best option for me, as well as my other concerns about going AMD on x570 and using TB etc.
User avatar
Will_m
Regular
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:00 am
Location: Manchester
williammorrismusic.com

Re: Considering going AMD for my new DAW build....

Postby resistorman » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:13 pm

I understand the desire to use the TB, but the RME USB is plenty fast. You could always hold off a while and get a 2700x with a 470 motherboard for great prices. I have one and it’s smoking fast. If you get the fastest memory available, you could even transfer that to a new build once this TB thing shakes down.
User avatar
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:00 am
Location: Asheville NC

Re: Considering going AMD for my new DAW build....

Postby Agharta » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:53 pm

Looking at the benchmarks you linked to and in the Kontakt one the Intel system is dramatically faster so I guess you don't use that much.

Intel have only recently updated their HEDT platform and prices have halved compared to the older one.
Not sure if they have reached retail yet and on whether prices have stabilised.
They currently seem to be on order with prices well above the expected based on official Intel tray pricing in some cases.

So nothing new is due to significantly change the market place for a CPU below a grand.
You are paying a large premium for TB3 support so I assume that is worth it to you.

The DDR4 2133 that you have will seriously bottleneck the AMD system as the system buss runs at the same speed as the RAM clock. They recommend at least 3200 and RAM is cheap right now.

As for the fan noise of the chipset fan you can only check reviews or ask Scan maybe!

I'd usually recommend AMD at this point but in this case it depends on whether you use Kontakt much, the chipset fan noise and whether you require the extra features of Intel's HEDT platform; double the RAM support and a lot more PCIe lanes.
The AMD chip will consume less power when you load it up so will be easier to cool quietly.

I still feel there's a slight risk with AMD platforms as they were marginalised for such a long time that full support isn't guaranteed.
The AM4 platform will get one last update towards the end of the year whereas the Intel one won't.

If the 14 core Intel does end up being around £800 soon I think it's worthy of consideration versus the AMD 16 core.
More balanced benchmark results, industry standard platform means better support, plus being HEDT gives it extra features.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3758
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:00 am

Re: Considering going AMD for my new DAW build....

Postby Will_m » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:06 pm

resistorman wrote:I understand the desire to use the TB, but the RME USB is plenty fast. You could always hold off a while and get a 2700x with a 470 motherboard for great prices. I have one and it’s smoking fast. If you get the fastest memory available, you could even transfer that to a new build once this TB thing shakes down.

Yeah the more I look into it the more I'm thinking TB isn't worth it, looking at some benchmarks over on GS the difference between TB and USB3 on the UFX+ seems to be around 4%, unless I'm reading it wrong.

Agharta wrote:Looking at the benchmarks you linked to and in the Kontakt one the Intel system is dramatically faster so I guess you don't use that much.

Intel have only recently updated their HEDT platform and prices have halved compared to the older one.
Not sure if they have reached retail yet and on whether prices have stabilised.
They currently seem to be on order with prices well above the expected based on official Intel tray pricing in some cases.

So nothing new is due to significantly change the market place for a CPU below a grand.
You are paying a large premium for TB3 support so I assume that is worth it to you.

The DDR4 2133 that you have will seriously bottleneck the AMD system as the system buss runs at the same speed as the RAM clock. They recommend at least 3200 and RAM is cheap right now.

As for the fan noise of the chipset fan you can only check reviews or ask Scan maybe!

I'd usually recommend AMD at this point but in this case it depends on whether you use Kontakt much, the chipset fan noise and whether you require the extra features of Intel's HEDT platform; double the RAM support and a lot more PCIe lanes.
The AMD chip will consume less power when you load it up so will be easier to cool quietly.

I still feel there's a slight risk with AMD platforms as they were marginalised for such a long time that full support isn't guaranteed.
The AM4 platform will get one last update towards the end of the year whereas the Intel one won't.

If the 14 core Intel does end up being around £800 soon I think it's worthy of consideration versus the AMD 16 core.
More balanced benchmark results, industry standard platform means better support, plus being HEDT gives it extra features.

Thanks for the detailed response! I'm a big user of Kontakt (100+ instances per project) so it definitely a factor for me.

The Scan benchmarks I spoke of seem to say that for Kontakt voice counts the Intel 9940x and 9960x are indeed way ahead of the AMD 3900x but those chips cost about double. The 3900x is more on par with the Intel 9900k/x which are around the same price and the 3900x comes out on top in the plug-in benchmarks above the Kontakt results.

So it seems like at the same price point AMD is ahead of Intel but I'm waiting to see if I can find any benchmarks for the 3950x vs the Intel 1020x/1040x.

It will be interesting to see what Intel do next with the new release and also their pricing.

Also thanks for info on the RAM speeds, I thought I might have to end up replacing my slow sticks with something.
User avatar
Will_m
Regular
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:00 am
Location: Manchester
williammorrismusic.com

Re: Considering going AMD for my new DAW build....

Postby Agharta » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:07 pm

Will_m wrote:Thanks for the detailed response! I'm a big user of Kontakt (100+ instances per project) so it definitely a factor for me.

The Scan benchmarks I spoke of seem to say that for Kontakt voice counts the Intel 9940x and 9960x are indeed way ahead of the AMD 3900x but those chips cost about double. The 3900x is more on par with the Intel 9900k/x which are around the same price and the 3900x comes out on top in the plug-in benchmarks above the Kontakt results.

So it seems like at the same price point AMD is ahead of Intel but I'm waiting to see if I can find any benchmarks for the 3950x vs the Intel 1020x/1040x.

It will be interesting to see what Intel do next with the new release and also their pricing.

Intel have almost halved the pricing for the 14 & 18 core 10 series versus the 9 series so for Kontakt usage they should easily offer better performance per buck than the Ryzen 16 core.
The 10 series is a mild refresh so don't expect any significant differences in general performance, so I'd buy based on 9 series performance.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15039/th ... 0xe-review
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3758
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:00 am

Re: Considering going AMD for my new DAW build....

Postby Will_m » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:25 am

Agharta wrote:
Will_m wrote:Thanks for the detailed response! I'm a big user of Kontakt (100+ instances per project) so it definitely a factor for me.

The Scan benchmarks I spoke of seem to say that for Kontakt voice counts the Intel 9940x and 9960x are indeed way ahead of the AMD 3900x but those chips cost about double. The 3900x is more on par with the Intel 9900k/x which are around the same price and the 3900x comes out on top in the plug-in benchmarks above the Kontakt results.

So it seems like at the same price point AMD is ahead of Intel but I'm waiting to see if I can find any benchmarks for the 3950x vs the Intel 1020x/1040x.

It will be interesting to see what Intel do next with the new release and also their pricing.

Intel have almost halved the pricing for the 14 & 18 core 10 series versus the 9 series so for Kontakt usage they should easily offer better performance per buck than the Ryzen 16 core.
The 10 series is a mild refresh so don't expect any significant differences in general performance, so I'd buy based on 9 series performance.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15039/th ... 0xe-review

That's interesting, the 14 core Intel is currently £900 and the 16 core AMD is at £740, the AMD also has slightly higher clock speeds, both base and turbo. Have you seen any testing that suggests the Intel beats out the AMD here?

The scan testing seems to show around a 40% difference between the 14 core Intel and the AMD but that AMD is the 12 core 3900x and is around half the price of the Intel. The 3900x also seems to beat the 14 core Intel in the plug-in instances test, which is definitely a consideration for me.
User avatar
Will_m
Regular
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:00 am
Location: Manchester
williammorrismusic.com

Re: Considering going AMD for my new DAW build....

Postby Folderol » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:36 am

The overall impression I get is that Intel are trying to squeeze the last few pips out of their chip design, while AMD have a lot of space for continued development of theirs.
User avatar
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9728
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:00 am
Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Re: Considering going AMD for my new DAW build....

Postby Agharta » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:28 pm

With regard the Scan test results, it varies a lot depending on the buffer size used.
So look at the results that relate to the size you use.
The 16 core Ryzen will at best offer 25 to 30 percent more performance than the 12 core.
I don’t think that the prices for the intel chips have settled down yet.
So the comparison is AMD 16c v Intel 14c.

If you choose AMD I would be tempted to go 12c and by the time you outgrow that they will have the 4th generation 16c released.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3758
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:00 am

Re: Considering going AMD for my new DAW build....

Postby Will_m » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:16 pm

Agharta wrote:With regard the Scan test results, it varies a lot depending on the buffer size used.
So look at the results that relate to the size you use.
The 16 core Ryzen will at best offer 25 to 30 percent more performance than the 12 core.
I don’t think that the prices for the intel chips have settled down yet.
So the comparison is AMD 16c v Intel 14c.

If you choose AMD I would be tempted to go 12c and by the time you outgrow that they will have the 4th generation 16c released.

I'd like to be more at the 256 or 512 buffer but at present I have to go higher quite quickly as my projects get very heavy.

I like the idea of maybe getting the 3900x and then waiting for the next 16 core. Do you know if the new chips will be the same socket though? I probably couldn't afford the downtime of changing motherboard again.
User avatar
Will_m
Regular
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:00 am
Location: Manchester
williammorrismusic.com

Re: Considering going AMD for my new DAW build....

Postby Agharta » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:30 pm

Will_m wrote:I like the idea of maybe getting the 3900x and then waiting for the next 16 core. Do you know if the new chips will be the same socket though? I probably couldn't afford the downtime of changing motherboard again.

Almost certainly from everything they have said, so I'd say 99% certain at this point.
They are making a public announcement today at CES so if there's been a material change this might be the time to signpost it.
Worst case scenario and you can still buy the 3950x next year or so and judging by AMD's recent pricing the older models tend to get a decent price cut down the line.

Now's a good time to buy loads of RAM as prices are very low but it's rarely worth buying more CPU power than you need if your system can be upgraded as prices tend to drop, at least for AMD.
SSD prices supposedly may rise this year due to the Supply and Demand ratio working against us.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3758
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:00 am

Re: Considering going AMD for my new DAW build....

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:23 pm

Will_m wrote:My interface is an RME UFX+ so I've been looking at boards with either built in TB3 or an AIC option. The Taichi seems to be one of the few choices or the Asrock Creator has built in TB3.

I couldn't get my UFX+ working correctly on my current Intel build with an AIC so I'm a little nervous about using an AIC again, however the creator mobo with built in TB3 is quite pricey at £500.

There is no difference between AIC and "on-board" at this point, in both cases it's a none native controller chip that needs supporting at the BIOS level to work. Issues in the past were normally fixable through a BIOS update, but only if the mainboard firm could be convinced to look into it.

Often you could solve it by slot swapping, BIOS tweaking and trying different builds of the TB driver / management package until it started working. Admittedly, an absolute pain in the arris for the longest time, but it's improved over the last year or so since MS started to improve it's OS level support.

Will_m wrote:My current CPU is an Intel 6900k, in Cubase I get dropouts on bigger projects, which seem to come from the first CPU core being overloaded, the other cores are quite high too though.

A single core overload would suggest that you might have a plug-in or third party program running in the background that is hard coded to one core. Sometimes updating or replacing the culprit might help level that out, although if the other cores are looking fairly busy too then I guess your just approaching the limits of what that chip can do.

I've been using these great benchmarks from Pete Kaine which seem to suggest that even the 3900x is close in performance to the 9940x which costs considerably more, so I'm hoping the 3950x will be even better.

Yeah, it's better, although i'm not sure it's amazing on the "bang per buck" stakes. I did start a round of testing before x-mas, although the 18 core chips broke the test again, so Vin's been buildng a new suite revision for us which will be released over the coming weeks. I need to go and retest everything again, which is on the cards just as soon as I get my hearing back from NAMM.

The other reason I've not published of late is that stock and the release scheduels have been screwy since November too. I saw a 3950X sample and then no stock till over x-mas, similarly I only saw 10920X and 10980XE samples but no stock from those or elsewhere in the range.

I've given those a quick look over using one of the beta builds, so I'm not going to give out figures, but I'll comment on related differences.

The 10920X is the Intel £800 chip running 12 cores/24 threads base clock 3.5/4.6 turbo
The 3900X is the AMD £470 chip running 12 cores/24 threads base clock 3.8/4.6 turbo
The 3950X is the AMD £740 chip running 16 cores/32 threads base clock 3.5/4.7 turbo

The 3900X is 15% - 20% higher performing than the Intel
The 3950X is about 10% higher performing than the 3900X (30% higher than the Intel), yes we've more cores, but the extra heat means that they tend to hit a lower average speed in heavy use.

The thing I noticed with AMD is that unlike Intel and their staggered cores, AMD when put into the optimized creators mode it will attempt to balance the cores for you which to be fair is pretty much what we want to see.

What this means is that when I tested the 3700X and the 3800X, they both turbo'd to about 4.2GHz and the benchmarks were surprisingly close together, enough that I still advise the cheaper 3700X.

The 3950X is a great chip, it just breaks the price curve and due to that load balancing method, I'm not sure if the £300 over the 3900X is all that tempting unless you need the extra overhead. It feels like they may have gone a little aggressive on the 3900X pricing and I suspect we'll see them slowly adjust those prices to see what the market can take going forward. After all when you force your main competitor to halve their street price in order to attempt to remain relevent, I can see the shareholders questioning some of those price points as market share swings.

I also have a slight concern with the X570 boards as they all seem to have a small fan on them which looks like it could be really noisy.

Not yet, although I feel it's ineveitable that they'll break over the long term given past experience, only we can't predict how annoying it'll prove to be until it starts to happen.

From what I'm reading there won't be another 9 series AMD cpu for a while but there may be another Intel release to challenge the current offering. I'm wondering if there are any current or future Intel options that might best the AMD offerings?

Threadripper is next on the cards I believe, some monster ones coming, although It's going to be interesting to see if any of the DAW's handle 60+ threads properly. TR had real lag with it's multi-die design on earlier generations and I didn't take a look on the second generation, I may have to throw one of those on the desk in due course too and see if that's improved too.

Agharta wrote:Intel have only recently updated their HEDT platform and prices have halved compared to the older one.
Not sure if they have reached retail yet and on whether prices have stabilised.

It all happened in November, although the UK channel in it's infinete wisdom said "well, you announced the new models, where are they", to which Intel went "what do you mean you don't want to buy up all our lovely old stock now that we told the public something better was coming out in a few weeks".

Other countries have 9 series stock at the lower prices, whilst the UK channel has zero 9 series stock and has done since about November 2nd and no real wish to invest in something they consider dead and buried.

I'm sure you can probably take a wild guess at my feelings on this scenario currently and be fairly close my thoughts on the matter.

Agharta wrote:They currently seem to be on order with prices well above the expected based on official Intel tray pricing in some cases.

I'm sure prices are marked high in most cases so that it guides users towards the 10 series instead.

Agharta wrote:So nothing new is due to significantly change the market place for a CPU below a grand.
You are paying a large premium for TB3 support so I assume that is worth it to you.

The DDR4 2133 that you have will seriously bottleneck the AMD system as the system buss runs at the same speed as the RAM clock. They recommend at least 3200 and RAM is cheap right now.

I don't however. The performance loss I saw on earlier generations looks to have been largely down to memory choices. The optimum RAM I've found this generation wasn't available even 6 months ago and finally it closes those memory hole I've complained about since day one. To me it looks like they set this crazy internal bus and then brought it to market before the RAM firms could catch up, although it looks like finally it's all converging.

The optimum is 3733MHz and tweaked timings, although that RAM is expensive. What I found however, is that you need to be getting the RAM to run with roughly a 70-80ns response time in order to get the most out of the CPU.

There is a load of "Ryzen optimized" versions of the 3600MHz kits kicking about now from a few different firms and it's not a marketing gimmick in this instance. Those kits have D.O.C.P profiles that will land you somewhere in the 75ns region without even trying.

Given I've spent a morning overclocking RAM off the shelf and hit 72ns at best, only to then open one of these packets and hit 74ns without any effort on my behalf... well, the extra tenner I feel is a wise choice and it still comes in cheaper than the 3733 kits.

Agharta wrote:As for the fan noise of the chipset fan you can only check reviews or ask Scan maybe!

Unfortently, reviews are pointless for fan noise like this, the real quesiton is what it sounds like at the 12 month mark.


Agharta wrote:The AMD chip will consume less power when you load it up so will be easier to cool quietly.

The throttle point is also 10 - 20 degrees lower, so you've got to work harder to keep it lower as the voltage saving isn't that amazing. Yes, the AMD's have it on paper, but haven't been convinced about them being any easier to cool quietly.

Agharta wrote:I still feel there's a slight risk with AMD platforms as they were marginalised for such a long time that full support isn't guaranteed.

Agreed and a number of firms carry warnings about incompatabilites to this end. I always ask people to check with manufacturers of key equipetment before changing platforms.

The AM4 platform will get one last update towards the end of the year whereas the Intel one won't.

We live in hope, We've been waiting on that new Intel platform for about 3 years now...

If the 14 core Intel does end up being around £800 soon I think it's worthy of consideration versus the AMD 16 core.
More balanced benchmark results, industry standard platform means better support, plus being HEDT gives it extra features.

Agreed, although they are due to land around £900, I agree that your pricepoint would make more sense through.

Will_m wrote:The Scan benchmarks I spoke of seem to say that for Kontakt voice counts the Intel 9940x and 9960x are indeed way ahead of the AMD 3900x but those chips cost about double. The 3900x is more on par with the Intel 9900k/x which are around the same price and the 3900x comes out on top in the plug-in benchmarks above the Kontakt results.

All correct, if using 3200MHz memory, the 3700X is pretty much neck and neck with the 9900K.

Stick that 3600MHz kit in there and it pulls ahead by roughly the 20% it was previously missing on the tighter buffers.

Folderol wrote:The overall impression I get is that Intel are trying to squeeze the last few pips out of their chip design, while AMD have a lot of space for continued development of theirs.

Well, from what we've seen AMD is absolutely kicking the living daylights out of the current chip range, apparent in the fact there is no overclocking overhead to be had...
although, the arguement could be made that they are simply extracting as much performance out of them as they can before they leave the factory and it's not like Intel has any overhead at this point either.

Intel as we know missed the die shrink... twice, at this point. They had a load of overhead in there to play with, right up until this generation where they threw pretty much everything at the wall in a blind panic in hope that something stuck and whilst it did most people feel it wasn't enough. Until the acheive that process refinement they are in rough place, although it's now expected this year, the question we're all asking is "is it going to happen before AMD manage to get their next process refinement out of the door?"
User avatar
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3116
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Manchester
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Re: Considering going AMD for my new DAW build....

Postby merlyn » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:02 pm

@Pete : Thanks for that. I feel up to date on where the hardware is at now.

Is there any advantage for audio in using an X570 chipset?

What about the other AM4 chipsets like B350? They have the advantage of not having a fan.
merlyn
Regular
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:15 am

Re: Considering going AMD for my new DAW build....

Postby Will_m » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:37 pm

Hi Pete, thanks for taking the time to do such a detailed post, its been really useful.

Pete Kaine wrote:There is no difference between AIC and "on-board" at this point, in both cases it's a none native controller chip that needs supporting at the BIOS level to work. Issues in the past were normally fixable through a BIOS update, but only if the mainboard firm could be convinced to look into it.

Often you could solve it by slot swapping, BIOS tweaking and trying different builds of the TB driver / management package until it started working. Admittedly, an absolute pain in the arris for the longest time, but it's improved over the last year or so since MS started to improve it's OS level support.

I did get my RME sort of working with TB on my Asus mobo but I was experiencing strange bit-crusher sounding audio (only windows audio). It was intermittent but I never managed to track down a cause. I would like to try TB again on a new build but I'm not sure its worth the extra expense as from the testing I've seen the TB on RME doesn't offer a huge gain on over just using the USB3 option.

Pete Kaine wrote:I've given those a quick look over using one of the beta builds, so I'm not going to give out figures, but I'll comment on related differences.

The 10920X is the Intel £800 chip running 12 cores/24 threads base clock 3.5/4.6 turbo
The 3900X is the AMD £470 chip running 12 cores/24 threads base clock 3.8/4.6 turbo
The 3950X is the AMD £740 chip running 16 cores/32 threads base clock 3.5/4.7 turbo

The 3900X is 15% - 20% higher performing than the Intel
The 3950X is about 10% higher performing than the 3900X (30% higher than the Intel), yes we've more cores, but the extra heat means that they tend to hit a lower average speed in heavy use.

The thing I noticed with AMD is that unlike Intel and their staggered cores, AMD when put into the optimized creators mode it will attempt to balance the cores for you which to be fair is pretty much what we want to see.

What this means is that when I tested the 3700X and the 3800X, they both turbo'd to about 4.2GHz and the benchmarks were surprisingly close together, enough that I still advise the cheaper 3700X.

The 3950X is a great chip, it just breaks the price curve and due to that load balancing method, I'm not sure if the £300 over the 3900X is all that tempting unless you need the extra overhead. It feels like they may have gone a little aggressive on the 3900X pricing and I suspect we'll see them slowly adjust those prices to see what the market can take going forward. After all when you force your main competitor to halve their street price in order to attempt to remain relevent, I can see the shareholders questioning some of those price points as market share swings.

Sounds like the 3900x might be the sweet spot for me then if the 3950x is looking like a 10% gain. Is this 10% on the Kontakt voice count test or the SGA1566 test? Both are important to me really, I'd say I have 70-100 instances of Kontakt and have some quite heavy plug-in usage as well.

Pete Kaine wrote:Not yet, although I feel it's ineveitable that they'll break over the long term given past experience, only we can't predict how annoying it'll prove to be until it starts to happen.

That was my worry and a quick youtube search on the Asrock Taichi fan reveals a few issues with noise that seem to be from a faulty fan. If this is only fixable through RMA then that would be an issue for me. I thought I saw something about a few x570 boards with passive cooling though.

Pete Kaine wrote:There is a load of "Ryzen optimized" versions of the 3600MHz kits kicking about now from a few different firms and it's not a marketing gimmick in this instance. Those kits have D.O.C.P profiles that will land you somewhere in the 75ns region without even trying.

Given I've spent a morning overclocking RAM off the shelf and hit 72ns at best, only to then open one of these packets and hit 74ns without any effort on my behalf... well, the extra tenner I feel is a wise choice and it still comes in cheaper than the 3733 kits.

Sounds like ryzen optimised kits might be the best option for me then!

Overall seems like I might be better off holding out to see what happens with Intel. I've been tying to find confirmation if 4th gen Ryzen will be on X570 as like agharta suggests maybe I could go for the 3900x then upgrade on the same board further down the line.
User avatar
Will_m
Regular
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:00 am
Location: Manchester
williammorrismusic.com

Re: Considering going AMD for my new DAW build....

Postby Agharta » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:53 pm

Will_m wrote:Overall seems like I might be better off holding out to see what happens with Intel. I've been tying to find confirmation if 4th gen Ryzen will be on X570 as like agharta suggests maybe I could go for the 3900x then upgrade on the same board further down the line.

The only thing that Intel have on the horizon is more 14nm parts.
They have a 10 core desktop chip due 20H1 but that is with a new socket and almost certainly a dead end platform as when they finally release 10nm parts expect a new socket.
That 10 core supposedly is using well over 200W which is hardly a surprise.

Intel first released 14nm parts in 2014 and right now the only 10nm parts they have on the wider market are a few 15W quad core laptop chips.
10nm was expected in 2017 so that shows what a mess it is in.
You might well be waiting until 2021/2022 for a big gain from Intel on desktop.
If/when they finally sort it they will probably focus on Server as that's where the money is.
Or you might have to wait until they release 7nm desktop chips.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3758
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:00 am

Re: Considering going AMD for my new DAW build....

Postby Will_m » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:36 am

Agharta wrote:
Will_m wrote:Overall seems like I might be better off holding out to see what happens with Intel. I've been tying to find confirmation if 4th gen Ryzen will be on X570 as like agharta suggests maybe I could go for the 3900x then upgrade on the same board further down the line.

The only thing that Intel have on the horizon is more 14nm parts.
They have a 10 core desktop chip due 20H1 but that is with a new socket and almost certainly a dead end platform as when they finally release 10nm parts expect a new socket.
That 10 core supposedly is using well over 200W which is hardly a surprise.

Intel first released 14nm parts in 2014 and right now the only 10nm parts they have on the wider market are a few 15W quad core laptop chips.
10nm was expected in 2017 so that shows what a mess it is in.
You might well be waiting until 2021/2022 for a big gain from Intel on desktop.
If/when they finally sort it they will probably focus on Server as that's where the money is.
Or you might have to wait until they release 7nm desktop chips.

Ah good to know, well I think I'm leaning towards AMD, just wanted to check the Intel options.

One thing I've just been looking at though is the 3600 RAM is almost double the price of the 3200 kits at the 64GB option.
User avatar
Will_m
Regular
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:00 am
Location: Manchester
williammorrismusic.com

Re: Considering going AMD for my new DAW build....

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:54 am

merlyn wrote:Is there any advantage for audio in using an X570 chipset?

PCIe 4.0 if you want one of the new generation NVMe drives other than that, nothing that comes to mind right now.

[/quote]
What about the other AM4 chipsets like B350? They have the advantage of not having a fan.[/quote]

Lacking the PCIe 4.0 support and the mainstream consummer boards are likely to have less capable VRM's and supporting hardware meaning less opportunity to overclock. Although given that the overclocking with these chips is poor anyhow, maybe that isn't such a bit deal, but personally I would look to spend the extra on a better board in the even that I was picking up something as power hungry as a 3900x or above.

Will_m wrote:I did get my RME sort of working with TB on my Asus mobo but I was experiencing strange bit-crusher sounding audio (only windows audio). It was intermittent but I never managed to track down a cause.

That would suggest to me that the CPU is overloading or milding dropping out. Possibly something triggering in the background if it's intermittent.

Will_m wrote:Sounds like the 3900x might be the sweet spot for me then if the 3950x is looking like a 10% gain. Is this 10% on the Kontakt voice count test or the SGA1566 test? Both are important to me really, I'd say I have 70-100 instances of Kontakt and have some quite heavy plug-in usage as well.

Depending on the buffer setting, both. At higher buffers the Kontakt handling improved marginally.
User avatar
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3116
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Manchester
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio