You are here

Laptop for Live Electronic Music

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Laptop for Live Electronic Music

Postby Mike McLoone » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:22 pm

The Elf wrote:I hear these stories, but I don't experience them myself!

It's Murphy's Law, they could be all piling up on your computer waiting for that performance on TOTP!

So far I've had parts of Windows such as the search in the start menu stop working, then magically fix itself again a month later. There was one update which deleted the contents of some users "My Documents" folder. Not that you'd have anything important in there...
Mike McLoone
Regular
"It's all gone quiet." said Rhubarb "Not nearly quiet enough." said John Cage

Postby MOF » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:52 pm

It's Murphy's Law, they could be all piling up on your computer waiting for that performance on TOTP!

Do you know something we don’t know, high time TOTP came back.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:50 pm

Mike McLoone wrote:I do apologize Elf and Dave if my previous post was a bit of a rant. I'm really just venting my frustration at Microsoft, not at anyone here!
It's all good! I read nothing to apologise for.

Mike McLoone wrote:The other option is to install two copies of Windows 10, and have one which has internet access, and the other which is strictly for audio which has all the network access disabled.
If you're going to go this way then I'd say that two laptops, one of which you connect, the other you don't, would be a simpler and safer option than two copies of Windows on one machine - and easier to manage. If you are serious about it you're going to need a second laptop anyway, so not much of a leap.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:10 pm

I'm a late onset Apple fanboi (well not entirely :lol: they ain't perfect). I moved over to Macs when a mate offered me a G5 for not much money. Frustrations with computers (partly but not entirely Windows related) had pushed me into going entirely hardware again for recording and when my new ex display windows laptop started playing up three weeks after I bought it I decided to buy a new 2011 MBP. Apple OSX upgrades have been FOC for years, they do pretty much work straight out of the box and while many things frustrate me about them I'm pretty sure Windows would be just as bad. My studio Mac Pro is a 2008 running OSX 10.11 El Capitan and Reaper. It works just fine.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:27 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I'm a late onset Apple fanboi (well not entirely :lol: they ain't perfect). I moved over to Macs when a mate offered me a G5 for not much money. Frustrations with computers (partly but not entirely Windows related) had pushed me into going entirely hardware again for recording and when my new ex display windows laptop started playing up three weeks after I bought it I decided to buy a new 2011 MBP. Apple OSX upgrades have been FOC for years, they do pretty much work straight out of the box and while many things frustrate me about them I'm pretty sure Windows would be just as bad. My studio Mac Pro is a 2008 running OSX 10.11 El Capitan and Reaper. It works just fine.
...and if you updated to the latest OS you'd find stuff that doesn't work fine - I know many who have fallen foul of this!

Mac or PC - it's all pretty much the same basic principles.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:37 am

Agreed, but I've never done that and the fruit don't seem to be as autocratic as Windoze when it comes to updates. And anyway the old Mac Pros in the studio and office are maxed out at El Cap, the MBPs and wife's iMac can handle Catalina but are still happily running 10.13 High Sierra.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Previous