You are here

Windows 10 better security?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Windows 10 better security?

Postby ef37a » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:12 pm

Pah!

Somehow, yesterday I picked up an anti virus program called "SantiviruService" aka "SEGURAZO". The thing was consuming 67% of my i7CPU.

I tried to uninstall it with Revo but each time the prog wanted me to restart the laptop. Had that before and it means Revo cannot clean the registry but in this case you cannot avoid it.
Either you uninstall the way Santivirus wants you to or it does not go away! I therefore unistalled from Windows progs but even so I had to do a reboot...And THEN they throw up a bloody survey! (naturally I told them I loved it)

I had to install Ccleaner to check the registry and sure enough they was load of **** in there and it took 3 passes to clear is completely.

Now I have used Cleaner for years (as I have Revo. Thank you Mr Walker of the late, saddly missed PC Notes) but still have the old version on my W7 PCs . Because of the warnings of changes to Cc I did not want it on this new Lenovo but I felt I need edit. PITA it 'almost' insists you leave the automatic 'smart' cleaner on. No bloody fear!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: Windows 10 better security?

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:34 pm

Segurazo is an 'antivirus' program that is effectively a spam/marketing piece of garbage that adds pop-up adverts, redirects and promotional content to your normal browser sessions, plus can make the browser run slower.

However, it's not strictly a virus AFAIK, just a piece of junk software. You should be able to remove it by clicking the start menu, typing the word 'add' to bring up 'Add or remove programs', selecting that and then uninstalling it in the normal way.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby James Perrett » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:32 pm

Did you just install Audacity by any chance? A friend of mine was tearing his hair out wondering why Acid would no longer save any recordings after he installed Audacity. Uninstalling Audacity didn't help either. It turned out to be this Segazuro software which must have been installed alongside Audacity. After some effort he managed to remove it and things seem to be back to normal.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:11 pm

That's a good point James.

There are some sources of software that will bundle unwanted crud with otherwise perfectly admirable pieces of free/open source stuff. Sourceforge was guilty of this for a while. I don't know if they still are but anything I get from there I regard with extreme caution as they have been downright shoddy in the past.

It's always best to get software direct from the original creators if you can.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby ef37a » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:30 am

James Perrett wrote:Did you just install Audacity by any chance? A friend of mine was tearing his hair out wondering why Acid would no longer save any recordings after he installed Audacity. Uninstalling Audacity didn't help either. It turned out to be this Segazuro software which must have been installed alongside Audacity. After some effort he managed to remove it and things seem to be back to normal.

I have Audacity James but I installed that 29/12/19 whereas that crap was dated 21/1/20 and the only thing that fits datewise is a soundcard driver SUPPOSEDLY from Lenovo!
In any case I got Audacity from ninite and that has always been clean and junk free.

Ccleaner seems to have removed it, my CPU pull at the moment is ~20%.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster