You are here

Stopping Multiple services on music PC

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Stopping Multiple services on music PC

Postby pa28 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:00 pm

I get fed up stopping/disabling a lot of services on my Win 7 64bit PC which rarely goes on the internet and not needing Security essentials that I cant stop,

Can I create a "list" or other way that doesn't require a degree in computer science to stop all the pointless services that keep running on startup and making me use higher than desirable buffer settings. (Cubase 8.5 Pro) so many are related to networks,remote servers etc etc that they are just a waste of CPU/ram.
pa28
Regular
Capitalisation is the difference between helping your uncle jack off a horse  & helping your Uncle Jack off a horse.

Re: Stopping Multiple services on music PC

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:36 pm

Hi,

The last time I did some tests on removing Windows services was admittedly a few years back, but in my case it made little difference to my RAM consumption, and precious little (if any) difference to audio performance.

I also ran into some problems a week or so later that resulted in me having to restore my previous Windows version, so I came to the conclusion that trimming Services really wasn't worth the hassle.

Your mileage may vary of course ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby James Perrett » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:18 pm

Probably the easiest thing to do is to disable networking whenever you need low latency audio.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby OneWorld » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:46 am

James Perrett wrote:Probably the easiest thing to do is to disable networking whenever you need low latency audio.

Do you mean disable the network card, or is there a way to stop the associated services, do you mean use the NET STOP command?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby James Perrett » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:25 am

I have a handy switch on the side of my laptop to enable/disable wifi but I also have all the other network adaptors disabled in the control panel. I don't actually disable any of the networking services when I'm using this laptop for recording.
James Perrett

Postby Watchmaker » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:40 am

You can get to the list of start up items by typing "msconfig" in your run command. A bit more advanced would be to navigate to services by typing "services.msc" in the run command.

While you can access services in the misconfig window, it is generally better to go directly to them via services.msc.

Blackviper.com has been my go to windows config baseline for many many years and I learned much from his site. Not for kittens or rubes though so I disclaim any responsibility for following his advice. Scroll to the bottom for links to OS config options, explanations and discussion.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby CS70 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:09 pm

Type “Services” in the start panel

Open the services applet

Select the service you want to disable and right click (guess you have to select “properties”)

A dialog box opens.

Select “Disable” from the drop down list (instead of “Automatic” or “Manual”)

Push ok.

Repeat for all services you want disabled.

Obviously if you disable a wrong one the system won’t start. It’s not hard to fix but a little convoluted, so the easiest is to make a system restore point beforehand.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:09 pm

It's not clear from the original post whether there really is a problem or whether this is a speculative exercise.

Although downloading bulk data at speed will load the CPU somewhat this is usually a user-initiated process (there are some exceptions of course) and if running a system where disabling services makes any appreciable difference then I'd say you're running it too hot anyway and probably need to either upgrade it or scale down the load you're asking it to perform.

Disabling services isn't really a good idea unless you know exactly what you're doing (and one list won't fit all by any means) and as Martin found it doesn't make any appreciable difference in the main. Microsoft also have a history of strange dependancies and as others have said it's easy to screw things up if you disable something that looks like it shouldn't be needed.

That said, disabling a network card is safe enough, does make more sense from a CPU point of view and is easily done in the control panel. I'd do no more than that to be honest.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby James Perrett » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:58 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:That said, disabling a network card is safe enough, does make more sense from a CPU point of view and is easily done in the control panel. I'd do no more than that to be honest.

I mentioned the network card in my original reply because it often seems to cause higher DPC latencies.
James Perrett

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:02 am

James Perrett wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:That said, disabling a network card is safe enough, does make more sense from a CPU point of view and is easily done in the control panel. I'd do no more than that to be honest.

I mentioned the network card in my original reply because it often seems to cause higher DPC latencies.

That makes complete sense.

The main point I was making is that disabling other services is not going to achieve the same benefit as your suggestion of disabling the network card, to the point where it's probably not worth doing anything other than that.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby CS70 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:46 am

Windows 10 is also doing a heavy use of cron jobs - aka scheduled tasks in windows lingo.

It is a much better design than having "heavy" services waking up, but occasionally can be a source of trouble if a task is scheduled to run in the middle of your recording session.

Use the task scheduler to see when the last tasks have been run, and reschedule at will if you need to to.

Also running perfmon /report will give you a comprehensive report on what's going on on your PC. While certain parts are more technical, some of the info is easy to understand and useful.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:51 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:Disabling services isn't really a good idea unless you know exactly what you're doing (and one list won't fit all by any means) and as Martin found it doesn't make any appreciable difference in the main. Microsoft also have a history of strange dependancies and as others have said it's easy to screw things up if you disable something that looks like it shouldn't be needed.

Further to my previous post I've just tracked down a quote from one of my ancient PC Musician features from 2006 covering the good, the bad and the pointless of Windows XP tweaks ;)

"...so many musicians seem keen to delve into the intricacies of the Service list that I decided to carry out a practical experiment by disabling all the Services I possibly could on my own music PC and then measuring any improvements I could find. Initially, the Windows Task Manager told me that as soon as I reached the desktop Windows was using 205.6MB of my system RAM, and that the only CPU overhead was the two percent taken by Task Manager itself.

After very carefully disabling every possible Service that a non-networked music-only PC wouldn't need (on my PC, some 46 Services in all), I rebooted. The total CPU overhead was still exactly the same, at two percent, but the system RAM consumption was now down to 197.6MB: a negligible improvement of just 8MB. To double-check for any audio improvement, I ran a song that had previously been struggling at the limits of both my CPU and RAM, even with an audio interface latency of 20ms, and found no improvement at all. I rest my case!"

And here's the sobering follow-up to my Windows Service Tweaks, written for a PC Notes column a short time later:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/usb-ports

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:29 pm

James Perrett wrote:

It's not uncommon for the wifi device drivers to cause DPC overloads when they are being aggresive. You don't need to kill the services, just disable the wifi device.

Try this.

https://www.howtogeek.com/275715/how-to ... n-windows/
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio