You are here

NUC 10 can it be my new DAW?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

NUC 10 can it be my new DAW?

Postby Johnny Stecchino » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:27 am

Hi to all,
long time missing from the forum :cry:
In the last 2 years I was writing and recording music on my Ipad using Cubasis app as my DAW. I thought though soon to use again a desktop and upgrade my old Cubase 5 to Cubase 10 (so I can do more editing and use also my sample libraries - mainly from Kontakt but not only). The DAW which I build more than 10 years ago has Intel DP35DP MOBO, E6750 CPU (got also Q9650 which I can install) and 8RAM.
We bought few months ago for the house an intel NUC 8i3BNH which is cute and seems more potent than my old DAW (according to CPU mark, didn’t try any Audio/Midi software).
I notice that the Intel NUC 10 just went out for sale recently and wonder if anyone here use it as a DAW.
The i7 version https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... i7fnh.html
has got 12384 cpu mark in cpubenchmark.net which is 3-4 times more than my DAW and I can install till 64Gb of RAM on it! Any other ideas? I haven’t check for some years now the desktop components so can’t Really compare.

Thanks in advance!
Jonathan
Johnny Stecchino
Regular
Pro. violinist who likes some experiments...

Re: NUC 10 can it be my new DAW?

Postby zenguitar » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:29 am

Can’t help with your question, but welcome back :thumbup:

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Johnny Stecchino » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:49 am

zenguitar wrote:Can’t help with your question, but welcome back :thumbup:

Andy :beamup:

Cheers Andy!
:bouncy:
Johnny Stecchino
Regular

Postby Pete Kaine » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:44 am

It depend how you use it as the "U" series chip you have in there tend to have rather low base clocks. Fine for recording but the staggered clock has the potential to be annoying. Chips stagger their turbos, so of the 12 threads 1 might hit 4.7 whilst the rest will be 4.3, 3.9, 3.5, 3.1 etc... down to somewhere near the baseclock.

Complete channel strips tend to be fully processed on a single given thread as splitting them often incures more overhead than it's worth. This leads to a situation where if you're just working with a few light plugins on each channel it's fairly easy to balance efficently, but if you have a number of more complex channels, then you start to run the risk of a heavy channel landing on a core with slow clocks. In this scenario the system is only as capable as the slowest core and once that overloads it'll crackle and pop across the mix.

With the bigger desktop chips we can level the playing field by averaging the cores (all cores to turbo max is my preference where possible) but it's not really viable in the NUC's. I have one sat on my desk ramping up and down as I'm typing and my concen would be the temps raising underload, the power saving kicking in cripping the chip and overloading the session.

Of course, as I prefaced this, it all depends on how you use it. If you're mostly recording audio with small effects chains or even just a lot of bouncing down as you work then it's probably more power than you'd ever want for, if you're more prone to doing a bit of sound design however, it might leave you a but perplexed.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Johnny Stecchino » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:05 am

Pete Kaine wrote:It depend how you use it as the "U" series chip you have in there tend to have rather low base clocks. Fine for recording but the staggered clock has the potential to be annoying. Chips stagger their turbos, so of the 12 threads 1 might hit 4.7 whilst the rest will be 4.3, 3.9, 3.5, 3.1 etc... down to somewhere near the Baseclock.

Pete Kaine wrote:With the bigger desktop chips we can level the playing field by averaging the cores (all cores to turbo max is my preference where possible) but it's not really viable in the NUC's.

Oh, I didn’t know that thanks for opening my eyes!

Pete Kaine wrote:Of course, as I prefaced this, it all depends on how you use it. If you're mostly recording audio with small effects chains or even just a lot of bouncing down as you work then it's probably more power than you'd ever want for, if you're more prone to doing a bit of sound design however, it might leave you a but perplexed.

Dear Pete,
I was hoping to an answer from you and you just clarified the situation, thanks!
Till now I actually never used more than 20 channels in a project and half of them were normally audio. I presume that till I wouldn’t do an orchestral work with kontakt I should be fine or otherwise as you wrote bouncing or “freezing” should be my solution. I checked out tonight some threads about the Nuc 10 compare to the Nuc 8 and it seems like the 11th version is on the way just before summer so I might wait for that version if I can, will post here any news.

Thanks again!
Johnny Stecchino
Regular