You are here

CPU noise

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

CPU noise

Postby Sharpe999 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:48 pm

Hi

For a long time now I've had a problem with CPU noise/hard drive noise recording onto audio tracks in ableton and can't get rid of it. It happens when using any equipment with a separate power source through my audio device eg quadraverb or any analogue synth, FX pedals etc. I used to reduce it by reducing the CPU usage but that died probably because I was changing the usage all the time, so I'm reluctant to do that again and fry another CPU.

This is what the noise sounds like:
https://soundcloud.com/user-775060821/test

the noise is slightly minimised by running the external gear through the plug socket as the audio device and running it through an ebtech hum eliminator twice.

Had the problem with a saffire pro 24 (firewire) and focuswrite 18i20 (USB).

Don't suppose anyone has any tips at all for removing the noise?
Sharpe999

Re: CPU noise

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:25 pm

Just to be clear, do you mean removing the noise from recordings, or removing it at source?
Cheers
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby DC-Choppah » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:00 am

I had similar noise that the SOS forum solved for me. I don't know your setup or if my solution applies to your case.

I have two types of stereo audio outputs from the PC that go to an analog mixing board. One comes from the motherboard audio card. I use that for playing streaming audio from the PC. It is noisy like yours. I don't use it for recording. It is normally just shut off completely.

The other stereo audio comes from the monitor outputs of my audio interface. The main one is the main software return from the DAW (main mix in ProTools). That line also sounded noisy like yours.

I isolated that from my mixing board using a stereo transformer-based isolator and lifted the ground. That cured the noise problem and my software return and overall setup is now dead silent.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Sharpe999 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:48 pm

removing it from source is the preferred option. I've tried masking it on audio tracks and it's impossible to completely remove. I also tried a USB noise remover which did nothing.

I don't use a PC soundcard or motherboard sound. The noise is being picked up from the motherboard via the usb lead to the external audio device (firewire 18i20).

I try to run the audio via my patch bay through balanced cables and this ebtech hum eliminator (EBTECH HE-2-XLR) but if you turn the input volume up on the audio device the noise is still audible
Sharpe999