You are here

Windows 10 - idle programs/plugs affect performance generally?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Windows 10 - idle programs/plugs affect performance generally?

Postby james090 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:20 am

I am new to PC, coming from a Mac, and although have used one in the past, I am thinking of getting a Windows 10 machine for some PC only VST's, programs and freebies. I record mainly audio samples from Mac > PC, and vice versa, so a PC is always handy so I can use both platforms.

Coming to W10, I have a few programs that I can install on a fast new machine (looking at i9, 32GB, 2TB SSD laptop), with things like Waves plug ins, Acid Pro, Sound Forge, FL Studio, Ableton, Vegas etc as well as a lot of plug ins, just to have on the machine as a workhorse for different tasks.

So coming back to W10, does installing a lot of programs and VST's, affect any performance at all regardless of whether they are running or not?

I know most people now uninstall and clean down their PC's for simpler plug ins and using less, but as a general speedy workhorse machine, I just wanted to ask whether installing many programs and plug ins actually has a detrimental effect at all, OR, (as I think the case is), do these not affect the performance at all just sitting on the large HD (so plenty of room), until they are actually launched and running?

Does idle, installed but not-running programs slow down a PC today on Windows 10 with the larger SSD sizes until they are launched upon the CPU?

Hope that makes sense! Thanks!
james090
Regular

Re: Windows 10 - idle programs/plugs affect performance generally?

Postby Agharta » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:16 pm

No.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:29 pm

The exception being that some stuff installs other background processes and other software that either needs to run all the time, or by default is set to run on system startup even when it doesn't have to, which all adds up. Authorizers, updaters, "cloud" services and all kinds of background processes - if you're installing a lot of stuff that has that kind of support software, then those add things up.

But things like simple plugins only run when you load them in your host software. They might have a slightly detrimental affect in that for example audio software often scans installed plugins when it starts, and if you have a lot of plugins, this takes a bit longer, but in general, you shouldn't really worry too much and install the stuff you need to work with.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby james090 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:48 pm

desmond wrote:The exception being that some stuff installs other background processes and other software that either needs to run all the time, or by default is set to run on system startup even when it doesn't have to, which all adds up. Authorizers, updaters, "cloud" services and all kinds of background processes - if you're installing a lot of stuff that has that kind of support software, then those add things up.

But things like simple plugins only run when you load them in your host software. They might have a slightly detrimental affect in that for example audio software often scans installed plugins when it starts, and if you have a lot of plugins, this takes a bit longer, but in general, you shouldn't really worry too much and install the stuff you need to work with.

Thank you desmond, and thought as much, but heard conflicting things with regards audio and PC DAW's so just thought i'd check here ;)
james090
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:17 pm

james090 wrote:I am new to PC, coming from a Mac, and although have used one in the past, I am thinking of getting a Windows 10 machine for some PC only VST's, programs and freebies. I record mainly audio samples from Mac > PC, and vice versa, so a PC is always handy so I can use both platforms.

Coming to W10, I have a few programs that I can install on a fast new machine (looking at i9, 32GB, 2TB SSD laptop), with things like Waves plug ins, Acid Pro, Sound Forge, FL Studio, Ableton, Vegas etc as well as a lot of plug ins, just to have on the machine as a workhorse for different tasks.

So coming back to W10, does installing a lot of programs and VST's, affect any performance at all regardless of whether they are running or not?

I know most people now uninstall and clean down their PC's for simpler plug ins and using less, but as a general speedy workhorse machine, I just wanted to ask whether installing many programs and plug ins actually has a detrimental effect at all, OR, (as I think the case is), do these not affect the performance at all just sitting on the large HD (so plenty of room), until they are actually launched and running?

Does idle, installed but not-running programs slow down a PC today on Windows 10 with the larger SSD sizes until they are launched upon the CPU?

Hope that makes sense! Thanks!

How does latency affect operaton n a Mac?

I don't know whether I am going off topic, but when I was using Cubase 8.5 with Win7/64 I could happily work at 32 samples. Since I upgraded to Cubase 10 and Win10/64 the PC wheezes with anything apart from the most undemanding of projects.

I can never get an answer as to why, I thought upgrades were supposed to improve things. I have a friend with a similar specc'd Mac (i7) and it whizzes along without a care in the world
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)