You are here

PC Soundcard Capture Software, recording problems...

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

PC Soundcard Capture Software, recording problems...

Postby Elephone » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:29 pm

Hello. I've tried a couple of programs that capture the soundcard/interface output, one being AD Sound Recorder, and another more elaborate one called VB-Audio VoiceMeeter.

With AD Sound Recorder, the result is simply poor quality, loss of top end compared to playing directly the source (via Windows 10 PC Realtek HD Sound Device).

The second, VB-Audio VoiceMeeter, resulted in really bad distorted sound (Edirol FA-66 audio interface on another computer).

Are there any specific settings that are likely be causing this?

I just want to capture what I'm hearing through headphones without having to use a digital recorder externally.

Thanks
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Re: PC Soundcard Capture Software, recording problems...

Postby Elephone » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:49 pm

Never mind :thumbup:

It turns out AD Recorder is just crap, and I had VB Banana setup wrong.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:02 pm

Thanks for coming back and enlightening us Elephone - it's always good to know that a problem got solved, even if it involved user error ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ef37a » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:22 am

I would like to add my experiences?
I have a Lenovo T510 laptop and there is no way I have found to record the internal sound.
This is because there is NO input to the soundcard save the internal microphone (which I have disabled) .

My solution was a Behringer UCA 202 with the RCA I/O looped. No, it does not take off, quite the reverse in fact, it records at a rather lower level than I would have liked, around neg 30 for Radio 3 but this since this is 'internet' sound the 202 does not AFAICT makes things any worse.

Yes, I know the practice is frowned upon in some quarters but I lived through the whole OR tape and cassette debacle (who here remembers the proposed tape levy? ) I do not intend to flog off great chunks of R3! (well none actually!)

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:19 pm

IIRC that's a Realtek?

Did you try installing Realtek drivers from a different vendor? Obviously you found a workaround to the problem but I'm curious to know if a different driver would do the trick. I'm pretty sure the exact same hardware will have been used by multiple ODMs.

[edit to add] Sorry, quick check tells me it's Connexant hardware!
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular