You are here

Surface Book 2 power brick puts static into the mixer... at a loss

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Surface Book 2 power brick puts static into the mixer... at a loss

Postby braelef » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:34 pm

Hello. I have a Surface Book 2. Whenever it is plugged in, it puts a bunch of static into the mixer audio. This make playing audio from this laptop during events impossible.

Picture of my setup (forgive the messiness): https://imgur.com/a/7WeNBKY

I have tried a ground lift and a hum destroyer per some's suggestions. Another suggested I disable CPU Frequency Scaling, but I'm not sure how or if I can do that on this machine. The UEFI menu is a lot smaller than I'm used to seeing on a regular computer.

It also could just be the outlets in my house - I don't know. I've tried different outlets to no effect.

I'm at a loss here, and I'm also not sure if this is the correct forum. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.
braelef

Re: Surface Book 2 power brick puts static into the mixer... at a loss

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:19 pm

If the hum goes away when you run the laptop off the battery, then that would suggest that the hum is being caused by a ground loop between the laptop and something else.

Is the laptop being run straight into the hum eliminator?

Stopping the machine from downclocking would be something that I would try for internal clocking noise, but I wouldn't expect much joy for a ground loop if I'm right. Most laptops (the vast majority) don't allow you full access to the power management controls as disabling them raises the possibility of the laptop being run too hard and generating support calls, so if you don't find anything worthwhile in the BIOS then I'm not surprised.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Re: Surface Book 2 power brick puts static into the mixer... at a loss

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:19 pm

braelef wrote:I have a Surface Book 2. Whenever it is plugged in, it puts a bunch of static into the mixer audio.

I have a Surface 4 and have no problems, so I doubt it's a fundamental issue with the computer.

Usually, problems occurring when the mains PSU is connected are due either to a ground-loop (most commonly) or radiated noise from the PSU (very rarely)

I have tried a ground lift and a hum destroyer per some's suggestions.

That would be my suggestion... but it's important where you connect it. Can you sketch out the exact connections between your computer, mixer, and anything else you have connected -- including which connections are balanced and which are unbalanced, please? That would help a lot in understanding what is linked to what and where the hum destroyer is in the signal path.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound