You are here

Windows 10 os installation advice

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Windows 10 os installation advice

Postby Marbury » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:18 am

I have Windows 10 installed on a small 100GB ssd in my new PC . I have also purchased a 500GB ssd for my programs and apps. Is it ok to leave the os on a seperate drive or better to install on the same 500GB drive as the programs and apps ? If so, can the os be successfully cloned onto the 500GB from the 100GB ? I have Acronis true image to do this.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Re: Windows 10 os installation advice

Postby James Perrett » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:26 am

Following Pete Kaine's hint in your other thread, it would probably be best to clone the 100GB SSD to the 500GB SSD and then install your programs onto it so that OS and apps are on the same disc. Most SSD's will come with suitable cloning software.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:28 am

Yep, perfectly fine to leave it as it is.

Also yep, but depending on if you already have data on the 500GB (that you want to remain there) you might have to partition the drive. I'd leave it as is.

Those are awfully small drives given the size of the OS and many apps these days though!
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:05 am

Just saw James' reply and given the context of the other thread, yeah - go with Pete's advice.

There's nothing wrong with putting the OS on one drive and the apps on the other but eventually you'd have to deal with some app or other that doesn't like not being on %Systemroot (typically C:\ ).
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Watchmaker » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:11 am

*nevermind*
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Marbury » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:39 am

Thanks for confirming folks and Sorry, didn’t see the reply from Pete on the other thread before I posted here. I just thought it was going off on a tangent to the op and needed a fresh title. The brand new ssd is a Samsung 860 EVO 500 so no complications with previous data to contend with. Just need to find some free cloning software to do the deed.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:04 pm

Marbury wrote:Just need to find some free cloning software to do the deed.

The Samsung comes with a link to some suitable software and instructions on how to use it (that's the same SSD as I bought recently).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:23 pm

This page under data migration.

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/m ... oad/tools/

You need a Samsung drive for it to work (to stop everyone downloading it), otherwise no restrictions and pretty quick and easy.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby wireman » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:53 pm

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:Just saw James' reply and given the context of the other thread, yeah - go with Pete's advice.

There's nothing wrong with putting the OS on one drive and the apps on the other but eventually you'd have to deal with some app or other that doesn't like not being on %Systemroot (typically C:\ ).

Reminds me why I liked Unix. Multipe boot disks/partitions for different OS versions, online upgrade, apps and user home filesystems in a different place...
wireman
Regular

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:40 pm

wireman wrote:
n o i s e f l e ur wrote:Just saw James' reply and given the context of the other thread, yeah - go with Pete's advice.

Reminds me why I liked Unix. Multipe boot disks/partitions for different OS versions, online upgrade, apps and user home filesystems in a different place...

Reminds me why I like Windows. Multipe boot disks/partitions for different OS versions, online upgrade, apps and user home filesystems in a different place!

Except it's not really, because those are features common to most if not all major PC OSes.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Marbury » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:21 pm

Thanks again folks for the advice, much appreciated. Like a Muppet I thought something was wrong with the drives as they didn't show up in the system menu. Turns out I forgot to initialise and format.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby merlyn » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:50 pm

I'm not intending to start os wars. :)

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:Reminds me why I like Windows. ... apps and user home filesystems in a different place!

What @wireman was referring to is having /home on a different partition or drive. That means if the os is reinstalled all user settings remain intact.

A similar folder on Windows is C:\Users and you could put that on a different partition although as noted above creative system administration is unpredictable on Windows. This would preserve user data if the os is reinstalled, but not settings.

On Windows application settings are in a few different locations including the registry and I don't think you'd want to move that :)
merlyn
Regular

Postby Marbury » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:40 pm

But wouldn’t cloning the whole C drive if I needed to re-install windows work as I then could just copy everything over
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby merlyn » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:17 pm

Marbury wrote:But wouldn’t cloning the whole C drive if I needed to re-install windows work as I then could just copy everything over

Yes, that's also known as making a backup and is a good idea.

What i was attempting to clarify is that splitting the system across partitions isn't a feature of all modern operating systems.
merlyn
Regular