You are here

MS Office

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

MS Office

Postby ef37a » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:32 am

Nothing musical but periodically this W10 Lenovo wants to install Office.

I have Open Office on it and that seems to serve my very limited requirements. I also have Office 2007 on two other W7 machines. So, can I delete the 2G of MSO with impunity?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: MS Office

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:54 am

I don't see why not.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ef37a » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:31 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I don't see why not.

O........kay. I have horrible memories you see of 'DLLs' which if you lost one would have far reaching consequences for other programs. I AM going back to 98SE mind!

I guess it will go into the Recycle bin initially and then if nothing dire happens in a week I shall dump it entirely. I suspect it is only free for a time anyway?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Watchmaker » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:52 pm

Do you mean Office or Office 365? The latter being a cloud based offering.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:59 pm

ef37a wrote:O........kay. I have horrible memories you see of 'DLLs' which if you lost one would have far reaching consequences for other programs. I AM going back to 98SE mind!

I guess it will go into the Recycle bin initially and then if nothing dire happens in a week I shall dump it entirely. I suspect it is only free for a time anyway?

You can't uninstall into the recycle bin, so Just remove it. dll management came a long way in Windows 7, i've not seen those sorts of issues in a decade, you'll be fine on a modern operating system.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Agharta » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:01 pm

Office 365 is a subscription service but you can keep all your files locally so it's the same as if you bought it outright in that sense. The software runs locally also.
They do have cloud only offerings but they offer much reduced functionality and not sure what they are called this week!
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:48 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:
ef37a wrote:O........kay. I have horrible memories you see of 'DLLs' which if you lost one would have far reaching consequences for other programs. I AM going back to 98SE mind!

You can't uninstall into the recycle bin, so Just remove it. dll management came a long way in Windows 7, i've not seen those sorts of issues in a decade, you'll be fine on a modern operating system.

Thanks Pete. It's not 'installed' as such but just sits there as 2G on the SSD which is a rather small 160G anyway. I get asked to install it about one a week but just ignore it.
I'll have it orf the morrow.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster