You are here

Three/four-channel audio interface with XLR/phantom...?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Three/four-channel audio interface with XLR/phantom...?

Postby BJG145 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:27 am

Y'all were recently very helpful when a friend asked about recording acoustic guitar so...

They have an NI Komplete Audio One. To get going with a second mic they just ordered the Komplete Audio Two. But now they're getting more ambitious and thinking about switching that for something that could record with three mics (a stereo SDC pair plus LDC) and I'm wondering what to recommend.

I like the look of the Scarlett interface with four XLRs but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a slightly less expensive USB interface that could accommodate three mics with phantom power for a lower budget...? (Bit of a price hike from £100 for the NI to £350 or so for the Scarlett. Alternatively I could say, don't be silly, the dudes at SOS say you don't want more than two mics on an acoustic?)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Re: Three/four-channel audio interface with XLR/phantom...?

Postby blinddrew » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:59 am

Personally I think the best bang for buck on channels is the Tascam US16x08.
So I bought one. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Three/four-channel audio interface with XLR/phantom...?

Postby ef37a » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:01 am

So long as capacitor mics are being used the Behringer AIs are very good. I had a UMC 204 HD and whist the pre amp was good enough for noise on speech close to a dynamic I doubt it would be quiet enough for ribbons* say on acoustic guitar.

But THREE mics? How would such be employed pray? Might be as well to sit back and take stock? Maybe look at MS recording? Maybe! (slight heresy here) look at a modest mixer with 4 mic ins and deploy the mics through that? They can then be panned appropriately and a stereo resultant sent to the existing AI.

*I say that because I seem to remember Hugh saying he was not keen on crossed cardiods?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster