You are here

Please Help with New PC Computer Build

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Please Help with New PC Computer Build

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:39 pm

Trevor, I'm not sure there's a need to format the drive - at least insofar as fixing the problem goes. I agree it ought to be done eventually, but the OP might not be aware that this will effectively (in the case of a fast format) or actually (in the case of a full format) wipe the drive clean of all data.

Right now it looks like the issue is most likely hardware related, if those Event Viewer entries line up with the Stop_Errors (BSODs).

If removing the PCI card doesn't resolve the issue, try disconnecting / removing the old HDD from the system.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby MannyBoy » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:10 pm

Thanks guys! Yes, the recent crashes/freezes (that just happened today) correspond with the critical event notifications today. I've been writing them down, had three today in the last few hour, Ugh!

So, I just took out the Blackmagic card, and will try my VI. Also, I had migrated my VI off the old VI Seagate Barracuda disk to a new SSD (using Ultimate Plug-in Tool) so that it may speed things up. I took out the old C: Drive as well.

-Manfred
MannyBoy
Poster

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:41 pm

Okay - the first thing to note is, when troubleshooting a problem you need to just change one variable at a time and evaluate the impact. Right now, if you somehow manage to resolve the issue, you have no idea what step you took actually fixed the problem. So not exactly back at square one, but not out of the woods.

Let's say one of the steps taken fixes things. What you'll need to do then is add either the PCI card, or the HDD back into the system (but not both) and proceed as normal for a spell until you're satisfied that particular device isn't the culprit.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby MannyBoy » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:43 pm

OK, so here's what happened!

Was able to play several different VI in stand alone. Opened Cubase 10 Pro, loaded three different instruments (Kontakt, Best Service, and Heavyocity). Was able to play and record all for about 10 minutes (nice melody :) and then crash/freeze, UGH! Steinberg quick controllers all shut down. Monitors still visual; interestingly my mouse seems to be "off" (no red light under), keyboard too. Only thing that kept working was the Cubase curser looping through the recorded music (no sound). Ugh! Feels like its improving though.
Appreciate the help!

Gonna turn computer off and re-set the Fan . Other ideas?
MannyBoy
Poster

Postby MannyBoy » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:52 pm

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:Okay - the first thing to note is, when troubleshooting a problem you need to just change one variable at a time and evaluate the impact. Right now, if you somehow manage to resolve the issue, you have no idea what step you took actually fixed the problem. So not exactly back at square one, but not out of the woods.

Let's say one of the steps taken fixes things. What you'll need to do then is add either the PCI card, or the HDD back into the system (but not both) and proceed as normal for a spell until you're satisfied that particular device isn't the culprit.

Yes, thank you! Great advice!
MannyBoy
Poster

Postby MannyBoy » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:09 am

With regards to my Virtual Instruments software and DAW:

Cubase 10 Pro (have older versions back to Cubase 6)

Native Instruments
Spitfire
Heavyocity
Best Service
Omnispeare
some other stuff

On my "old" computer I had all of VI on either a HDD drive (also contained C: drive data and DAW) or a separate SSD. I transferred both disk physically to the new computer. As noted, I migrated the VI from the HDD (today) to a new SSD--and I was able to access, load and play off that new SSD (today). I removed the old HDD. I removed the Blackmagic PCI card. Still crash/freeze.

Should I remove all my VI and DAW software and redownload?

Thanks everyone, I appricate the help and I trust this will eventually be resolved. Feel like I need a PHD in tech gear, ugh :)
MannyBoy
Poster

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:17 am

Settings > System > Power & sleep > Additional Power Settings > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings

USB selective suspend; set to disabled
PCIe Link State power management; set to off

Device Manager > set all USB hubs and devices to disallow the OS to turn off to save power.

There are probably a few UEFI / BIOS settings that need adjustment, anything to do with power-management ought to be under OS control, particularly PCIe.

Aside from that, not a lot at this point except to say it appears you've made an unholy mess of installing your software and probably need to reinstall everything from the OS up. I'm still not clear on this migration process you keep mentioning. Can you detail for us what that entails?
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby MannyBoy » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:33 am

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:Settings > System > Power & sleep > Additional Power Settings > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings

USB selective suspend; set to disabled
PCIe Link State power management; set to off

Device Manager > set all USB hubs and devices to disallow the OS to turn off to save power.

There are probably a few UEFI / BIOS settings that need adjustment, anything to do with power-management ought to be under OS control, particularly PCIe.

Aside from that, not a lot at this point except to say it appears you've made an unholy mess of installing your software and probably need to reinstall everything from the OS up. I'm still not clear on this migration process you keep mentioning. Can you detail for us what that entails?

Thanks again! I've followed your suggestions about the Device Manager and power settings (some of which had already been done). I will research the issue of how I installed my software and need about starting over. Quick (newbie) question: Do I run any risk in "damaging" the computer if I uninstall my DAW, all my virtual instruments and reinstall them? Like you said (correctly), I make a mess of things, yes, and perhaps I should just start from scratch. Sounds silly, I know, but I don't want to make things worse. I have some software on hard disks , while others (most) are downloads.

I'll get back about how I "migrated" my VI. Not sure if that is even the right term.
Thank you again for all your help! You're very kind.
-Manfred
MannyBoy
Poster

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:53 am

MannyBoy wrote:
Thanks again! I've followed your suggestions about the Device Manager and power settings (some of which had already been done). I will research the issue of how I installed my software and need about starting over. Quick (newbie) question: Do I run any risk in "damaging" the computer if I uninstall my DAW, all my virtual instruments and reinstall them? Like you said (correctly), I make a mess of things, yes, and perhaps I should just start from scratch. Sounds silly, I know, but I don't want to make things worse. I have some software on hard disks , while others (most) are downloads.

I'll get back about how I "migrated" my VI. Not sure if that is even the right term.
Thank you again for all your help! You're very kind.
-Manfred

No, there's no risk of damage by uninstalling / reinstalling software - it's part and parcel of using a computer unless you have an IT department to take care of that aspect. I completely understand how easy it is to fire ahead with a project such as this, you just want things up and running ASAP and to get back to music / audio work after all.

There's one thing you can try that could help assess whether this is a hardware problem, or a software configuration problem. Download and install Reaper - then run that (without loading any of your VSTs, just use Reaper and its built-in plugins) for a while.

If you do decide to start from scratch, there are others here in the forum that can talk you through testing the hardware build using tools like Prime95, Memtest (though I don't actually suspect the RAM at this juncture) etc.

Actually, here's a question . . . does the PC crash like this only when running audio / DAW software or does it crash even in more mundane useage like browsing the web?
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:39 am

Other hardware you can disable / disconnect to troubleshoot would be;

Optical Drive: Asus 24x CD/DVD burner
Multimedia Card Reader: StarTech Multimedia Reader

Also, you didn't specify what audio interface you're using?
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby DC-Choppah » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:08 pm

You have an unstable new-build PC.

Do you have some local people who repair computers? We have folks around that run shops that fix electronics, PCs, etc.

Find one.

Take the whole thing to them. Tell them your problems. Tell them the machine has never been stable. It is a new build. Show them the errors. Bring all of the manuals for the motherboards, audio interfaces. Anything that plugs into the PC.

They will take it all apart and reassemble and get it running.

You might have a washer stuck under a screw that is shorting a pin - or some other hardware problem like that.

If you want to do yourself, then take the whole thing apart, reassemble and do a fresh install of Windows 10. Boot into the bios and set the diagnostics to check everything. THEN after it is stable turn it into a DAW.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Trevor Johnson » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:47 pm

Do you have some local people who repair computers? We have folks around that run shops that fix electronics, PCs, etc.

Find one.

I agree. You need someone to physically inspect and sort out your problem(s).

Manfred, this is a very ambitious build, (and I mean that without any any disrespect said, or, implied), from someone who doesn't know how to format a disk. How much input did the 'tech', you mentioned, have, and can you get him back again to help you sort it out?
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:58 pm

I would specifically advise against getting that "tech" involved again actually Trevor! :D
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby MannyBoy » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:17 pm

Thank you all for your continued help! Very grateful!

I have decided to take the advice of starting from scratch. I will rebuild the computer, testing all hardware along the way, and then add the DAW and each VI one at a time (I realize that this would of helped all along, but, as noted, I'm so eager to get back to music recording that I may have rushed things!).

With regards to hiring a pro computer tech...I had done that! I was charged over $800 to help with the build when I couldn't get it booted (twice returning the MB, purchasing a new CPU and not needing it, being told it could be "this" or "that, or "that/this"). I had a guy here for three hours to help with the transfer of the old computer disks/data to the new one. They were great guys, tried their best, but I suspect that they never had a build specific like mine, or perhaps didn't have the skillset needed, or perhaps it is just the nature of technology. Not blaming them, but I am frustrated. Needless to say, I don't want to dump any more money into this thing. I'll try to do things as best I can with the help of people such as yourselves (and other research/learning). My thinking is that the recommendations made by this community are spot on! Greatly appreciate it! Thank you!!!

I'll update this forum as I go along so that maybe others will gain form this experience in the future. I know from reading about other's experiences with their builds that my problems/issues are common, even expectable; perhaps these posts will be helpful. I'm certainly learning a lot :)

Cheers!
Manfred
MannyBoy
Poster

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:51 pm

MannyBoy wrote:
With regards to hiring a pro computer tech...I had done that! I was charged over $800 to help with the build when I couldn't get it booted (twice returning the MB, purchasing a new CPU and not needing it, being told it could be "this" or "that, or "that/this"). I had a guy here for three hours to help with the transfer of the old computer disks/data to the new one. They were great guys, tried their best, but I suspect that they never had a build specific like mine, or perhaps didn't have the skillset needed, or perhaps it is just the nature of technology.

They really weren't "great guys".
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

PreviousNext