You are here

'magic' dial

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

'magic' dial

Postby OneWorld » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:29 pm

I have a Yamaha MOX, and it has a large dial which controls almost any slider/dial there is on the MOC VST

But it also controls alost any other dial/slider on 3rd party VSTs/Effects and the sliders on the Cubase Mixer

I would like to try and replicate this behavious using one of my MIDI controllers. I tried using the 'learn function' but of course it will only change the value on a control on the VST I have set to 'learn'

Using the MOX Dial, all I have to do is posit the mouse pointer over a chosen dial/slider and the MOX dial moves the dial/slider

I believe there is some software that allows this using the MS Surface Dial. But I would like ot assign a the dial on one of my MIDI controllers, for example my Arturia Beatstep Pro has a large dial which would be ideal.

Does the dial on the MOX send out a special MIDI command unique to itself? Which I thought couldn't be the case as there are a fixed number (127) of MIDI commands?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: 'magic' dial

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:06 pm

I'll bet if you take a look at Device Manager you'll see it's using a HID driver for this, essentially emulating a mouse.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Re: 'magic' dial

Postby OneWorld » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:58 am

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:I'll bet if you take a look at Device Manager you'll see it's using a HID driver for this, essentially emulating a mouse.

I did and it tells me there are various USB devices but the details tab just shows a long string of random characters. I think I'll end up buying the Surface Dial and that software that makes it work with a DAW. Essentially it seems that whatever it does, it mimmicks the mouse-wheel. I can use the mouse-wheel of course but it just doesn't seem as responsive, maybe the Surface Dial won't either, I won't know till I try
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)