You are here

Upgrading sounds

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Upgrading sounds

Postby DanR » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:29 pm

Hi
I use Cubase Elements 8 and the included Sonic SE soundset. Works fine but have been looking into upgrading the VST instruments.
Obvious choice would be Halion Sonic 3 for a good all round collection of sounds/instruments.
The trial didn’t install properly though as it defaulted to my Dropbox folder which was full.
I uninstalled it and deleted the activation code to redo but can’t seem to get another one
from Steinberg.
Have sent a support ticked but no reply yet.
Just wondering if anybody’s using Halion Sonic 3 and if it’s a worthwhile upgrade from Sonic SE.
Any help appreciated.
DanR
Regular

Re: Upgrading sounds

Postby virtualaudio » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:58 pm

I've been using HaLion 6 / HaLion Sonic 3 for a while, and both have a much wider range of sounds than SE. It's not the 'end all' of VSTi's, but it covers a lot of ground; and it plays well with Cubendo.
I also have East West products, Arturia and Synthology's Ivory II; each have their strengths. It depends on what sounds you need and how much realism you want. Ivory II excels at lifelike piano (the resonance modelling is superb); East West is also strong, if a bit resource hungry (especially with RAM). Good symphonic, eastern, voice & percussion sets. Arturia still holds strong in the modelled Analog Synth department, and their new Pigments 2 is a monster.
More recently I added Kontakt and Reaktor; I'm not as fond of Kontakt (as a Sampler platform), but more soundset developers make Kontakt instruments than any other Sampler format (including some very good free ones) and it is good with computer resources, so it was a nice addition. Reaktor an excellent (if confusing) modular modelling system with unique possibilities and a very good sound.
The most disappointing Sampler I've used was IK Multimedia's Sampletank (2 & 3). Mediocre sounds and annoying quirks. Not a fan.
virtualaudio

Postby DanR » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:28 am

That’s great, thanks.
I just missed out on a half price sale on Halion 6/Sonic 3 but really wanted to trial first.
Not too fussed about sampling or extra features of H6 so I think Halion Sonic 3 would do well.
Apart from Native Instruments Komplete there seems to be very little else about in terms of workstation/rompler VSTi packages.
I have a Nord Stage 2 for authentic piano if needed although I’d need an interface with midi I/O if recording it using midi.
DanR
Regular

Postby ef37a » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:00 pm

DanR wrote:That’s great, thanks.
I just missed out on a half price sale on Halion 6/Sonic 3 but really wanted to trial first.
Not too fussed about sampling or extra features of H6 so I think Halion Sonic 3 would do well.
Apart from Native Instruments Komplete there seems to be very little else about in terms of workstation/rompler VSTi packages.
I have a Nord Stage 2 for authentic piano if needed although I’d need an interface with midi I/O if recording it using midi.

If you are thinking of a new MIDI'ed interface Dan, those MOTUs in the current mag' look awesome!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby DanR » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:58 pm

ef37a wrote:
If you are thinking of a new MIDI'ed interface Dan, those MOTUs in the current mag' look awesome!

Dave.

Thanks, yes they do look good.
Like the on/off switch. My Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 1st gen needs to be unplugged/replugged
on startup each time.
The data connection aswell as power has to be disconnected for Windows to recognize it again but not sure if the MOTU switch disconnects both.
Would be a bit annoying if I got one and still had to unplug it.
DanR
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:16 pm

The only thing they're missing (from my perspective) would be a digital in/out. But if that's not a requirement they look like very nice options for the price.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ef37a » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:29 pm

blinddrew wrote:The only thing they're missing (from my perspective) would be a digital in/out. But if that's not a requirement they look like very nice options for the price.

Almost my first thought as well Drew but then they do give you an awful lot anyway.

I would love to see a bigger model at some point, still two mics but more line ins and outs and ADAT configurable to S/PDIF? MIDI still of course! (and maybe an eye on MIDI 2.0?)

Re the 'pluggerating' problem? I had this yonks ago with a Behringer BCA2000 but my KA6 is as a rock with any PC I use. If I had to guess I would say there was a problem with the PC? Not that I am nearly clever enough to say what!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby DanR » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:45 pm

ef37a wrote:
Re the 'pluggerating' problem? I had this yonks ago with a Behringer BCA2000 but my KA6 is as a rock with any PC I use. If I had to guess I would say there was a problem with the PC? Not that I am nearly clever enough to say what!

Dave.

Good to know about the KA6 :thumbup:. I have another post on the power thing with the 2i2. A BIOS update may fix it but in no hurry to do that.
Have bought a very short (5”) USB extension cable to save wear on the USB sockets.
DanR
Regular

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:53 am

A lot of boards supply power to the USB's these days when the system is off in order to charge devices. Board dependent It's not always every port, have you checked them all?

Check your manual too, sometimes they have the ability to disable the feature in BIOS.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby DanR » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:52 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:A lot of boards supply power to the USB's these days when the system is off in order to charge devices.

Would that be after shutdown? Didn’t think that any PC would charge from the USB ports
after system shutdown.
My 2i2 starts up fine if I put the laptop into sleep mode and wake it.
After shutdown it has to be disconnected/reconnected.

Just back on topic, I’m patiently waiting for a reply from Steinberg. Gutted I just missed out on the Halion offer. If I had managed to install the trial ok then I would have very likely
made a purchase.
DanR
Regular

Postby Agharta » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:06 pm

Ports that provide power when the system is off sometimes have a different colour.
Otherwise check the manual.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby mick.n » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:28 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:A lot of boards supply power to the USB's these days when the system is off in order to charge devices. Board dependent It's not always every port, have you checked them all?

Check your manual too, sometimes they have the ability to disable the feature in BIOS.

My BIOS has the option to turn off/on power to USB's for device charging purposes.
mick.n
Frequent Poster

Postby DanR » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:06 pm

ef37a wrote:

Dave.

Just read the SOS review. Looks great all round.
Would be nice if the USB-C socket was recessed so that the plug is
held in place. It looks a little vulnerable as it is.
Also no DC power supply option hence was also looking at the Roland Rubix 22
which has everything.
Tempted anyway by the M2.
DanR
Regular

Postby ef37a » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:38 pm

DanR wrote:
ef37a wrote:

Dave.

Just read the SOS review. Looks great all round.
Would be nice if the USB-C socket was recessed so that the plug is
held in place. It looks a little vulnerable as it is.
Also no DC power supply option hence was also looking at the Roland Rubix 22
which has everything.
Tempted anyway by the M2.

Yes, the lack of a power input, especially for the bigger one caused me pause but you can get 'power injecting' USB cables so phone operation should be possible.
Mind you, USB 3.0 gives you 4.5W to play with and so even with S/PDIF the M4 would not pull all the bus power possible. My KA6 takes just under the full 500mA from USB 2.0.

And...Oooo! Go for the biggy!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby DanR » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:11 pm

ef37a wrote:Mind you, USB 3.0 gives you 4.5W to play with

I thought they were USB 2.0 but with the C connection, like the Focusrite Scarlett 3rd gen.
DanR
Regular

Next