You are here

Cubase MediaBay problem

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Cubase MediaBay problem

Postby DanR » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:46 pm

Hi
I’m trialing Steinberg Halion Sonic 3 on Windows 10 which is supposed to have over 3000 sounds but MediaBay in Cubase Elements 10.5 shows only 1054.
I’ve scanned all folders and have tried moving the soundset to another location but same result.
MediaBay isn’t showing any content in the folder even though it’s present in Windows File Explorer.
The Steinberg forums are of little help so thought I’d try here.
Any Cubase/Halion users?
Thanks
DanR
Regular

Re: Cubase MediaBay problem

Postby OneWorld » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:38 pm

DanR wrote:Hi
I’m trialing Steinberg Halion Sonic 3 on Windows 10 which is supposed to have over 3000 sounds but MediaBay in Cubase Elements 10.5 shows only 1054.
I’ve scanned all folders and have tried moving the soundset to another location but same result.
MediaBay isn’t showing any content in the folder even though it’s present in Windows File Explorer.
The Steinberg forums are of little help so thought I’d try here.
Any Cubase/Halion users?
Thanks

Have you do a search on the file extender, is it .vstsound to see how many files are returned. That said I do find the whole media library thing in Cubase a complete mess. If for exampleI load an instrument (I use both Halion SOnic and Halion 6) sometimes the media bay opens and sometimes the Halion file browser opens and in either case a completely different set of instruments are displayed.

I did manage to move all files to a known location and wasn't helped much by that media manager software whicjh showed I had loads of duplicates and so I tried to delete duplicates, but it deleted the lot!

Luckily a re-download of the Halion 6 library (30gig+ !) put things right

I suppose there has to be a browser built into Halion/Halion S for when they are used as a standalone and the Media Bay is not accessible
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby DanR » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:25 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I got a reply back from the Steinberg forum and they wondered if I might have the layer filter on.
I had and when I turned this off, the total of presets went up to 3912 :thumbup:
It’s a tiny button in the middle of the HS3 browser.

Regarding files, strangely they have a .vstpreset extension in Halion but are called vstsounds in Windows file explorer.
DanR
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:24 am

DanR wrote:Thanks for the reply.
I got a reply back from the Steinberg forum and they wondered if I might have the layer filter on.
I had and when I turned this off, the total of presets went up to 3912 :thumbup:
It’s a tiny button in the middle of the HS3 browser.

Regarding files, strangely they have a .vstpreset extension in Halion but are called vstsounds in Windows file explorer.

Yes, I forgot about that button, which essentially seems a refresh button and it seems even if you close Halion the filter stays stuck on, until that button is pressed
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)