You are here

Reaper 'save live output to disc'

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Reaper 'save live output to disc'

Postby FrankF » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:30 pm

Isn't it great? And so quick and simple: open Aud, hit record, and oh, my lord! (I theng yew).
It would be nice to know if Reaper can do it, but I bet it would require more clickeroonies, so Audacity gets my vote for this task.

Blimey, no Wibbly Wobbly Web where your son is? If the www went down in my village there'd be gilets jaunes on the village green in no time at all...
FrankF
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:13 pm

Thanks for the hint Frank - I've now found out how to do this in Reaper.

First open the Audio Device Settings Dialog.

- Choose WASAPI as your audio system

- Set mode to Shared Loopback (CAUTION)

- If you want to monitor via Reaper set the output device to the output device connected to your speakers/headphones. However, you may be safer with Reaper's monitoring off and just listening to the output from the other program.

Click OK and you are now ready to record.

The only problem will occur if you want to record the output of the other program AND something via your audio interface - I can't see how to do that at the moment without an old fashioned analogue loopback.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ef37a » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:50 pm

FrankF wrote:Isn't it great? And so quick and simple: open Aud, hit record, and oh, my lord! (I theng yew).
It would be nice to know if Reaper can do it, but I bet it would require more clickeroonies, so Audacity gets my vote for this task.

Blimey, no Wibbly Wobbly Web where your son is? If the www went down in my village there'd be gilets jaunes on the village green in no time at all...

No, no! Not the whole town, Le Havre, he does not have a line in his flat and used a smart phone. That got stolen about a month ago. Not that bad until Covid struck as he could go to an internet cafe.

I had thought about posting him a cheap SIM free Android jobby but even air mail is taking bloody ages to get through and then there is the hassle when they ask if the parcel has a battery in it.

We, wife and I are wondering how much it would cost per month to get him email in his flat. Mind you he seems happy enough? Says he is writing a fugue!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby FrankF » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:12 pm

Dave,
if his French is not up to it, Orange have an anglophone helpline:
https://en.selectra.info/broadband-phon ... ge/contact

If he wants internet, i.e. a livebox and a contract, he just has to say that he needs it for his job (especially under current circumstances), and they will probably sort him out within the week. I imagine those bored engineers would jump at the chance to get out and actually do something useful. They could also thumb their noses at all those officious "checkpoint charlie" gendarmes while they're at it...
FrankF
Regular

Postby FrankF » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:14 pm

Thanks for that, James: I'll have a look at it tomorrow.
FrankF
Regular

Postby ef37a » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:35 am

FrankF wrote:Dave,
if his French is not up to it, Orange have an anglophone helpline:
https://en.selectra.info/broadband-phon ... ge/contact

If he wants internet, i.e. a livebox and a contract, he just has to say that he needs it for his job (especially under current circumstances), and they will probably sort him out within the week. I imagine those bored engineers would jump at the chance to get out and actually do something useful. They could also thumb their noses at all those officious "checkpoint charlie" gendarmes while they're at it...

Thanks Frank. I think his French must be very good, he has never suggested that he has a problem and at 48 he has probably spent half his adult life in France. In fact! When we talk he often has trouble recalling common ENGLISH words!

I shall text him and suggest he sorts something out. He has a chat to me and his mum about twice a week and that costs dad a lot anyway!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Previous