You are here

Windows 10 Hp i7 PC how to set for Audio Recording

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Windows 10 Hp i7 PC how to set for Audio Recording

Postby uniquetouch » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:56 pm

I bought my HP i7 Windows 10 PC + the Behringer UMC-202 Interface and Rockville 8inch Monitor Speakers plus 10in. SUB! But... How do i set up a PC running Windows 10 for Audio Recording??? I am using Magix's Sony Acid Pro 9 as my DAW & FL 20.6. Seems odd but I feel my PC needs to be boosted up . And should I turn off my McAfee Virus software when recording???
I keep hearing I have to set up my PC properly for Audio Recording...but... No one gives a clear slate of how to do it!?? Can you guys assist me please. I dont wanna be a New-b forever... Can someone teach me so I can conquer PC recording!
Sincerely - Uniquetouch
uniquetouch

Re: Windows 10 Hp i7 PC how to set for Audio Recording

Postby CS70 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:24 pm

With windows 10 there's not really much to do.

- Disable power management (Set Power Mgt to High performance, go into the details and set everything to "never turn off" and 100% power).
- Disable power management on all devices you can (go in Device Manager, start with the USB hubs, right click and chose Properties, then go to the "Power Management" tab and untick the "allow the computer to turn off the device to save power" - repeat for any device which has a "power management" tab).
- Check if your cores are ever parked - they shouldn't, it can be done manually but a simple utility to do so is ParkControl (free download on the web)

When you record, in order to achieve the smallest latency if you need, put windows in airplane mode, remove any taskbar applications, and basically have the DAW as only application going on.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby James Perrett » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:27 pm

uniquetouch wrote:And should I turn off my McAfee Virus software when recording???

I'd suggest uninstalling it completely and using the Windows Defender software that is built into Windows 10 instead. Windows Defender is really unobtrusive and I've never felt the need to disable it while recording.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby uniquetouch » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:24 am

Cs70 - thank you so much for your support and detailed suggestions as to how to set my PC laptop for Audio Recording! I will follow your guide to the letter Sir! You replied on Easter Sunday wow... Thanks a-mil Sir! Awesome!!.
From - uniquetouch
uniquetouch

Postby CS70 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:19 am

No worries, I was recording a part on the DAW (inspiration doesn't care of holidays :)) and SOS forum is always a welcome break.

Keep in mind James' suggestion as well - any unnecessary process should be stopped - to avoid a sudden CPU spike that may compromise your recording.. I haven't used McAfee for years but my last experience wasn't that good so definitely I'll second James and encourage you to swap to Defender.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby ef37a » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:26 am

I have a Lenovo T510 laptop with W10 pro. I do not use it for audio work but have set it up to handle a couple of my interfaces and have installed Samplitude Pro x 2 Silver and Audacity on it for convenience.

Never been a problem but as suggested, I have removed all anti-V software except Mocrosoft SE which is all I have used for years on several W7 machines along with an about once a month sweep with the free version of Malwarebytes.

I have also disabled One Drive (in Task Mang, Startup) because it is a bit invasive and I have no need of it. For similar reasons I removed Drop Box from a W7 laptop because it has its fingers in all your pies! I can still download DB files if I need to.

Rock on. Stay safe.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster