You are here

ASIO Drivers and Screen Sharing Software (ZOOM, Teams, VNC)

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

ASIO Drivers and Screen Sharing Software (ZOOM, Teams, VNC)

Postby MCP_Music » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:03 pm

Hi,

I use Ableton with ASIO drivers on my laptop. I would like to share this screen, including audio from Ableton, to another PC in the house.

I can use ZOOM to share my laptop screen and the other PC in the house picks up the audio from that fine if it's coming from Windows directly, say from Youtube playing in Google Chrome. But if I play audio from Ableton Live using ASIO drivers, screen sharing software like ZOOM won't pickup that audio and send it to the other PC in the house.

So I have 3 questions:

1. Do ASIO drivers bypass Windows completely?
2. Is it possible to set this up?
3. Has anyone had experience with screen share software and ASIO drivers?

Thanks in advance.
MCP_Music
Regular

Re: ASIO Drivers and Screen Sharing Software (ZOOM, Teams, VNC)

Postby CS70 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:19 pm

1. Yes that’s the whole point of ASIO
2. Not sure, but for pure playback you may be better if with setting your DAW to use Wasapi. ASIO isn’t that important in that context
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby MCP_Music » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:00 pm

CS70 wrote:1. Yes that’s the whole point of ASIO
2. Not sure, but for pure playback you may be better if with setting your DAW to use Wasapi. ASIO isn’t that important in that context

Awesome, thanks.

Looks like Ableton doesn't support Wasapi but Reaper does.

Do Wasapi drivers have low enough latency to use a NI Maschine for instance?
MCP_Music
Regular

Postby CS70 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:23 pm

In exclusive mode, Wasapi will.. but you will likely have the same problem as with ASIO, because exclusive mode is.. exclusive.

No harm in trying in non-exclusive mode. Not sure if that’s changed but it used to add some little latency by itself but worth a try.

If you want low latency you need to have enough CPU and throughput grunt to sustain a small buffer size. For regular PCs that usually means ensuring that the cpu is not doing much else than processing the buffer, but if you have a performant computer it may be worth a try.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby MCP_Music » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:25 am

CS70 wrote:In exclusive mode, Wasapi will.. but you will likely have the same problem as with ASIO, because exclusive mode is.. exclusive.

No harm in trying in non-exclusive mode. Not sure if that’s changed but it used to add some little latency by itself but worth a try.

Wanted to say thanks, your answers helped me find a solution finally.

You're correct, can't use Wasapi exclusive. But Wasapi shared is actually good enough (just.. but good enough). And Reaper supports Wasapi so I've switched to that DAW for what I am doing.

The other option I was thinking was to buy a Mac as I've heard that the standard audio drivers have low enough latency and match ASIO in that respect. Still considering tbh...

However, it's all working well on my PC now and I couldn't be happier. Took me a long time to figure it out and couldn't have done it without your input. Trust me I tried!!

Thanks!
MCP_Music
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:06 pm

MCP_Music wrote:You're correct, can't use Wasapi exclusive. But Wasapi shared is actually good enough (just.. but good enough)

I've soent some time exploring the audible differences between Wasapi exclusive and Wasapi shared and would totally agtree with your conclusion.

Where I CAN use exclusive mode I can hear an improvement in clarity due to its bit-accurate stream, but where I've had to resort to shared mode it's still provides acceptable audio quality for most purposes.

The big problem with using exclusive mode within one audio application is if you attempt to run any other audio application at the same time, since these just get 'stuck'.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby CS70 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:01 pm

MCP_Music wrote:
CS70 wrote:In exclusive mode, Wasapi will.. but you will likely have the same problem as with ASIO, because exclusive mode is.. exclusive.

Wanted to say thanks, your answers helped me find a solution finally.

You're correct, can't use Wasapi exclusive. But Wasapi shared is actually good enough (just.. but good enough). And Reaper supports Wasapi so I've switched to that DAW for what I am doing.

The other option I was thinking was to buy a Mac as I've heard that the standard audio drivers have low enough latency and match ASIO in that respect. Still considering tbh...

Happy about it, you're welcome.

Well, another option can be to run the DAW with ASIO in another pc with an HDMI out and use a capture card into the pc running OBS (or the streaming software) to receive that HDMI stream. Basically two independent PC, but one passing audio/video to the other.
HDMI being a digital format well capable to send uncompressed audio at up to 192KHz/24 bit (or whereabouts) you will have excellent quality into your streaming pc..

..to be of course totally ruined by the streaming software :D

In any case, cheaper than a mac I guess.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby JazzMuse » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:10 am

I have a nice way of doing this for Zoom, using a Focusrite 18i20 1st gen USB interface.
This maybe considered an advanced way of doing things, so be careful with your equipment, as you will be hooking up an output to an input. Use headphones, and keep your main speakers off to prevent feedback!!

This setup is for Zoom piano lessons. With low latency ASIO drivers(6~9ms roundtrip).

In Ableton I have Kontakt running a piano instrument, and have a microphone running into input 3 on the focusrite. I send this mix to the Main output.
I use a plugin that is included with Ableton that converts the main output to mono. And I also have a send that routes the mix to a set of in-ear monitors.
I send the main out of Ableton to the Focusrite's channel 5 output. (I am already using 1-4 outs for monitors).

Using a TRS cable I connect output 5 to INPUT 1 on the front of the Focusrite. Make sure this input is not being sent to your speakers...Adjust the gain for input 1 so it does not clip.

You're now ready to setup Zoom.

In Zoom's audio settings select the Focusrite as the microphone input. Then Zoom will automatically use input one and two from the Focusrite.
Disable 'automatically adjust volume'

I think I covered everything, I did this all from memory, as I am not on the computer with the above setup.
JazzMuse

Postby JazzMuse » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:16 pm

JazzMuse wrote:
In Ableton I have Kontakt running a piano instrument, and have a microphone running into input 3 on the Focusrite. I send this mix to the Main output.
I use a plugin that is included with Ableton that converts the main output to mono. And I also have a send that routes the mix to a set of in-ear monitors.
I send the main out of Ableton to the Focusrite's channel 5 output. (I am already using 1-4 outs for monitors).

I need to clarify my own post, In Ableton I have the virtual instrument channel (Kontakt), and a audio channel (microphone from input 3 on the Focusrite). I send these to the Main Output of Ableton, not the Focusrite.
The plugin converts any channel to mono, in this case its the main out. Just find it in Ableton and drag and drop it onto the main output.

Ok, hope that clears it all up...This is my first post, and I need to get better at clear directions, I know!
JazzMuse

Postby Bobtaylormusic » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:44 pm

I am having the same issue with zoom. I teach piano lessons and simply want to have my good audio "komplete" plugins, mic, etc.. coming through ableton and into zoom. On Pc there is no option in ableton to have zoom as the audio output speaker. I have the same setup as JazzMuse Seems like it should be easy, but no has been able to help so far....

I would gladly hire someone to help me set it up... :)
Thanks,
Bob
Bobtaylormusic

Postby JazzMuse » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:06 pm

Bobtaylormusic wrote: On Pc there is no option in ableton to have zoom as the audio output speaker.
Bob

Hey there,

I have Ableton main output going to output 5 of my Focusrite (I use outputs 1-4 for monitors).

Then TRS cable from output 5 to input one on the Focusrite.

Then setup Zoom options to use the Focusrite as the input/mic source. Zoom uses the first two inputs as it's mic in.

Please re-read my first post to see more details.

Feel free to ask for clarification....
JazzMuse

Postby FMajor7add9 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:19 pm

There are a few software options for this. I've had Win 7 setups running with Jackrouter and
Synchronous Audio Router (http://sar.audio/manual.html), both with ASIO4all as 'umbrella' driver.

VB-Audio VoiceMeeter Banana can do the same (https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm) and has a nice mixer. If your audio card is exposed for kernel streams it can be low latency mixed with any other audio stream. If it's ASIO only it can be bridged into one of the 2 virtual soundcards with ASIO4all, they are also visible for ASIO aware apps as well as any WDM only app.

I'm using it to send some tracks from a 64 bit DAW out to a 32 bit DAW, master outs from both are then joined in the VoiceMeeter mixer before hitting hardware outputs. It seems to be quite a kitchen sink for whatever combo you need.

https://github.com/dechamps/FlexASIO is a new discovery, haven't tried it.
Same for ASIO Link Pro
FMajor7add9
New here