You are here

Pro Tools CPU spikes for no reason

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Pro Tools CPU spikes for no reason

Postby fictionman » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:26 pm

Hi everyone,

I know this is a very-known issue but I'd wanted to take stock of the solutions you all have found to resolve this f***ing problem.

I saw there was a script in another Gearslutz thread which helped some guys but it's no longer available.

My config (Desktop computer that I've built myself) :

CPU : Inter Core i7-4790K 4GHz
RAM : 32 GB
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX950
Motherboard : MSI Z97
Audio Interface : Tascam US-20x20

I followed everything Avid recommends for Pro Tools users on Windows 10 including to disable Hyperthreading, Turbo Boost and C-state transition in BIOS.

My install is new, clean and all my devices are up-to-date.

There is no reason why PT CPU spikes like this.
Even if there is only one track with no plugin on it, when I launch playback, the CPU error message appears. Inexplicable.

I have tried all buffer size values with no luck.

My PC works great and is really fast, I don't understand.

If there is some tips here, please tell!

Thanks a lot and have a great day.
fictionman
Poster

Re: Pro Tools CPU spikes for no reason

Postby fictionman » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:28 pm

I want to clarify a few things :

- I work on Pro Tools 12.5.0
- When I check the system usage window in Pro Tools, there's some 100% spikes several times per minute even if I don't hit play and don't do anything!

And when I compare this to the performance monitor in Windows' Task Manager, I don't see any spike at all.

Here is a video of what is happening, so weird...

https://youtu.be/GZObUAn5Dvs

This is really weird, I don't get it.

Any help?

Thanx
fictionman
Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:28 am

First guess is that I suspect it's a driver or device stalling the CPU somewhere, you need to check to see if we spot those spikes occurring in the system.

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Tha's a monitoring tool for seeing what the CPU's doing.

https://www.resplendence.com/download/LatencyMon.exe

So grab the tool itself from that link. Run it and hit the start icon, then leave it running and the machine untouched for the next 10 mins.

If it passes grab a screenshot of the main tab sling it in dropbox/wetranfer/meganz or whatever service you prefer and let us see it.

If it fails, take that screenshot and then grab a second screenshot of the driver's tab, sorted via "highest execution". Lastly, click the drop-down menu, select export to clipboard, paste into a text pad and save that file too and make all three files available to us to check.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby CS70 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:12 am

Helped a friend with a similar issue once and it was the graphics card - the GPU was throttling. In the end we figured out the thermal paste was no good and the gpu was overheating, which caused an effect in the system which made Pro Tools glitch.

I remember it well because of the amount of head scratching :)

Not saying it’s your problem but there’s things in every system that Avis’s configuration help can’t know about.

I assume your buffer is not too small and all power management is disabled on all devices?
Have not tried the Tascam drivers so can’t say much about their quality alas.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Dicko » Tue May 12, 2020 5:57 pm

I use the i5 graphics myself as using a graphics card uses more resources.
Take the NVIDIA GeForce GTX950 out of the machine and see what happens when you use the onboard graphics.
Dicko
Regular

Postby The Korff » Tue May 12, 2020 6:16 pm

Another vote for checking the GPU here... Before going to the trouble of removing it completely though, try:

1. Updating the Nvidia drivers
2. Rolling back to some old version that's known for stability and compatibility (they only ever *need* to be updated by people who use the GPU power, gamers etc, and a quick google for 'most stable NVIDIA drivers' would be worth a punt)
3. Disable the HDMI audio device (also part of the GPU). It might be that Windows checks in on it every now and then, and that's what's causing the CPU spikes.

After that I'd start thinking about getting the Philips head screwdriver out...

Good luck!
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed May 13, 2020 10:18 am

The Korff wrote:3. Disable the HDMI audio device (also part of the GPU). It might be that Windows checks in on it every now and then, and that's what's causing the CPU spikes.

Not discounting your experience (it wouldn't be the first time with HDMI audio) but I don't tend to see issues with that these days, at the same time if you don't need it, don't install it.

100% don't install Geforce Experience when it offers it. That will cause headaches if anything is going to do so.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Wed May 13, 2020 10:27 am

Pete Kaine wrote:100% don't install Geforce Experience when it offers it. That will cause headaches if anything is going to do so.

+1

Installed by mistake a few days ago and suddenly fun things started to happen.. nothing critical, but Nvidia thinking the DAW is a game is a bit funny.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu May 14, 2020 9:09 am

CS70 wrote:
Pete Kaine wrote:nothing critical, but Nvidia thinking the DAW is a game is a bit funny.

Well, their ad slogan is "the way it's meant to be played" :D
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)