You are here

Suddenly lost right channel when playing back from DAW (computer audio is fine)

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Suddenly lost right channel when playing back from DAW (computer audio is fine)

Postby Lophophora » Fri May 01, 2020 7:05 pm

Hi,

I have a very annoying issue: I was working in my DAW, Reaper, and suddenly I lost the signal on my right monitor. The issue only occurs inside Reaper: when I play audio from Windows (Youtube, Spotify or whatever) it works fine on both channels.

I can’t remember for sure what I was doing when the problem first appeared, but I think it occurred after Reaper crashed. Reaper crashed when I tried to load a project that was in 48 kHz when the default setting on my AI is 96 kHz. Although it was the first time I loaded the project from a 96 kHz configuration, it might just be a coincidence that Reaper crashed at this moment since I loaded this project numerous times before. I also loaded it after restarting the computer and it loaded fine.

Anyway, I checked the main output routing from the master bus, everything looks fine. I checked the routing in my AI software, it looks fine as well. My AI is a Focusrite Clarett 8Pre USB.

The meters in Reaper look ok: both channels move, so it would seem to indicate that Reaper is sending a normal stereo signal to my interface. But my interface meters show a dead right channel, I only have a signal on the left channel. Same reading in the software (Focusrite Control 3.5) nothing on the right channel. The interface is probably OK though, since when I played audio from Windows both channels work fine…

I am clueless. Any help appreciated!
Lophophora
Poster

Re: Suddenly lost right channel when playing back from DAW (computer audio is fine)

Postby Lophophora » Fri May 01, 2020 7:20 pm

Ok, found the solution. For some very weird reason, the "audio device settings" in my DAW have been changed without any action from me. Both the first and last outputs had been set to "Output 1". I switched that back to the correct setting and everything is back to normal.
Lophophora
Poster

Re: Suddenly lost right channel when playing back from DAW (computer audio is fine)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri May 01, 2020 7:30 pm

Lophophora wrote:Ok, found the solution. For some very weird reason, the "audio device settings" in my DAW have been changed without any action from me. Both the first and last outputs had been set to "Output 1". I switched that back to the correct setting and everything is back to normal.

You must have done it by mistake, possibly through some weird keypress or something else but it doesn't change on it's own. Glad you sorted it out and thanks for the update, as it might help future readers :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby resistorman » Fri May 01, 2020 7:43 pm

I’ve had it happen to me, Eddy. After a crash!
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri May 01, 2020 8:00 pm

resistorman wrote:I’ve had it happen to me, Eddy. After a crash!

Wouldn't expect it to change in normal circumstances but fair enough. Maybe some kind of 'emergency' default in an error condition!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works

Postby resistorman » Fri May 01, 2020 9:04 pm

Maybe the drivers are reloaded and it acts like a fresh install.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri May 01, 2020 9:31 pm

I think it can happen if it thinks it's losing the AI connection. I've had it swap from ASIO to Wasapi after an interface was accidentally disconnected. :oops:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Sat May 02, 2020 12:30 am

I've had a similar thing happen when changing sample rate - but this is down to some of the interfaces that I use reducing their channel count at high sample rates.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ef37a » Sat May 02, 2020 11:20 am

With all grovelling respect to you Eddy it is possible for things to just change for no apparent reason* I think?

Many moons ago son was building songs with Cubase Ess6, MIDI and live guitar. For some reason we could never fathom, about twice a month the MIDI sounds would be gone (I think it always happened at start up).

Bringing up the XP Windows Sounds menu showed the Synth fader at zero, neither of us would ever do that, the fader is only accessed through several layers, not something you can 'knock'.
A search revealed that the effect was known but no explanation was ever offered.

*Of course there will BE a reason but whether it could ever be found is another question.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sat May 02, 2020 6:42 pm

blinddrew wrote:I think it can happen if it thinks it's losing the AI connection. I've had it swap from ASIO to Wasapi after an interface was accidentally disconnected. :oops:

That's the one I'd go with - if you launch a DAW with an external USB/Firewire audio interface that's not powered up, Reaper can try to resolve things with a bit of lateral thinking ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun May 03, 2020 12:59 am

ef37a wrote:With all grovelling respect to you Eddy it is possible for things to just change for no apparent reason* I think?

Many moons ago son was building songs with Cubase Ess6, MIDI and live guitar. For some reason we could never fathom, about twice a month the MIDI sounds would be gone (I think it always happened at start up).

Bringing up the XP Windows Sounds menu showed the Synth fader at zero, neither of us would ever do that, the fader is only accessed through several layers, not something you can 'knock'.
A search revealed that the effect was known but no explanation was ever offered.

*Of course there will BE a reason but whether it could ever be found is another question.

Dave.

No worries Dave, my original reply was a bit hasty and not well thought through. It's clear things can happen to change the output settings without deliberate action on the part of the user and I'm happy to be corrected on that. I learned something too :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works