You are here

Don't want to wreck SOS!

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Don't want to wreck SOS!

Postby ef37a » Sun May 03, 2020 2:48 pm

In 'another place' a guy posted a couple of sound clips, .wavs, with a link from WeTransfer.

I questioned how he did that since AFAIK you need end to end email addresses and I send chunks of data to son that way. He told me he transfers the data back to his own email address and then pastes in the link.

This works of course but are there any downsides to either myself or the forum?
Don't want to try it without asking.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: Don't want to wreck SOS!

Postby James Perrett » Sun May 03, 2020 2:59 pm

The main disadvantage that I can think of is that the links expire after a week.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ef37a » Sun May 03, 2020 3:08 pm

James Perrett wrote:The main disadvantage that I can think of is that the links expire after a week.
Well yes there is that but then nothing I would provide would be worth keeping even that long! Plus, I don't see it matters if the idea is a download?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun May 03, 2020 3:54 pm

Some people use the SOS forums as a learning resource so it is helpful to keep the files so that others who come along later can hear what we're talking about. Search engines also don't like sites with broken links and downgrade them. There are all kinds of free sites where you can post your files without having them deleted - Soundcloud, Dropbox, Onedrive and Google Drive are just a few that I can think of.
James Perrett

Postby ef37a » Sun May 03, 2020 6:25 pm

James Perrett wrote:Some people use the SOS forums as a learning resource so it is helpful to keep the files so that others who come along later can hear what we're talking about. Search engines also don't like sites with broken links and downgrade them. There are all kinds of free sites where you can post your files without having them deleted - Soundcloud, Dropbox, Onedrive and Google Drive are just a few that I can think of.

Points taken James, I shall refrain. I did have Dropbox for a while but did not like its constant CPU and memory grab and its general infiltration?
I find I can still download stuff from DB. Oh! And I soon ditched Onedrive! Will investigate Google Drive.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon May 04, 2020 9:20 am

ef37a wrote:I did have Dropbox for a while but did not like its constant CPU and memory grab and its general infiltration?

Don't install the app on your system, just use the web client login via your browser instead.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby James Perrett » Mon May 04, 2020 2:08 pm

ef37a wrote:Will investigate Google Drive.

I use the app on my PC for convenience (and it is better for those with a slow connection) and I find it takes a few resources at startup and shutdown but is otherwise unobtrusive. However, now that I have a more speedy connection, the web page would work fine so there's no need to install the app.
James Perrett

Postby ef37a » Mon May 04, 2020 4:31 pm

James Perrett wrote:
ef37a wrote:Will investigate Google Drive.

I use the app on my PC for convenience (and it is better for those with a slow connection) and I find it takes a few resources at startup and shutdown but is otherwise unobtrusive. However, now that I have a more speedy connection, the web page would work fine so there's no need to install the app.

Just because I am a numbers freak James, what do you call "speedy" please?

I have a very consistent 25M down and 9.5up.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon May 04, 2020 4:36 pm

ef37a wrote:Just because I am a numbers freak James, what do you call "speedy" please?

I have a very consistent 25M down and 9.5up.

The slow link was just under 1Mb/s up and it would take 5-6 hours to upload a CD master. With the web interface, if the upload was interrupted (which happened fairly often), it would need to start again whereas with the app it would resume where it left off. You'll be fine with the web interface with your connection Dave - especially as I assume you won't be needing to upload many 700MB files.
James Perrett

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon May 04, 2020 5:42 pm

I use Google Drive quite a bit Dave... absolutely fine with no problems.

I particularly use it for audio clips/full recordings where the hosting website won't accept the audio files 'cos they're too large...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Thu May 07, 2020 1:23 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:I use Google Drive quite a bit Dave... absolutely fine with no problems.

I particularly use it for audio clips/full recordings where the hosting website won't accept the audio files 'cos they're too large...

Just install Google Drive...I think Mike! What I seem to have to have is "Sync & Backup"?

Not what I want to do, I just want to host files so I can post things on forums. GD seems little different from One Drive or Drop box in that they crawl all over the machine and slurp stuff up? I want ME to decide what is slurped!

And! Daughter suggested some minutes ago that I try Google Hangouts? Eeeeeventually got it setup and then was told I need "credit" ! Got enough goings out for phones and broadband as it is.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Thu May 07, 2020 2:35 pm

ef37a wrote:Just install Google Drive...I think Mike! What I seem to have to have is "Sync & Backup"?

Not what I want to do, I just want to host files so I can post things on forums. GD seems little different from One Drive or Drop box in that they crawl all over the machine and slurp stuff up? I want ME to decide what is slurped!

You should have an area in your Documents folder called Google Drive. Anything placed in there will be uploaded to the servers automatically. Yes, it asks you if you want to index other places but just say no. Alternatively, as I said above, uninstall the software and just use the web site.
James Perrett

Postby cyrano.mac » Wed May 13, 2020 9:49 pm

Use mega.nz...
50 GB storage for free. You decide when to delete files. End-to-end encryption in the browser...
Nothing to install. No spying.
cyrano.mac
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed May 13, 2020 10:16 pm

cyrano.mac wrote:Use mega.nz...
50 GB storage for free. You decide when to delete files. End-to-end encryption in the browser...
Nothing to install. No spying.

I wouldn't.

The word 'FREE' on their website, (which is in capitals using a big bold black font) comes with a caveat in very very small and very light text tucked a ways down under the image below it.

The caveat says: "Subject to your participation in our achievements program."

Details of that 'achievements program' seem hard to find so I created an account on there, using a sandboxed disposable virtual environment with a disposable email address just out of curiosity.

First thing I see is that the "Free 50Gb" is not 50Gb, it's 15Gb:

You have to 'earn' the other 35Gb through 'achievements' and those 'achievements' look like this:

I particularly like the 'Account Registration Bonus' meaning you do get your 50Gb for 30 days only, after which you're in 'put our app on your phone, give us your number, install the desktop sync app and invite a friend to do the same' territory if you want to retain access to varying amounts of data over that 15Gb.

None of those 'achievements' are made clear up front before creating an account, and the expiry dates presumably exist with the express intention of getting you committed enough to start paying for the storage instead of the hassle of moving it.

Further the pressure to 'invite a friend', who will of course have the same conditions imposed on them smacks of MLM-style tactics, getting poor old Joe Public to do your dirty marketing work for you.

There is also a 'transfer limit' separate from the storage amount, which restricts the total about of data you can transfer to/from their service in any given month. For free accounts there is no specific transfer limit; it's dynamic based on their "spare bandwidth" so you could find yourself unable to access your data at any time unless you upgrade to a paid plan.

This kind of crappy business practice makes my blood boil :madas:

If there are any clear terms about the limitations of the free account without having to actually sign up (at which point they have your email address), I can't find them. Additionally, according to the small print in their terms and conditions:

mega.nz wrote:If at any time you do not make a payment to us when you are supposed to (including on termination), we can (and this doesn't affect any other rights we may have against you):

11.1 suspend or terminate your use of the service and/or;

11.2 make you pay, on demand, default interest on any amount you owe us at 10% per annum calculated on a daily basis, from the date when payment was due until the date when payment is actually made by you. You will also need to pay all expenses and costs (including our full legal costs) in connection with us trying to recover any unpaid amount from you.

(My emphasis).

What a crock of crud those ridiculous terms are.

I stopped investigating at that point. Look, they may be useful for some 'throwaway' short term things, and their encryption is nice and all but they are far from transparent up front and come across as downright manipulative to me.

Personally I wouldn't go anywhere near an exploitative service like this with a bargepole.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby James Perrett » Wed May 13, 2020 11:10 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:Personally I wouldn't go anywhere near an exploitative service like this with a bargepole.

I'd be very wary of them due to their past history - they used to be a haven for piracy.
James Perrett

Next