You are here

Windows 7 PC suddenly powers off

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Windows 7 PC suddenly powers off

Postby innerchord » Fri May 22, 2020 10:30 pm

You should take out the hard drive and copy all the data you need before you start doing anything else. That must have been suggested?

Also, doesn't Cubase SX3 use a dongle? That is it's authorisation.
innerchord
Regular

Postby uselessoldman » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:28 am

If your computer shuts down without the BSOD (blue screen) I would say 99.9% its the power supply. One of mine did the exact same thing a few weeks back, bought a new one, bobs your uncle sorted. I did buy a damn good one his time, no messing its worth it in the end Seasonic 850 Gold 10 yr warranty !! Get a cheap one off eBay and test your system.

I have an old psu kicking about if you want one to try
uselessoldman
Poster

Postby Marbury » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:57 am

Hi,

Thanks for the offer, that would be very helpful if you really didn't mind. I would of course cover postage.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Soundcat » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:45 am

I was experiencing something similar, it turned out the power supply needed to be replaced.
Soundcat
New here

Postby Marbury » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:22 pm

i'm still up for trying your old one uselessoldman if the offer is still on ?
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Marbury » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:27 am

Ok, just got round to trying it in safe mode and it shut down again with no warning after about 30 seconds.

I need to replace this https://www.amazon.co.uk/quiet-Pure-Pow ... B005JRGVAW but it is currently unavailable.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Marbury » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:12 pm

Can anyone with more computer knowledge please suggest a possible replacement for the PSU ?
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby innerchord » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:18 pm

I don't know that brand at all, and whether their connectors are standard or not, but it looks like the later version is this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078X22YHM

I make NO guarantees as to the compatibility, however. Perhaps someone else has dealt with these units?
innerchord
Regular

Postby Marbury » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:46 am

innerchord wrote:I don't know that brand at all, and whether their connectors are standard or not, but it looks like the later version is this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078X22YHM

I make NO guarantees as to the compatibility, however. Perhaps someone else has dealt with these units?

Well at £99 I am certainly not going to bother replacing it. Its just a pain as I need my old pc with the Windows Live Mail folders I had as Win 10 doesn't support it.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:55 am

Any ATX PSU should be capable of being hooked up as it's the widest supported standard out there and I'd be surprised if most places dealing with end consumers stock anything else these days... although I'm not going to try and predict what might be lurking in the darkest recesses of Amazon.

With PSU's you really do pay for what you get.
A £20 unit might power it up fine, but will come with a short warranty, little to no extra load protection and a loud fan that cost them next to nothing.

The £99 unit will come with a far longer warranty, components that are capable of powering it for the duration of that warranty (no firm wants to pay for a repair in the final year!) and the upgraded parts usually stretches to something that won't shread your ear drums in the fan department.

Notably, you look at those more expensive units and they tend to feature a whole load of extra current protection designed to stop your system getting fried should anything go wrong. Having seen hard-drives, main-boards, GPU's get blown out on many a cheap machine, it's something I always tried to avoid. Having a PSU fail isn't the worst thing, everything goes eventually it's just as long as it does it cleanly as it's the one component where when if it fails badly it can take the whole system with it... that's kinda what you pay for with better units.

Still, the point I was heading towards was, if you just want it to log in and check your mail and have no thoughts of otherwise stressing it, try looking for the cheaper Corsair/Antec and see if they are about. Not really keen on either range in systems that are being thrashed, but just for basic office duties they tend to be amongst the better options in the price range.

You might still find an old Seasonic S12 still for under £50, although the newer Core series feature a longer warranty and better fan and a far, far newer design, it pushes the price up another £15. My preference remains the Seasonics or be quiets although both are in short supply and have been for a few months now, restocks are marked for the end of the month at this point.

The be quiet straight power you linked is their second tier model and tends to be where I aim for with a system PSU, as the top tier flagship tend to be vastly over spec'd for most users with less than a couple of GPU's. The one you're replacing was positioned a couple of ranges below it and their "Pure Power" or even the "system power" range (supposed to be only for OEM builders, but widely available), would most likely be closer to where the older model sat in the range.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Marbury » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:58 pm

The reason I question the price is because if I cough up that much money and it turns out the PSU wasn't at fault, it's an expensive mistake. Its a conundrum.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Marbury » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:44 pm

Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Trevor Johnson » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:23 pm

try looking for the cheaper Corsair/Antec and see if they are about

Aerocool, it might be fine, it might not.

I would go for this Corsair instead on the budget specified:
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/450w-corsair-cv-series-cv450-fully-wired-80-plus-bronze-single-rail-36a-120mm-fan-atx-psu
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby Marbury » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:58 am

Ok, thanks Trevor.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Previous