You are here

Clicks and pops in Omnisphere and other issues with new PC

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Clicks and pops in Omnisphere and other issues with new PC

Postby Marbury » Wed May 06, 2020 11:59 am

I am not having a nice time with computers of late as some of you will already be aware. My latest headache is a new machine

Win 10 64bit Pro
i5-9600 3.7GHZ processor
16 GB ram

NI Komplete 6 AI

And yet In Reaper running Omnisphere I still get clicks, pops and zipping sounds when a few tracks are running or when I play certain instruments like "Big Boomer strike" in Omnisphere. *NB I tried everything to stop this clicking until I found the culprit. It was the Pro-verb effect in the FX rack. The cpu and ram are not taxed at all looking in task manager, but simply turning the reverb off has solved this particular problem. Funny enough, re-loading the same reverb again with the same settings did not cause the clicking. Work that one out!

I have the latest drivers for Komplete 6 and have played around endlessly in the ASIO set up of the K6 in Reaper and yet my PC still struggles. Its a nightmare. Can anyone with a similar set up advise on what settings I should have in the K6 ASIO as I am stumped.

I have Keyscape arriving today so it would be nice to get this working right before it is installed.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Re: Clicks and pops in Omnisphere and other issues with new PC

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu May 07, 2020 11:45 am

Fiddling with the "Stream break" and memory pre- allocation settings normally helps smooth out the playback with Spectasonics stuff.

https://support.spectrasonics.net/manua ... index.html
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Marbury » Thu May 07, 2020 12:34 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:Fiddling with the "Stream break" and memory pre- allocation settings normally helps smooth out the playback with Spectasonics stuff.

https://support.spectrasonics.net/manua ... index.html

Thanks Pete as it's quite worrying when this happens with a new i5 system. In fact, Keyscape seems to be even worse for clicks and pops on the bigger combi sounds. Fiddling with it does not seem to stop the clicks and pops sadly.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Dicko » Sat May 09, 2020 10:33 am

Best run latencymon.
Dicko
Regular

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon May 11, 2020 9:27 am

Yeah, I saw mention of Keyscape and jumped straight to the tweaks I'd normally look at for it specifically. Upon rereading I notice a mention of pro-verb tipping it over too, that would as noted above be worth looking at with Latency mon.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Marbury » Mon May 11, 2020 12:53 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:Yeah, I saw mention of Keyscape and jumped straight to the tweaks I'd normally look at for it specifically. Upon rereading I notice a mention of pro-verb tipping it over too, that would as noted above be worth looking at with Latency mon.

Ok, just ran it while playing the keyscape patch "Duet on tape keys" which gives me crackles and pops.

Here is the report from Latency mon:

Your system seems to be having difficulty handling real-time audio and other tasks. You may experience drop outs, clicks or pops due to buffer underruns. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:01:02 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

Computer name: DESKTOP-SF85TQD
OS version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 18363 (x64)
Hardware: Z390 D, Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9600KF CPU @ 3.70GHz
Logical processors: 6
Processor groups: 1
RAM: 16318 MB total

Reported CPU speed: 3696 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

If you need the rest of the report I can post it but didn't want to glogg up this page with too much to read.

What I will also say is, while I have all my installed programs/apps on the main SSD drive, I have a new Seagate 2 TB BarraCuda 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive (7200 RPM, 256 MB Cache) which shows a noticable delay when accessing media. I can actually hear it whirring into life. This didn't happen with my old pc when accessing a 1TB drive.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon May 11, 2020 2:02 pm

Check your power management settings - the standard recommendation is to tune these for performance rather than low power.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Marbury » Mon May 11, 2020 2:57 pm

James Perrett wrote:Check your power management settings - the standard recommendation is to tune these for performance rather than low power.

Thanks James, I set this to your recommendation and it has cured the worst clicks but the odd patch still give a few crackles which isn't audio clipping. The sustain pedal seems to trigger them.

I ran a second test which was better but not sure about the bios settings unless it is something reasonably simple.

Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:00:30 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
SYSTEM INFORMATION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Computer name: DESKTOP-SF85TQD
OS version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 18363 (x64)
Hardware: Z390 D, Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9600KF CPU @ 3.70GHz
Logical processors: 6
Processor groups: 1
RAM: 16318 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed: 3696 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue May 12, 2020 9:48 am

It's saying that cores are being downclocked in use, which is standard power saving in a system. If a core is reallocated on the fly by the OS then the sequencer may come up short in real-time, it's pretty much the reason I bang on about locking all the cores off to similar settings and EIST / Speedstep is where you start looking, although it varies from board to board and you want to check the manual for anything that offers to slow it down for any reason.

Marbury wrote:Thanks James, I set this to your recommendation and it has cured the worst clicks but the odd patch still give a few crackles which isn't audio clipping. The sustain pedal seems to trigger them.

To be clear, in what context is this?

1, you have no music playing, you push the sustain pedal and it crackles
2, you have no music playing, you hit a chord and apply sustain to hear it crackle
3, you are playing through it with backing, you apply the sustain and it crackles

If it's only the third one, which I assume it is, then sustaining a sound whilst playing a rift in, is effectively stacking the polyphony each time you hit a new note but don't release the old one. That would suggest the core it's processing the stack on is overloading.

Hit "control + alt + delete" and open task manager > performance > CPU meter, right click on the meter and switch to logical core view. this shows you all the cores on the CPU, now try repeating the process with the sustain pedal and see if any single core looks like its clipping.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Marbury » Tue May 12, 2020 1:46 pm

Can't see an option for "logical core view" but there is a graph showing with real time processing. I was referring to the fact that I am playing 1 patch and pressing the sustain pedal at certain notes. This cracking seems to have stopped and the readout of the CPU is showing 9% if that helps.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed May 13, 2020 11:01 am

Marbury wrote:Can't see an option for "logical core view" but there is a graph showing with real-time processing. I was referring to the fact that I am playing 1 patch and pressing the sustain pedal at certain notes. This cracking seems to have stopped and the readout of the CPU is showing 9% if that helps.

Well, if it's stopped, I guess there isn't much more to do at this point.

For reference to switching the core view layout.

Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Marbury » Wed May 13, 2020 9:52 pm

It has pretty much cured it but the odd duel piano patch clicks when taking my foot off the sustain pedal but that is in normal performance, nothing complex. Playing around with the steam brake and pre-load memory size has no effect.
Marbury
Frequent Poster