You are here

I have no idea on what I'm doing but I know what I want it to do.

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

I have no idea on what I'm doing but I know what I want it to do.

Postby Slidewayz247 » Sat May 09, 2020 12:14 pm

Mods please move if in wrong spot.

Okay so I am trying to find a program that I can clip the tops of sound off in a live game I.E. not recorded stuff.

For example i need to be able to hear call outs at the 40bd lvl but clip everything over 60db to save my ear drums.....

Any suggestions?
Slidewayz247

Re: I have no idea on what I'm doing but I know what I want it to do.

Postby James Perrett » Sat May 09, 2020 2:16 pm

Wouldn't a limiter be better rather than a clipper? You probably need to find something that works as a virtual driver and allows you to insert plug-ins into the signal chain.

This has a limiter https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/potato.htm
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby MOF » Sat May 09, 2020 2:42 pm

Are you at this sport venue or are you receiving sound remotely, where are the ‘call outs’ coming from i.e. can you put a dedicated mic’ on that person?
If the sound you want isn’t clear then it’s not about level so much as removing frequencies to leave the speech band clearer.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Dicko » Tue May 12, 2020 7:37 am

What software are you using ?
A limiter would be my choice
Dicko
Regular

Postby CS70 » Tue May 12, 2020 10:43 am

Slidewayz247 wrote:Mods please move if in wrong spot.

Okay so I am trying to find a program that I can clip the tops of sound off in a live game I.E. not recorded stuff.

For example i need to be able to hear call outs at the 40bd lvl but clip everything over 60db to save my ear drums.....

Any suggestions?

It depends if you want to still hear the 60dB stuff, only at a lower volume, or you don't want to hear it at all.

In the former case (which makes more sense), you need to find yourself a limiter.
A limiter.. limits the max level to whatever you want (fo example, 40dB), acting very fast.

It depends a bit on your setup (specifically if you use a USB headset or an analog ouput for headphones and analog input for mic), but the easiest way would be to get a cheap hardware limiter box and put it inline between your headphone out and your headphones. Basically instead of having

Code: Select all
computer --usb--> interface headphones out --cable--> headphones

you will have

Code: Select all
computer --usb--> interface headphones out --cable--> limiter --cable--> headphones

There's plenty of good and cheap limiter boxes from the past that can be had for very little in the used market: dbx, behringer, aphex... you name it. For your application you don't need any particular audio properties other that limiting, so really any would do.

A hardware limiter would not add any processing load on you pc which for gaming is obviously a thing.

There are other ways but this would be the simplest one. If you use an USB headset shout out and we'll take it from there.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page