You are here

Recording mono mix on Windows Camera

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Recording mono mix on Windows Camera

Postby 1Cal » Mon May 11, 2020 9:09 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know if theirs a simple way of recording a single microphone on both channels when using then Windows10 Camera app? My Apogee One audio interface driver pans the microphone to the left channel and the instrument to the right.

However there appears to be no option to pan one input centrally on the Maestro app or the driver.

There’s a workaround on the Apogee website using QuickTime but I don’t think this is available for Windows any more.
1Cal
New here

Re: Recording mono mix on Windows Camera

Postby James Perrett » Mon May 11, 2020 10:44 pm

Normally you would control the panning with your recording software so I think you may need to use something more sophisticated than the Windows Camera App.

Alternatively, use the Windows Camera App and then adjust the audio in an editing program. Reaper will do this adjustment with no problems.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby 1Cal » Mon May 11, 2020 11:09 pm

Thanks, I normally use Studio One but I’ve never used it with video before. I’ll investigate
1Cal
New here

Postby James Perrett » Tue May 12, 2020 12:55 am

1Cal wrote:Thanks, I normally use Studio One but I’ve never used it with video before. I’ll investigate

Looks like you need the Professional version to import and export video but, if you have that version, you should be good to go. If you don't have that version then give Reaper a try as it has basic video editing built-in.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby 1Cal » Thu May 14, 2020 8:25 pm

I didn’t have much luck with Studio One Professional as a got stuck with putting the extracted audio back into the video file.

I found a much simpler solution which was to download OBS from one project.com. It’s free and records as well as streams video and most importantly allows the audio input to be switch to mono.
1Cal
New here