You are here

GPU Boost

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

GPU Boost

Postby Dicko » Tue May 12, 2020 7:43 am

Hi
Just checking the bios set up for my Asus Q170M-C machine and have posted this on the Steinberg site but got no answer.
As the title suggests should i enable or disable GPU Boost ?
I'm using Cubase 10.5
Dicko
Regular

Re: GPU Boost

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue May 12, 2020 9:27 am

The manual info is sparse but it seems to be an onboard GPU boost setting, which i would imagine would give you a whole extra frame per second in angry birds.

I can't imagine it making any kind of a difference whilst you've got a sequencer open, so I'd most likely leave it off. The GPU cores are in the CPU for the onboard solutions and if you're boosting them, you're adding to the thermals of the entire chip.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Dicko » Tue May 12, 2020 11:10 am

Thanks Pete.
I've read the Cubase set up articles and can't find anything about this.
It's probably there somewhere but i just can't see it :headbang:
Dicko
Regular

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed May 13, 2020 11:04 am

It's by no means a standard feature, they probably just haven't seen it before.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dicko » Thu May 14, 2020 8:47 am

OK Thanks Pete.
I'll ask Asus.
Dicko
Regular

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu May 14, 2020 9:24 am

Dicko wrote:I'll ask Asus.

I'm going to be surprised if they know anything in regards to Cubase through, it's a rather specific program that is most likely not on their radar.

GPU Boost is a mild self overclock for the onboard GPU on the CPU. and the side effect of pushing silicon faster is that you're making it warmer.

I lifted this from the ad copy for an old A88x board, so whilst not your model they do tend to keep the feature set names the same across the ranges.

"GPU Boost
Unlock integrated graphics performance for up to 30% boost

Exclusive GPU Boost is able to unlock any APU for overclocking integrated graphics. Even non-Black Edition APUs can be boosted – for an integrated graphics performance increase of up to 30%! Gaining this unique power is as simple as flipping an onboard switch or using ASUS AI Suite 3 utility. It easily delivers stable system-wide upgrades for every use."

As noted before, making it faster doesn't generally help you inside of your DAW,

The one time I might try it switched on for Cubase, would be in any event of screen tearing or flickering on the metering section. Then it might be possible that a bit of a speed boost might translate into something tangible, but even then there are a few other things more likely to trigger that.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dicko » Fri May 15, 2020 9:52 am

Thanks.
I can't find it now so, i'll leave it alone
Dicko
Regular