You are here

PC fans

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

PC fans

Postby WADEAL » Wed May 13, 2020 11:41 pm

I'm building an intel i9, based pc, with an x299 motherboard, fractal f6 case and noctua nh15 fan. Questions. Any thoughts on the best orientation for the fan?

Also, although the fractal case has fans, would i benefit from installing additional fans (potentially running more fans slower to keep down noise)? If so, where would they be best positioned in the case, what size, and should they be exhaust or intake?
WADEAL
Regular

Re: PC fans

Postby Dicko » Thu May 14, 2020 8:46 am

It it's a tower. out from the back at the top.
If you go in. Go from the front at the bottom.
It's a general air flow thing.
Check the temp of the components when running to see if you need extra cooling.
Dicko
Regular

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu May 14, 2020 9:35 am

Aye, all good advice.

Past the general airflow comments above, the Fractal fans are average airflow with a better than average noise profile. Depending on the chip you have, I might look at running 2 or possibly 3 fans in total and most likely replace the stock ones if the noise was a chief concern.

Really, if you're already building, just get it built with the stock fans, get it into windows and stress test it with a CPU load tester like Prime95 or OCCT. Run it for a while, see where the temps stabilize under 100% and as a rough guide if it's above 80 degrees uprate/add cooling if it's below it's fine. At the same time, this will show you rather quickly how much fan noise 100% load sounds like, although remember you'll probably never run the machine as hard ever again!
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby WADEAL » Thu May 14, 2020 1:15 pm

This was the way I was thinking - stress test after installation, buy another fan if necessary and try it in a few different places and orientations til I find the best temperature. The real issue however was finding the best orientation of the cpu fan as although I can rip it off, change the orientation and repaste the cpu, its a messy job that I would rather avoid.
WADEAL
Regular

Postby Pete Kaine » Fri May 15, 2020 11:02 am

The exposed power cable on the fan strut always faces the direction the air is blowing. You want that pointing towards the rear fan vent.

I personally don't blow it out the top as default because most people have the case on the floor and this would be pointing more towards your ear and you've also made a new hole for sound to escape from. However, if the case is on the desk with the vent above ear height, or otherwise locked away somewhere from your seated position then I would probably also change it around to the top port.

Heat rises, so yes the more efficient vent might get you an extra degree here or there if it doesn't otherwise impact you.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Moroccomoose » Fri May 15, 2020 12:27 pm

If I understand you system correctly, the choice is Blowing into the case at the rear or sucking out of the case at the top...

.. Blowing into the case makes the case higher pressure than the room so you get less dust ingress and will mean the heat sinks will not clog so quickly. Sucking out of the box causes the case to be lower pressure than the room, so would give rise to dust ingress and faster clogging.

A fan at the inlet will have more of a directed flow than one at the outlet. Giving whatever is in its direct path better cooling. At The outlet the fan will draw air from all areas inside the case, so everything will get more even airflow. Generally you want the GPU and CPU to get the lion share of the airflow.

A fan at the outlet is likely to be quieter. .

Another thing to think about..

At the inlet,the fan draws cool air over it, blowing it into the case. At the outlet, the fan is drawing heated air over it, so its bearing life will be reduced. This is probably a 2nd order effect for a home build pc, but all the small details add up.

So there are pros and cons to either placement

I would favour fan at inlet.

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular