You are here

Is there a plug-in to microtune soundfonts?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Is there a plug-in to microtune soundfonts?

Postby ulrichburke » Fri May 15, 2020 5:20 am

Dear Anyone.

OK. I use soundfonts BECAUSE of the tons of presets you get with VST synths - I've got Dexed (and others!) and I'm forever searching for the right sound through the presets because I'm too stupid to get the hang of making what I want from scratch. Soundfonts are One Sound. You know what it's gonna sound like. Or so I thought!

Tried using a few together in this piece I'm working on. Sounded like a choir of drunken cats at closing time, so I checked very carefully and discovered the soundfonts weren't QUITE in equal-temperament tuning with each other, all the tiny sound differences were clashing, hence the cacophony.

Anyone know anything that's UNDERSTANDABLE (in other words that has fewer than forty buttons to twist, hopefully LOTS fewer!) and that lets you put soundfonts in it and micro tune them all so they sound sweet together? Or is a plug-in you can put on a channel (I think that's the right word) and microtune the sounds on that channel so everything sounds 'right' together?

Hadn't hit this problem before - guess I'd been pretty lucky without realising it!

Yours cacophonously

Chris.
ulrichburke
Regular

Re: Is there a plug-in to microtune soundfonts?

Postby resistorman » Fri May 15, 2020 2:01 pm

What software are you using? Most allow pitch editing. Are you wanting to manipulate the midi or wave pitch?
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Re: Is there a plug-in to microtune soundfonts?

Postby resistorman » Fri May 15, 2020 3:16 pm

Sorry, I meant which DAW are you using?
resistorman
Frequent Poster