You are here

Windows 10 and multiple audio interfaces

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Windows 10 and multiple audio interfaces

Postby sghose » Mon May 18, 2020 10:29 am

I am not sure if it is possible for ASIO to support multiple audio interfaces by aggregating them. If not Microsoft need to start think on this line as this will help many users, i suppose.

What do you think?
sghose

Re: Windows 10 and multiple audio interfaces

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon May 18, 2020 10:50 am

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Mon May 18, 2020 11:09 am

sghose wrote:I am not sure if it is possible for ASIO to support multiple audio interfaces by aggregating them. If not Microsoft need to start think on this line as this will help many users, i suppose.

What do you think?

No, ASIO does not support multiple audio interfaces playback.

But it's nothing to do with Microsoft - ASIO exists exactly to bypass Microsoft's code.

ASIO is made and maintained by Steinberg - both specification and reference implementation (the software development kit). While the ASIO SDK is still developed (https://sdk.steinberg.net/viewforum.php?f=1), I am not sure such a major change is in the cards at all.

After all, ASIO comes from an era when Microsoft's audio subsystem was intended for multimedia applications, not music studio processing. These times are long past, and WASAPI exclusive (microsoft's architecture) does pretty much the same thing as ASIO (and arguably you could use also the older kernel streaming, albeit with some limitations). The reason ASIO is still the driver model of choice is now tradition and amount of compatible software. So I wouldn't hold my breath about ASIO.

With Microsoft drivers, I haven't really looked hard but I have a hunch that with the current architecture it would be perfectly possible to do something similar to what OSX does.. (gotta check the clocking interface). But audio interface producers tend to focus on their own product, and I am not sure if Microsoft has enough requests from customers to prioritize that development (especially with most musicians complaining loud about how they are "forced to update".. :D)

Also the current trend towards lower-cost multi channel interfaces kinda down-prioritizes that.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby James Perrett » Mon May 18, 2020 12:14 pm

Some manufacturers also allow you to use multiple interfaces of the same type with ASIO - certainly RME do and I think Focusrite also allowed this with some of their Firewire interfaces.

Microsoft certainly tried to cater for low latency audio but their efforts were mostly ignored by developers (with the exception of Cakewalk who were part of the development effort and Reaper which supports a wide range of driver models).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby garrettendi » Mon May 18, 2020 2:15 pm

On the back of this, I haven't tried to have a YouTube video play at the same as me through an amp sim.

Not sure I can do this.

Sorry to hijack! Back on topic...
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby CS70 » Mon May 18, 2020 2:23 pm

garrettendi wrote:On the back of this, I haven't tried to have a YouTube video play at the same as me through an amp sim.

That most likely won't be an issue at all...
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby garrettendi » Mon May 18, 2020 2:24 pm

Grand! Will make learning to butcher popular songs easier.

Now I can cause a travesty even quicker!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby The Elf » Mon May 18, 2020 2:36 pm

sghose wrote:I am not sure if it is possible for ASIO to support multiple audio interfaces by aggregating them. If not Microsoft need to start think on this line as this will help many users, i suppose.

What do you think?
It's been a frustration for a long, long time, but I think events are going to overtake it. Interface aggregation will come in the form of network audio, though ASIO may be the final destination.

It's definitely not a Microsoft issue, though I do feel they should have taken a lead when they had the chance. From my experience WASAPI doesn't get close to the performance of ASIO.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.