You are here

How do I share files across Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

How do I share files across Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines?

Postby Baldo » Mon May 18, 2020 10:18 pm

I have already tried googling this and get a load of conflicting sites.

I just want to share files acros a home network from my windows 7 machine to my windows 10 machine.

The Mac is able to read the windows 7 files ok, I just cant seem to find out how to do it in W10.

Thanks for your help.
Baldo
Baldo
Regular
"Never put a recording studio in your home, it is a black hole into which you can pour unlimited amounts of money" Pete Waterman.

Re: How do I share files across Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines?

Postby Baldo » Mon May 18, 2020 10:38 pm

The issue is that I cant see the windows 7 machine on my W10 machine.

I see the name of my W10 machine in explorer on my W7 machine but I can't seem to login to it.

How can I set this up from scratch on both machines.

I know about sharing and all that stuff. I want to be able See each machine on the other machine....
Baldo
Regular
"Never put a recording studio in your home, it is a black hole into which you can pour unlimited amounts of money" Pete Waterman.

Postby The Elf » Mon May 18, 2020 10:39 pm

Go the easy route and sign them both into Dropbox (or similar).

Or if you want a permanent, and more flexible, solution get a small NAS drive.

I long ago lost patience trying to get machines to see each other and allow simple sharing.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby wireman » Mon May 18, 2020 11:02 pm

I have not tried this but Method 4 and following text from here makes sense...

https://www.easeus.com/pc-transfer/file ... ws-10.html

If you can share to the Mac I would hope it should be possible to share to the Windows 10 system without any more setup.

What is your network setup? Are you saying you don't see the Windows 7 system in the Network part of Explorer? If so perhaps you need the discovery option turned on in the sharing preferences.

It should just be a case of opening \\NAME\share in explorer. If that works you can map a drive to the network location.

If you know the current IP address you could try that instead of NAME above although that can change on a reboot.

It is confusing because there are multiple ways to share, Directly, via a homegroup (and even via domains).

Are you only wanting to share one folder/
wireman
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon May 18, 2020 11:50 pm

As the Elf says: Dropbox or similar.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby James Perrett » Mon May 18, 2020 11:52 pm

Does your network router have a USB socket? If it does, plug in a USB stick and use that for file sharing. I had a Netgear router which made this very easy.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue May 19, 2020 12:11 am

wireman wrote:I have not tried this but Method 4 and following text from here makes sense...

https://www.easeus.com/pc-transfer/file ... ws-10.html

Unless you're using a Network Attached Storage device (NAS) or USB sticks, this is totally the right answer. Windows network shares can be a bit of a fiddle to set up but they do work, they are fast and very convenient.

Ideally, if you have a need to share material on an ongoing basis you could do far worse than invest in a NAS and point all the computers on your home network at it. Think of it as a little cloud in your house that everything can see and share stuff using.

Another benefit of a NAS is that you can set up mirrored drives in it so that all your data is stored on 2 physical drives, meaning you lose none of it if one drive fails or if any of the drives in your computers fails.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Baldo » Tue May 19, 2020 7:19 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

Dropbox? No No NO. ie upload files at 40Mbit/s download at 240MBit/s ..., Why why why? Easier jsut to copy onto a USB and walk over to the other machine and copy them that way.

USB stick via the router, certainly possible, but again, not the cleanest option.

Managed to sort it out in the end.

Why do I want to do this? because I have several machines in the house and I want each machine to be able to see the files on the other.

thanks again all.
Baldo
Regular

Postby The Elf » Tue May 19, 2020 8:36 pm

Baldo wrote:Thanks for the replies guys.

Dropbox? No No NO. ie upload files at 40Mbit/s download at 240MBit/s ..., Why why why? Easier jsut to copy onto a USB and walk over to the other machine and copy them that way.

USB stick via the router, certainly possible, but again, not the cleanest option.

Managed to sort it out in the end.

Why do I want to do this? because I have several machines in the house and I want each machine to be able to see the files on the other.

thanks again all.
If you're in no rush then Dropbox is perfectly adequate; copy the file then go have a cuppa. Clearly you're wanting speed.

If you're doing this constantly then a NAS is a great option. If it's on occasion then a USB stick may suffice. Size might be a restriction.

Even if you get machines talking to each other one day, the next they will claim they've never seen each other and one will be hiding. Been there, done that - NEVER again! :headbang:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby innerchord » Tue May 19, 2020 8:47 pm

I have to stick up for Windows network file sharing. It's the simplest solution, and has been working reliably in several business situations for me for years. You just need to set it up properly in the first place. Other solutions have their place, of course.
innerchord
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Tue May 19, 2020 10:13 pm

It is that long since I did it but I seem to think it is an issue of enrollring each of the devices in the home network. But as several others have suggested, try the NAS option, easy to setup, many have built in media player software.

So in my case, I have a 4K LCD TV with an ethernet connection (wired and wireless) so all media files are 'streamed' to my PC. I have a seperate folder for data files for use on the PC, my Samsung tablet connects to it with ease, it connects in an instant.

I got fed up of faffing about with Windows networking, works fine in a server/client setup, but with the 'home network' it sometimes just 'lost' connections and sometimes had to set the whole thing up again before I could re-connect.

I had a little more success when I used static IP addresses and woould re-establish a connection using net connect. But yep, NAS for me, works all the time everytime. The model I have Western Digital also acts as a host for a USB drive
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby James Lawford » Tue May 19, 2020 11:49 pm

Im super happy using OneDrive and a Synology NAS. In fact I don’t have any local documents on either my home or work PC’s. It’s all in the cloud.
Cloud Sync running on Synology keeps a backup so whenever I am in the world, on laptop, iPad or iPhone, I can access documents on OneDrive and have the backup on NAS which I can also directly access as a mapped network drive in Windows. Cloud Sync is two way, so that backs up to OneDrive too.

Actually all my recording projects and recording media files are local but I manually drag and drop into the NAS folder as a backup when turning my recording machine off. By the time I’ve packed all the gear up (sad, no permanent space yet!) the backup is done.
James Lawford
Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed May 20, 2020 8:50 am

I also took the Synology option for my NAS.

All of my computers automatically back up their document folders to it as I work, without any intervention on my part. I also have my media server running from there, meaning I can listen to my music, view photos, or watch video content anywhere I happen to be - on the downstairs TV, queueing at the supermarket, or on the other side of the world. My main computers initiate their own overnight system drive image backups to the NAS. My security cameras use the NAS for storage, plus I can access the cameras from a Synology app. My phone and tablet back up their content to the NAS. My cloud services (Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, iCloud, etc) all sync with my NAS. My main and backup live performance laptops sync through a NAS folder. I'm even sharing some space for collaborators to add project data.

And my NAS automatically and continuously backs up its entire content to a secondary NAS and to Backblaze.

Once set up, this all happens without me having to lift a finger! It really has become a central part of my digital world, and I can't think how I'd manage all this useful stuff without it.

To make my NAS appear as a regular drive on my PCs I use the free RaiDrive - works seamlessly.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Trevor Johnson » Wed May 20, 2020 10:59 am

I use the free RaiDrive - works seamlessly.

Thanks, Elf, hadn't come across RaiDrive before, so have downloaded the free version to try.

When MS removed Homegroup from Win 10, they were giving a clear message for people to use OneDrive, and made it, intentionally, or not, difficult to connect PCs on the same local network.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby The Elf » Wed May 20, 2020 11:41 am

Trevor Johnson wrote:
I use the free RaiDrive - works seamlessly.
Thanks, Elf, hadn't come across RaiDrive before, so have downloaded the free version to try.

When MS removed Homegroup from Win 10, they were giving a clear message for people to use OneDrive, and made it, intentionally, or not, difficult to connect PCs on the same local network.
You're welcome. If you're happy for your drive to appear as a network drive the free version will be all you need.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Next