You are here

How do I share files across Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: How do I share files across Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines?

Postby ef37a » Wed May 20, 2020 6:07 pm

I seem to remember XP was easier to network than W7 and a LOT easier than W10!

With XP you just told it to "search for computers on the network" and once done. Done.

IMHO things have not got better. Today I found my W10 laptop would not print which requires it to connect to a W7 desktop underneath printer. After much faffing with laptop and getting no useful information I turned my attention to the DT and found I had no connection at all, i.e. no internet. MUCH faffing with the W7 machine eventually told me that a plug was out. Not so, properly seated and blinking. However I pulled it both ends and replaced. i now had internet and the laptop showed the PC in 'Network' but clicking on the 'Living room-PC' gave me "cannot find Liv......" Bah! But then expanding 'Network' showed me various drives on LR-PC and I could open 'Users>Music'.

I then cut and pasted a 2.48G file from laptop to LR-PC, it took over 3 minutes which I think is about 230kbps? I can dump to a USB 3.0 stick and walk into the next room and transfer it faster than that!

Now, for 'historic' reasons my TTlk router feeds a gigabit 8 port switch and I no longer need all 8 ports so, for my next trick I shall try an RJ45 CAT6 cable twixt laptop and switch.

Dropbox? No, too intrusive and in any case my upload is never better than 9.5M so the USB stick still wins? BTW the file did transfer properly. It is a chunk of Radio 3 destined for son and it would stream back to the laptop perfectly.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed May 20, 2020 7:58 pm

ef37a wrote:I then cut and pasted a 2.48G file from laptop to LR-PC, it took over 3 minutes which I think is about 230kbps? I can dump to a USB 3.0 stick and walk into the next room and transfer it faster than that!

I make that 110 Mbps - which is strangely close to 100Mbps so could your network port be limited to that? A normal USB3 stick won't be much faster unless you've bought yourself a super duper high performance one.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby wireman » Wed May 20, 2020 9:07 pm

A bit off-topic but at one time moving files over a network (in the same building) for me meant 9600 baud (or twice that if you were lucky) using something called Kermit.

Now I can do more than 80MB/s to my NAS with rsync as long as the files are not too small.
wireman
Regular

Postby James Lawford » Wed May 20, 2020 10:07 pm

The Elf wrote:I also took the Synology option for my NAS.

All of my computers automatically back up their document folders to it as I work, without any intervention on my part. I also have my media server running from there, meaning I can listen to my music, view photos, or watch video content anywhere I happen to be - on the downstairs TV, queueing at the supermarket, or on the other side of the world. My main computers initiate their own overnight system drive image backups to the NAS. My security cameras use the NAS for storage, plus I can access the cameras from a Synology app. My phone and tablet back up their content to the NAS. My cloud services (Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, iCloud, etc) all sync with my NAS. My main and backup live performance laptops sync through a NAS folder. I'm even sharing some space for collaborators to add project data.

And my NAS automatically and continuously backs up its entire content to a secondary NAS and to Backblaze.

Once set up, this all happens without me having to lift a finger! It really has become a central part of my digital world, and I can't think how I'd manage all this useful stuff without it.

To make my NAS appear as a regular drive on my PCs I use the free RaiDrive - works seamlessly.

Does RaiDrive allow me to map the Synology NAS over t’internet? It appears as a mapped drive when I’m connected to my home Wi-fi, and I use Quick Connect to log onto the desktop interface if I need to do any admin.
Seeing the drive there all the time in Windows Explorer could be useful from time to time (I appreciate it probably needs port forwarding on the router which I’ve already set to so I can stream music lossless around three world to the music app!).
James Lawford
Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed May 20, 2020 10:56 pm

James Lawford wrote:Does RaiDrive allow me to map the Synology NAS over t’internet?
Yes. At home or external, it makes no difference. It will look and work the same.

This assumes that you set it up correctly, of course! Make sure to set RaiDrive up to use your NAS drive's external internet address.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby James Lawford » Thu May 21, 2020 12:26 am

The Elf wrote:
James Lawford wrote:Does RaiDrive allow me to map the Synology NAS over t’internet?
Yes. At home or external, it makes no difference. It will look and work the same.

This assumes that you set it up correctly, of course! Make sure to set RaiDrive up to use your NAS drive's external internet address.

More lockdown fun then! Thanks.
James Lawford
Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu May 21, 2020 8:23 am

wireman wrote:A bit off-topic but at one time moving files over a network (in the same building) for me meant 9600 baud (or twice that if you were lucky) using something called Kermit.

Now I can do more than 80MB/s to my NAS with rsync as long as the files are not too small.

Ee! Tha' didn't naw tha' wast born! :D

Mid '80s... first experience of remote support of systems across a UK region. Top rate was 2400 baud - bits (not bytes) per second - and several sites were supported on 600 baud lines. What is this 'Windows' of which you speak? :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Previous