You are here

Drivers for Different Programs

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Drivers for Different Programs

Postby GTR_RO » Wed May 20, 2020 9:52 pm

I need to know a few things.

Do I need to reset the driver for whatever device or DAW I’m using each time (assuming I switched DAWs)? Or does the program 'remember' my settings all the time?

Any idea why my Windows 10 computer crashed?

Being not just a novice but a non-tech sucks. I’ve been watching hours of videos on the two DAWs I have installed. I got Ableton Live Lite with my Arturia keyboard and my main DAW will be Cubase.

I want to keep both because after I get down the basics for Cubase I might want to explore Ableton’s live clip feature. I teach and it seems like an easy way to make some simple backtracks.

I originally installed Tascam 1x2 audio interface and have not been using it but the drivers are installed on my computer.

I use Finale and it has VST intruments (Garritan.)

I need to know which driver I need for each program. Here is a list of my choices for each program. The double asterisk is the one that is set right now.

Finale

Play through midi or VST?
Audio Setup > Audio Driver
**ASIO
-Direct Sound
-WASAPI

Mic Source: ASIO4ALL v2
=======================
Cubase:

VST Audio System:
**ASIO4ALL v2
-Focusrite Thunderbolt ASIO
-Focusrite USB AS10
-Gen Low Latency
-US- 1x2 ASIO
-US- 1x2 Mixing Driver
=======================
Ableton
Audio
**ASIO
-No Audio
- MME/DirectX

AUDIO DEVICES:
**ASIO4ALL v2
-No Device
-Focusrite Thunderbolt ASIO
-Focusrite USB ASIO
-Gen low latency
-US- 1x2 ASIO
-US- 1x2 Mixing Driver

I’m getting a Cubase book in a few days. I know there is a ton of information online but I prefer a book.

And I hope this is my LAST super noobie question here! Thank you.
GTR_RO
Poster

Re: Drivers for Different Programs

Postby The Elf » Wed May 20, 2020 10:54 pm

In general you should always choose the ASIO driver specific to your audio interface. You can pretty much ignore all the rest.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby GTR_RO » Wed May 20, 2020 11:09 pm

The Elf wrote:In general you should always choose the ASIO driver specific to your audio interface. You can pretty much ignore all the rest.
Right now I have the driver set to ASIO and with the Ableton Live, I have no sound when I when I go to say YouTube to watch a video with the program still open. I think when I installed the driver for Focusrite something went terribly wrong. As I wrote, my sound was disabled on my whole system.

Do I have to set the driver to the Focusrite drivers when I'm using that device?

I can't wait until I'm out of this hazing phase and I actually know what I'm doing!

Thanks.
GTR_RO
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed May 20, 2020 11:20 pm

The PC will default to sending local sound sources to its own sound card, not your ASIO interface.

So go into Windows Sound, select Playback Options (or words to that effect) and select the same ASIO interface as you're using with your DAW(s). Now all windows sound (YouTube etc) as well as the usual bings and bongs, will come from your interface.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Thu May 21, 2020 8:08 am

...but when you are running one of your DAWs you may well find that you can't get audio out of Windows, since the DAW will have established exclusive acess to it.

Some DAWs allow for non-exclusive access (I think Cubase does), but I wouldn't advise it. When you want to use Windows sound, exit the DAW - your ears will thank you for it, since you will typically be running DAW audio much lower than Windows.

And don't forget to set your System sounds to 'No sounds'!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby GTR_RO » Thu May 21, 2020 3:56 pm

Thanks for the help. I hate being in this position - dummy . All my years in music have been analog - I play and teach. I was reluctant to jump into electronic music production because of the very steep learning curve. Besides not knowing the software I am generally not technically oriented and often find myself painted into a corner by my own design, even though I didn't design the path to the corner.
GTR_RO
Poster