You are here

Help please: Ableton wont record from my audio interface but will record from the midi

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Help please: Ableton wont record from my audio interface but will record from the midi

Postby hopkins10 » Tue May 26, 2020 9:07 pm

Help please. I have Ableton Studio 10 and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface when I try to record in Ablerton for my audio interface (guitar) it doesn’t record and I get the following message “C:\Users\...........\Documents\Ableton\Live Recordings \Temp-69 Project\Ableton Project Info\ Projects8_1.cfg” could not be opened. But when I record with just my midi keyboard recording works fine? Any ideas what’s wrong
hopkins10

Re: Help please: Ableton wont record from my audio interface but will record from the midi

Postby manwilde » Wed May 27, 2020 1:29 pm

Hello!. Long time since I stopped using Ableton, but let see if I can help... so when you try to record audio Ableton gives you that error message before getting to see any actual waveform of the recorded audio?.
manwilde
Poster

Re: Help please: Ableton wont record from my audio interface but will record from the midi

Postby hopkins10 » Fri May 29, 2020 11:00 am

Thank you for your response. The message comes before the waveform is viable. The midi channels do record without any issue. It is the audi channels that I have the problem. On the audio channel before I start to record when I play the guitar I can see the bar graph go up and down as the input, I can also hear the sound in my head phones. But when I try to record I get the message and cannot record it.
hopkins10

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri May 29, 2020 1:06 pm

I don't use Ableton but a search around suggests that this could be down to an incorrect setting in your configuration that is pointing at a non-existent or inaccessible temporary folder used for storing recorded audio.

Have a look at Options -> Preferences -> File Folder -> Temporary Folder, then select "Browse". Check that the folder exists. You should be able to create it if not.

It may be that it does exist but that you don't have permission to access it, in which case you can try reclaiming/resetting the permissions using the Windows File Explorer, or specifying a different folder to which you do have permission.

Hopefully that should solve the problem.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby manwilde » Fri May 29, 2020 1:16 pm

Hello. The .cfg file is a configuration file. For some reason is not working properly.
Try to reset your configuration, following instructions on this link: https://liveproducersonline.com/ufaqs/h ... -settings/
Mine is an old Live 7.0 copy and I don't see many choices in the Preferences menu to deal with saving, reseting or import/export of configurations, maybe that has changed over time. Anyway it seems to be something about a corrupted config file. If reseting configs doesn't work you should contact Ableton or browse their forums for help.
I guess you had it all working fine before? It is a bit weird... Sorry for not helping further!
manwilde
Poster

Postby manwilde » Fri May 29, 2020 3:45 pm

Sorry, I didn't see Eddie's post when I wrote my previous one. Makes perfect sense, something seems to be wrong about folder access permission...
manwilde
Poster