You are here

Isolation Videos

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Isolation Videos

Postby forumuser773232 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:05 pm

I see all these isolation videos lately, really like how the videos have each band member in their home, for example the Rolling Stones one recently, but my question is, how do you get those screens to all fit into that video shot? Is it only through using Zoom or can you use a different software that allows you to edit the video in that way?
forumuser773232
Poster

Re: Isolation Videos

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:09 pm

Any decent video editing software will allow you to resize multiple video clips and arrange them in a single pane. It's a pretty standard feature!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:22 pm

I'd also suggest that it's very, very unlikely that these videos are recorded live from a Zoom call. The latency just doesn't allow that to be effective. They'll be recorded individually and then mixed together in a video editor.

There may be an SOS article coming about this...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby forumuser773232 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:41 pm

blinddrew wrote:I'd also suggest that it's very, very unlikely that these videos are recorded live from a Zoom call. The latency just doesn't allow that to be effective. They'll be recorded individually and then mixed together in a video editor.

There may be an SOS article coming about this...

I did realize that the videos were not actually recorded live while streaming, as the quality is too studio sounding like anyway.

Can't wait for that SOS article coming though!
forumuser773232
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:28 pm

Well. we'll see if they decide to run it first. :)
In the meantime it's worth looking iMovie if you're on Mac/iOS or, if you're PC based, DaVinci Resolve (very powerful but very hungry) or Shotcut (bit more basic but much less intensive).
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:13 pm

I was guided to Luma Fusion on my fairly basic iPad in a discussion on these pages. It's very good, particularly easy to set up presets of your own which corresponds with my Reaper workflow.

I'm in the middle of a project with a 7pc country band so we'll soon see how well this is going to hold up.

An SOS article would have been really helpful about 3wks ago but there was enough discussion on here to piece a plan together and plenty of time for trial and error.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby The Red Bladder » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:25 pm

Every musician I know has their own studio, so putting a multitrack together is easy. Everybody records their stuff in their studio in the usual way and it is then sent to the editor to be tidied up and turned into a decent edited mix.

When it is all finished, every musician mimes to the finished mix in front of a camera as if they were doing a regular music video. This is sent to the video editor who creates the pieced-together video in Premiere, Final Cut, Vegas or Media Composer - or whatever.

It looks like a Zoom-call but it ain't!

Simples!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Bunk » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:35 pm

I've done a couple of vids like this for a mate's band using Adobe Premier Elements; I'm using an old version and it was a little fiddly at first but have sussed it now. The later versions make it much easier and it's one of the standard editing options.
Interestingly I read that the Stones song was recorded before lockdown and wasn't directly intended to be about lockdown. Good timing that, chaps!
The Bunk
Frequent Poster