You are here

Windows 10 C: drive almost full

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Windows 10 C: drive almost full

Postby Marbury » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:32 am

I think I may have made an error when I had my new pc built earlier this year by opting for a SSD 500GB C: drive which is almost full because I have since downloaded some new VST software. My media storage drive is a mechanical 2 TB

Would it be advised to change the C drive to something like a ssd 1TB or move all the programs (except the os) onto the mechanical 2 TB ?

Thanks
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Re: Windows 10 C: drive almost full

Postby The Elf » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:37 am

Rather than guessing and throwing money at it I think you need to ascertain what's taking up the space. 500GB for a system drive should be plenty.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ef37a » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:40 am

I think I have read that an SSD does not slow down even when 'almost full' as a mechanical drive is prone to do? Therefore you probably don't need to do anything immediately.

Do you have room/can fit another drive in the PC? If so I would go for the biggest SSD I could afford as I am sure they are the future. Spinners are ok but always carry a tiny risk of failing?

'Proper 'puter men will be along shortly no doubt.

Hi Elf. Yes I thought that. We tend to collect junk and duplications so a good search and clear out is probably in order. There are free apps that can help with this mentioned by Mr Walker in his ever missed PC Notes.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Marbury » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:54 am

The Elf wrote:Rather than guessing and throwing money at it I think you need to ascertain what's taking up the space. 500GB for a system drive should be plenty.

For the os, yes, but what about all the other programs and vsts that take up all the space ? When they install they automatically go for the c drive.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:01 am

Yup! But what else have you got on the C: drive?

I have a separate physical disc that contains all my audio and video files - just under 500 GB of files at the mo, but disc is 1 TB in size. What is your complete config at the moment and how have you got it arranged?
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:02 am

I think what Elf and I are saying is "what ARE all these programs that are stuffing the drive?"

In any case it is usual when installing a program to be given a choice as to which drive it goes on?

And..."Eee lad, tha don't know tha born! We started off wi a 100kbps hard drive an'memory were a Woolies mono tape recorder".

(wish you chaps would think and type a bit slower!)

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:54 am

A typical VST .dll file is tiny compared to a hard drive. But some 'VSTs' arrive with a lot of supporting files, including sample content. If you're eating space it may be that you're choosing to place sample content also on the C drive, which may not be necessary and can often be fixed - so yes, figure out what's eating the space - you may save yourself time, money and a second problem when the next hard drive fills up!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Marbury » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:00 am

The Elf wrote:A typical VST .dll file is tiny compared to a hard drive. But some 'VSTs' arrive with a lot of supporting files, including sample content. If you're eating space it may be that you're choosing to place sample content also on the C drive, which may not be necessary and can often be fixed - so yes, figure out what's eating the space - you may save yourself time, money and a second problem when the next hard drive fills up!

So are you suggesting I stick all my Omnisphere, Spitfire software (huge samples) on the mechanical media backup drive ?
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:12 am

Don't know where you are Arp' but in UK it is not very expensive to replace wiring and sockets yourself and then get it signed off by a tame lekky.

Of course you have to know the specs you need to work to so the biggest upfront cost is a full book of wiring regs!

Same goes for gas work.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Marbury » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:14 am

ef37a wrote:Don't know where you are Arp' but in UK it is not very expensive to replace wiring and sockets yourself and then get it signed off by a tame lekky.

Of course you have to know the specs you need to work to so the biggest upfront cost is a full book of wiring regs!

Same goes for gas work.

Dave.

You have lost me.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:17 am

Marbury wrote:
ef37a wrote:Don't know where you are Arp' but in UK it is not very expensive to replace wiring and sockets yourself and then get it signed off by a tame lekky.

Same goes for gas work.

Dave.

You have lost me.

It's a mis-post Marbury :lol:

I'm sure Dave meant to post this in another forum topic where poster Arpangel is having issues with his house electrics...

Now where were we...? :D
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:20 am

Ok! Ok! I'm freekin OLD and tired and &%%^g BT have buggered up my email.

(sorry chaps)

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:21 am

Marbury wrote:
The Elf wrote:A typical VST .dll file is tiny compared to a hard drive. But some 'VSTs' arrive with a lot of supporting files, including sample content. If you're eating space it may be that you're choosing to place sample content also on the C drive, which may not be necessary and can often be fixed - so yes, figure out what's eating the space - you may save yourself time, money and a second problem when the next hard drive fills up!

So are you suggesting I stick all my Omnisphere, Spitfire software (huge samples) on the mechanical media backup drive ?

We need to know exactly how you have your machine configured... Obviously you have the c:/ drive... do you have a d:/, e:/ etc?

We're not talking about USB drives here, but permanently installed drives in the case that are part of the overall system configuration.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:22 am

Marbury wrote:

I'm suggesting you put sample libraries *somewhere* else, but where is up to you. Ideally it would be an internal drive.

When I spec a new PC I always have three drives installed: System, Samples, Audio. That way I have an entire internal drive for sample libraries and keep both my System and Audio drives clean.

As it is you may have to just see what you can achieve, but placing samples on an external drive might make for slow access, which may give you some trouble.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:22 am

Honestly, in these days where a Western Digital 1TB external SSD "Passport" drive costs less than a dinner out, I have thrown money at space problems and got a new SSD for sample libraries. A will get more should I need more space. Much faster and productive than micro-managing storage (that said, I have working methods for which I place anything that I know I won't need for long in temp directories, that get cleaned up every now and then).

Make sure you don't install on C: - almost all installers allow you to decide where to put stuff.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Next