You are here

Windows 10 C: drive almost full

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Windows 10 C: drive almost full

Postby Marbury » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:46 am

I have a 500GB ssd C: drive with

Per Logs
Program Files
Program Files(x86)
ProgramData
Users
Windows

Then a 2 TB D: media drive with all my work like images, videos (I am also a photographer) music, personal data and other media

I do have external USB drives for backing up work.

I know if I shift the program data etc over to the bigger D drive I will get problems with Reaper etc finding the files and it could be a headache.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:53 am

Thanks

As The Elf has said, I suspect all your sample files etc are sitting on the C: drive.

They could be moved to the D: drive and Reaper 're-educated' to go look for them there. I don't use Reaper so can't advise how you'd do that; sorry.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:12 pm

Marbury wrote:I have a 500GB ssd C: drive with

Per Logs
Program Files
Program Files(x86)
ProgramData
Users
Windows

Then a 2 TB D: media drive with all my work like images, videos (I am also a photographer) music, personal data and other media

I do have external USB drives for backing up work.

I know if I shift the program data etc over to the bigger D drive I will get problems with Reaper etc finding the files and it could be a headache.

I would advise you to:

- Download and run WinDirStat on your C: drive, from https://windirstat.net/ (it starts to get old but still works well enough)

This will give you a very clear, visual idea of what files are clogging your disk

- Most likely, as the chaps have said, you will find samples (a large number of small files in the same color in the result above, taking up a lot of real estate)

The key then is not to lift the entire ProgramData (which will likely give you no end of grief with more than just Reaper) but to focus on the software package/pacakges which own these samples. The name of the directory containing them is usually a hint.

Once you find what software owns the files, you have essentially two options:

- de install the software, and re-install it specifying a different sample location
- move them manually but spend the time to explore and learn how to reconfigure the package so that it knows where the new location is. Better do the exploring before the moving, some packages may be fussy and refuse to open if they don't find files. Then you give a try.

If WinDirStat shows you that your C: drive is not clogged by samples.. start by looking at the larger files (the larger rectangles) and see if you can remove or move them (among the largerst you usually find the OS paging and hibernate files and of course you don't want to move them).

"Move or remove" means as above - either you de-install/re-install the software, or you find out how to reconfigure it.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Marbury » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:30 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions here, and sorry for the patchy responses as dealing with mum's recent passing and my head is in all kinds of places. As strange as it sounds, things like this are a welcome respite from dealing with a lot of logistics.

I can see that the Spectrasonics folder at 142GB is the prime suspect in the program data folder. If I moved that to the D backup drive and re-directed Reaper would this be ok ?
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Agharta » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:01 pm

Marbury wrote:I can see that the Spectrasonics folder at 142GB is the prime suspect in the program data folder. If I moved that to the D backup drive and re-directed Reaper would this be ok ?

I think Reaper would access that data via Spectrasonics, so you have to tell Spectrasonics where to find the moved data.

ADDED:
Try this:
https://support.spectrasonics.net/manua ... ted-page04
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:47 pm

As above. Nothing to do with Reaper - whatever Spectrasonics plug-in you have needs to be told to look for its library in the new place you put it.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Marbury » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:14 pm

I don't think there is any way to tell Spectrasonics where to look for it's sounds once installed.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:17 pm

I dare say if you move them somewhere new it will ask you where they are when it can't find them in the original install location...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:28 pm

Marbury wrote:I don't think there is any way to tell Spectrasonics where to look for it's sounds once installed.
Yes there is. You just create a shortcut to the new location and place the shortcut where the old Steam library was.

It's all detailed on Spectrasonic's web site.

I've done it myself, so I know it works!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Marbury » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:34 pm

I did it and re-directed it fine but now my Omnisphere and Stylus RMX programes are showing they need updating (they were updated to the latest software not long ago) I am also asked now to authorise both VSTs (which I already have) so something has screwed up the system. Even worse, when I download and re-install the latest updates that it has flagged up, they make no difference as Omnisphere still shows that it is not up to date.

Spectrasonics do state on their site that folders should not be moved from their installed hierarchy.

Please do not move the folders. The installers rely on the folder hierarchy
presented in the download to function properly.
The installer automatically checks to see if you already have a Spectrasonics
folder on your startup drive to determine the location of the STEAM and
SAGE folders.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:51 pm

Marbury wrote:I did it and re-directed it fine but now my Omnisphere and Stylus RMX programes are showing they need updating (they were updated to the latest software not long ago) I am also asked now to authorise both VSTs (which I already have) so something has screwed up the system. Even worse, when I download and re-install the latest updates that it has flagged up, they make no difference as Omnisphere still shows that it is not up to date.

Spectrasonics do state on their site that folders should not be moved from their installed hierarchy.

Please do not move the folders. The installers rely on the folder hierarchy
presented in the download to function properly.
The installer automatically checks to see if you already have a Spectrasonics
folder on your startup drive to determine the location of the STEAM and
SAGE folders.

That is because ProgramData is often used for storing a lot of stuff - generally because (unlike Program Files) it does not require rights elevation to be accessed. Some of this stuff can be moved, some of it can't. No idea about the specific plugins, but they probably mix configuration data (which is small, and better left where it is) with sample data (which is large, and should be possible to read from anywhere).

It is of course possible that the specific plugins lock you in using exactly that directory - developers have been known to be occasionally idiotic - but it's worth a google search.

Again, you just have a go in a structured way.

- Bring back ProgramData and verify that all works again
- Using windirstat, locate the place where the samples are
- Check for options/configuration for your plugin that specify that place
- change it and move the files

The third bit can be a bit of a detective work since every plugin can store configuration where and who they please, but a google search often helps..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Marbury » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:16 pm

I moved the whole Spectrasonics folder back to it's original place and it still flags up that it needs updating (again, it was updated) but no matter how many times I try and update it via the Spectrasonics "smart update" , the status always shows in need of updates when I open Omnisphere. I really hate Spectrasonics for this as they make it like rocket science. It tells me Omnisphere is currently running on 2.6.2 so I download the update of 2.6.3 and it installs fine. Open Omnisphere and it still shows it is running on 2.6.2. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

And it gets worse. I installed the software update and it showed that all was up to date. Brilliant I thought. However, closing it and opening Reaper again it showed that it was in need of the same updates. I give up.

I could go for a system restore ?
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:38 pm

Sounds to me like you are installing OK, but your DAW is not pointing to the folder that the update is installing into. Go find the latest .dll for your plug-in and see where it has been placed...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:43 pm

Marbury wrote:I moved the whole Spectrasonics folder back to it's original place and it...
This is worrying. You should only be moving the STEAM folder. Have you read the instructions on Spectrasonics' web site?
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Marbury » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:53 pm

Even more worrying is it's the same after a system restore from a few days ago. I did open Reaper and see the Omnisphere was up to date but again, I open a different saved project and it was telling me again it needed updating. I then opened the previous project that showed it was up to date and you guessed it, it now shows it needs updating. How can this be when ALL projects are universally set to the same paths (telling Reaper where to look for vsts etc) in preferences ?

I have even directed the route to the .dll file in the folder the latest update is installe and it still fails to show it when Omnisphere is loaded

I am at a loss.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext