You are here

Windows 10 C: drive almost full

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Windows 10 C: drive almost full

Postby The Elf » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:04 pm

Marbury wrote:Even more worrying is it's the same after a system restore from a few days ago. I did open Reaper and see the Omnisphere was up to date but again, I open a different saved project and it was telling me again it needed updating. I then opened the previous project that showed it was up to date and you guessed it, it now shows it needs updating. How can this be when ALL projects are universally set to the same paths (telling Reaper where to look for vsts etc) in preferences ?
Because it may not be installing into the place where Reaper is looking. You are going to have to be methodical about this and work through it carefully.

Again... this has nothing to do with Reaper! It doesn't matter where Reaper is looking for projects. Omnisphere has its own folders and you need to sort those out.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Marbury » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:18 pm

Ok, it turns out that there were 2 .dll files Reaper was linked to which may have confused it. So you are right, Reaper can only look at where it is told to. All good now. I will now move the Steam folder ONLY and see if that is a better option.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:28 pm

PLEASE! Don't just take my word!

Read Spectrasonics' *full* instructions on how to move the STEAM folder. And read it three times before you do *anything*!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Marbury » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:54 am

All is good except that when I open Omnisphere, all the sound listings in the library are displaying twice which is odd.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:32 am

Your Steam folder should look something like this. Make sure you haven't accidentally duplicated something:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Marbury » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:09 pm

This is mine on the C drive

Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:15 pm

But your STEAM folder shouldn't be on your C drive any more, if you've followed Spectrasonics' instructions on moving it. On your C drive there should be a shortcut to its new location.

Did you follow the instructions to the letter?

e.g.

The shortcut here points to my D drive:

The shortcut's properties:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Marbury » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:50 am

I can't follow it to the letter as Spectrasonics installed the steam folder on my C: Program data, not C:Program files. It installed automatically so I didn't choose the location.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:39 am

You haven't followed the instructions!

Look at my screen pics above.

The STEAM folder is installed into ProgramData by default - nothing wrong with that. Your job is to move it from there to a place of your choice (move, not copy!) and then place a shortcut to the new STEAM folder where the old STEAM folder used to be (in ProgramData).
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Marbury » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:41 pm

The Elf wrote:You haven't followed the instructions!

Look at my screen pics above.

The STEAM folder is installed into ProgramData by default - nothing wrong with that. Your job is to move it from there to a place of your choice (move, not copy!) and then place a shortcut to the new STEAM folder where the old STEAM folder used to be (in ProgramData).

Yes, I was looking at the diagram on the Spectrasonics instructions which shows the Steam being located on the C:Program files
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Previous