You are here

"DSAservice.exe"

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

"DSAservice.exe"

Postby ef37a » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:22 am

AKA "Intel Driver Support Assistant". I found my old HP i3 laptop was slow to nearly stopped on boot up because the CPU was slammed to 100% and DSA was taking 97% of that.

Stopping the service in Task Manager fixed it pro tem but it was back at the next boot up.
Devilishly there is no "DSAservice.exe IN 'Services' so how to stop it permanently?

Some Googling found that is also called that Intel Driver..... and is supposed to look for and install new drivers? (this is Win 7 BTW) I found two instances with a similar name in Services. One was set to automatic and the other manual. I stopped them both. Now no 100% grab at boot up.

I suppose I shall now no longer get driver updates but since I rarely connect hardware to the laptop these days, not a problem and I guess I could simply reinstate the service for the duration if the need arose?

This experience set me thinking about those poor souls that have had their drivers trashed by an overzealous W10? Maybe there is a similar driver updating service that can be hacked?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: "DSAservice.exe"

Postby CS70 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:59 pm

Most likely is not the program in itself, but the way it uses the network driver - these drivers are often the reason for this kind of thing.

If it's not defined a service, it usually is a "startup program". In windows 10 you have a control panel for them, previously you only had a configuration tool (msconfig.exe) or of course you can directly edit entries in the registry ( at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run )
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby ef37a » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:13 pm

CS70 wrote:Most likely is not the program in itself, but the way it uses the network driver - these drivers are often the reason for this kind of thing.

If it's not defined a service, it usually is a "startup program". In windows 10 you have a control panel for them, previously you only had a configuration tool (msconfig.exe) or of course you can directly edit entries in the registry ( at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run )

Bit OMH CS. I went> Computer/Rclk/Manage/Services. I am always wary of stopping things in there but I looked at two sources of advice and set a restore point.

Registry hacking I have very rarely done and in fact if the need arose I would probably pay the guy on the main rd to do it!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:59 pm

Try msconfig then. Simply open an explorer window, and in the text at the top where you see the path, type msconfig and hit ENTER

In the "Startup" tab you will see which programs are automatically run when you log in (or you will be redirected to the equivalent section in Task Manager, depending on which OS you have)

No registry editing required. :)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby ef37a » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:20 pm

CS70 wrote:Try msconfig then. Simply open an explorer window, and in the text at the top where you see the path, type msconfig and hit ENTER

In the "Startup" tab you will see which programs are automatically run when you log in (or you will be redirected to the equivalent section in Task Manager, depending on which OS you have)

No registry editing required. :)

Sorry matey, perhaps I wasn't clear? I have fixed it. Stopping Intel Drive Assistant sorted it.

Yes, used msconfig in the past.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:00 am

This is a bolt on app and not a system requirement. If you're not using it, you could just remove it from add/remove programs in control panel if you want, it should tidy up after itself in the process.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby ef37a » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:57 am

Pete Kaine wrote:This is a bolt on app and not a system requirement. If you're not using it, you could just remove it from add/remove programs in control panel if you want, it should tidy up after itself in the process.

Thanks Pete. As I understand it the app looks for and installs the latest drivers? I would rather do that myself..IF I have a problem, don't think I ever have?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:20 pm

ef37a wrote:
Pete Kaine wrote:Thanks Pete. As I understand it the app looks for and installs the latest drivers? I would rather do that myself..IF I have a problem, don't think I ever have?

Aye, it's only Intel specific drivers at that, so chipset, wifi, ethernet, GPU, but only if you have Intel ones in there.

It doesn't always seem to locate the latest ones half the time either, so I don't really see the point of having it on there unless you get stuck and can't locate them anywhere else.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio