You are here

Long opening times.

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Long opening times.

Postby FrankRaz » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:52 am

Ever since Windows 10 decided to update itself to 2004 any projects I have that include any NI instruments take absolutely ages to open. At first I thought it was just Kontakt but it also happens with Absynth or any of the others. It only really happens with the first project of the day, later ones are a bit quicker but it is really annoying. Is this happening to anyone else and does anyone know what's happening?
FrankRaz
Regular

Re: Long opening times.

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:17 am

Have you tried running CCleaner or similar software?

(If using CCleaner, don't use default settings, but tweak what you and don't want it to do. Otherwise you lose saved logins, cookies etc.)

I've found that some unneeded stuff was opening on Startup and generally sitting in the background doing nothing much at all - except consume resources. I did a fairly significant clear out and keep on top of it by checking at regular intervals.

I also use CCleaner to sweep the registry on a regular basis: perfectly reliable, no heart-stoppers. I should use Malwarebytes and its sibling Adwcleaner more than I do to check for, and remove, clutter.

All that said, these are complex bits of software with lots of stuff needed to load-in on first-boot. Mine have always taken a bit of time - irrespective of OS version.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:32 am

Changing to an SSD can make a big difference if you're not already using one; I'd run Defraggler on it otherwise. Resmon might help pinpoint resource hogs.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:40 am

BJG145 wrote:Changing to an SSD can make a big difference if you're not already using one; I'd run Defraggler on it otherwise. Resmon might help pinpoint resource hogs.

+1 for SSD, never looked back.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:40 pm

I suspect that quite a few software companies haven't finished testing their code with Windows 2004 yet as it is so new.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Moroccomoose » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:13 pm

I had a similar problem closing down cubase. The remedy I found on t'interweb was to clear out the users/name/app data/roaming/steinberg folder on your OS install drive.

Just be sure to copy any custom templates , instrument patch lists or device panels if you use them.

Once they are deleted (copy backed up just in case of course), cubase will reinitialise them next time then after that it is quicker.

That all said I second the SSD advice!

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby FrankRaz » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:50 pm

Thanks for the replies chaps. I've got the OS on an SSD but the samples are still on as HHD (can't afford an SSD for those yet).
Everything was fine before the update of Win 10. Having said that I also updated all the NI stuff. I also run CCleaner regularly.
I'm using Cubase and Sonar and it happens on both. If projects have no NI instruments then they open normally, so it seems the problem has to be there.
I always keep my music machines offline unless I really have no choice, I really hate the fact that you can't activate NI offline any more.
FrankRaz
Regular