You are here

Can anyone help me with Kontakt Player and so-called 'free' libraries?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Can anyone help me with Kontakt Player and so-called 'free' libraries?

Postby ulrichburke » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:53 am

Dear Anyone.

Firstly - thankyou for helping me with sound-sourcing, much appreciated! I actually sold part of the track I was working on thanks to you lot.

Eesh. Got another dumbass question. OK. I've got Kontakt 4 Player. So I know it only uses free libraries, fair enough. So I found this on YouTube....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVlMw5SHPSg

and it said free libraries, so I downloaded a couple and they play for precisely 12-15 minutes then come up 'DEMO LIMIT - TIME EXPIRED' Now I know they're genuinely free because I downloaded them from legit. source webpages, not from one dodgy site, that's why I gave you the YouTube link incase you want to see that. And I THINK Kontakt PLAYER 4 is legit. free, am I right? So why am I getting this 'Demo Limit' stuff and why can't I use the sounds for more than 15 minutes (ish!) before having to reload player and sounds? If I do the reload I get another short period of time but then have to reload again and so on.

It's the lovely free acoustic guitar I wanted most of all of them, but I don't see what I'm missing re. 'free' stuff.

Yours puzzledly, sorry to bother you again,

Chris (who isn't very good at the computery side of composing but seriously wants to learn!)
ulrichburke
Regular

Re: Can anyone help me with Kontakt Player and so-called 'free' libraries?

Postby IAA » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:13 am

Hello there Chris, it could be that the instruments you downloaded were for the full version of kontakt not player. The downloads normally specify this.

You’re running an old version of player, I think we’re at v6 now, so I’d check that out. Also I’m presuming you have the free kontakt libraries too that come with player? You’ll need to have Native Access to Load and authorise then, again check that out on the native site.

Finally here is a link to Spitfire Audio’s Labs series of FREE instruments which don’t use kontakt and are brilliant. There is a couple of guitars in there too (as well as whale song instruments!)

https://www.spitfireaudio.com//labs
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:18 am

You’re misunderstanding how Kontakt works,

To load and play any Kontakt instrument without limitations, you need the full version of Kontakt.

The free Kontakt Player version only loads and plays officially licensed libraries, as they have paid for this privilege. Any other Kontakt instruments loaded into Player, including all the free Kontakt instruments you can download, will time out after 15 minutes of use.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby ulrichburke » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:28 pm

Dear Desmond.

So even though they SAY they're free, they're NOT free, you still have to pay to use them? Why call them free, then? What a flamin' con! You're right, I totally had misunderstood how Kontakt worked, I thought the player was just so you could use the free libraries in a more limited way than with the full instrument. Didn't realise you still had to pay to use the free libraries on a free instrument.

Again - what a mislabelling con trick!

Thanks for putting me wise.

Yours respectfully

Chris.
ulrichburke
Regular

Postby desmond » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:55 pm

ulrichburke wrote:So even though they SAY they're free, they're NOT free, you still have to pay to use them?

No, they *are* free. Yes, you need Kontakt to use them.

Or to put another way - Kontakt owners can take advantage of free Kontakt instruments, as a benefit of ownership of Kontakt.

Just like if I made free patches available for Diva. They are free patches. But you can only use them if you have Diva.

This is not a con. When you make sampled instruments for the Kontakt platform, you need to have Kontakt the use them.

Kontakt Player *only* exists, so non-Kontakt owners can buy and use something like a Spitfire library, without also having to buy Kontakt. And this works financially for NI, because Spitfire have to pay a licence fee to NI specifically to allow use of their library in Kontakt Player. (Hint: It's quite expensive - that's why free libraries can't do this.)

If you extend your argument out, then no software is free, because you have to buy a computer to run it.
(Whereas what it really means is that you own a computer, therefore you can take advantage of free software.)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:48 pm

ulrichburke wrote:Dear Anyone.

Firstly - thankyou for helping me with sound-sourcing, much appreciated! I actually sold part of the track I was working on thanks to you lot.

Eesh. Got another dumbass question. OK. I've got Kontakt 4 Player. So I know it only uses free libraries, fair enough. So I found this on YouTube....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVlMw5SHPSg

and it said free libraries, so I downloaded a couple and they play for precisely 12-15 minutes then come up 'DEMO LIMIT - TIME EXPIRED' Now I know they're genuinely free because I downloaded them from legit. source webpages, not from one dodgy site, that's why I gave you the YouTube link incase you want to see that. And I THINK Kontakt PLAYER 4 is legit. free, am I right? So why am I getting this 'Demo Limit' stuff and why can't I use the sounds for more than 15 minutes (ish!) before having to reload player and sounds? If I do the reload I get another short period of time but then have to reload again and so on.

It's the lovely free acoustic guitar I wanted most of all of them, but I don't see what I'm missing re. 'free' stuff.

Yours puzzledly, sorry to bother you again,

Chris (who isn't very good at the computery side of composing but seriously wants to learn!)

Kontakt Player is free, and there are some Kontakt libraries that are free, but that does not mean they will play on Kontakt Player but might well need Kontakt itself
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby resistorman » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:05 pm

IAA wrote:Finally here is a link to Spitfire Audio’s Labs series of FREE instruments which don’t use kontakt and are brilliant. There is a couple of guitars in there too (as well as whale song instruments!)

https://www.spitfireaudio.com//labs

Wow, thanks for this link!
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:14 pm

resistorman wrote:Wow, thanks for this link!

And don't forget Pianobook:
https://www.pianobook.co.uk
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby miN2 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:06 pm

I think a lot of the confusion with this comes from the nomenclature because many of us call all Kontakt instruments sample libraries, but in the language of Kontakt that's not correct.

A sample library is that which will show up in the library tab. A sample instrument is that which won't. Sample libraries can be used with the player. Sample instruments require the full version.
miN2
Poster