You are here

Samsung R60Plus laptop, worth upgrading?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Samsung R60Plus laptop, worth upgrading?

Postby mick.n » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:38 pm

Apart from the snail like performance, this laptop is in perfect condition. Specs are....... Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2310 @1.46GHz 1.47GHz. Installed memory 2.50GB (2.25GB usable. 32bit operating system.

I was thinking of fitting an SSD and maxing out the RAM to 4GB. Running Win 7 Pro at present, but was thinking of getting Win 10.

Would it give any performance increase by upgrading?.....intended use is just general browsing (No audio recording or editing ) Hate the thought of throwing away something that can be pressed into service if at all possible. Had this since 2007.
Or is it time to move on to a new laptop.

Thank you.
mick.n
Frequent Poster

Re: Samsung R60Plus laptop, worth upgrading?

Postby James Perrett » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:55 pm

Ironically I'd say that spec was fine for basic audio recording and editing but not sufficient for modern web browsers. Have you checked to see whether it will actually run Windows 10? I think it may be too old.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby mick.n » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:00 pm

James Perrett wrote:Have you checked to see whether it will actually run Windows 10? I think it may be too old.

When i tried to do the free "upgrade" to win 10 it wouldn't allow it as laptop was too low spec. But i was able to do a fresh install of win 10 & it ran reasonably ok (IIRC)

Re the web browsing.....it is painfully slow (using Firefox) especially with a half dozen or so tabs open.

Thanks for the reply. :)
mick.n
Frequent Poster

Postby innerchord » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:55 pm

That machine is just below what I consider the minimum for a modern machine to be used for web browsing, email etc.

However, I think it would be worth the upgrade. You need the 4GB RAM, and reinstall Win7 in 64-bit mode.
Replace the drive with an SSD and it'll be a useful machine.

If you want to squeeze more performance out of it install a modern Linux distro (avoiding those with the most memory-intensive interfaces).

If you are a computer tech, there is probably a CPU upgrade available, too. I've done many on those type of laptops. It's cheap, but you must know what you're doing.
innerchord
Regular

Postby allebaug » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:36 pm

innerchord wrote:That machine is just below what I consider the minimum for a modern machine to be used for web browsing, email etc.

However, I think it would be worth the upgrade. You need the 4GB RAM, and reinstall Win7 in 64-bit mode.
Replace the drive with an SSD and it'll be a useful machine.

If you want to squeeze more performance out of it install a modern Linux distro (avoiding those with the most memory-intensive interfaces).

If you are a computer tech, there is probably a CPU upgrade available, too. I've done many on those type of laptops. It's cheap, but you must know what you're doing.

Have you considered a new, or better, a reduced cost refurbished laptop? One large manufacturer's outlet site lists a large quantity of refurbished units: 15" screen and larger; 4G+ RAM; Win10 64-bit installed; faster, newer generations of CPU; and lots of other new features, for $250 and greater.

How much do you figure to spend to upgrade your laptop, still having an old CPU?
allebaug
New here

Postby mick.n » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:54 pm

Thanks again for the replies. :)

The cost of the ssd & 4Gb ram is just under £100.
Actually, i have just discovered a fault with this laptop. I haven't booted it up for over 3 months.

Just after the BIOS screen & just as it is starting to load the o/s it is making a constant beeping noise.

I checked the beep codes (Pheonix BIOS) and there is no mention of the beep pattern i hear.

The noise is a constant "beep"beep"beep"beep" noise. It stops beeping when the o/s is just about fully loaded.

Hope i haven't wasted £100. :headbang:
mick.n
Frequent Poster

Postby innerchord » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:07 pm

mick.n wrote:Just after the BIOS screen & just as it is starting to load the o/s it is making a constant beeping noise.
It's probably related to a BIOS error. You may well need a new CMOS battery. I have never worked on any Samsung so don't know which type it uses, but often that's the cause of such issues. If you set the date in the BIOS, does it remember it? Does it pass all diagnostics, and otherwise work correctly?
innerchord
Regular

Postby mick.n » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:31 am

Hello, yes, other than this beeping thing it all works ok. Clock in bios keeps the correct date.

Think I have found the problem.......key on keyboard randomly sticking on. Trying to locate replacement keyboard.
mick.n
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:23 pm

mick.n wrote:Apart from the snail like performance, this laptop is in perfect condition. Specs are....... Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2310 @1.46GHz 1.47GHz. Installed memory 2.50GB (2.25GB usable. 32bit operating system.

I was thinking of fitting an SSD and maxing out the RAM to 4GB. Running Win 7 Pro at present, but was thinking of getting Win 10.

Would it give any performance increase by upgrading?.....intended use is just general browsing (No audio recording or editing ) Hate the thought of throwing away something that can be pressed into service if at all possible. Had this since 2007.
Or is it time to move on to a new laptop.

Thank you.

Honestly (and sadly) I wouldn't bother. It's like thinking of using a Model T as a daily drive - even if u get the best performance out of it, which involves an amount of effort and money, it will be crazily outpaced even by a fourth-hand modern car.

You might be able to use it for recording, but the experience won't likely be great either even with the smallest of DAWs (probably Reaper)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby mick.n » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:57 pm

CS70 wrote:
Honestly (and sadly) I wouldn't bother. It's like thinking of using a Model T as a daily drive - even if u get the best performance out of it, which involves an amount of effort and money, it will be crazily outpaced even by a fourth-hand modern car.

You might be able to use it for recording, but the experience won't likely be great either even with the smallest of DAWs (probably Reaper)
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, i know it isn't going to break any performance records ;)

The intended use is just internet browsing & email sort of things. The main reason for a desire to keep this thing going is that it was an Xmas present from the wife 13 years ago.....i tend to be over sentimental with things like this, even though the wallet can take a hit!!

Just managed to source & order a replacement keyboard (2nd hand)

Thanks again :)
mick.n
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:04 pm

CS70 wrote:You might be able to use it for recording, but the experience won't likely be great either even with the smallest of DAWs (probably Reaper)

Actually the experience will be fine with Reaper - it should be perfectly capable of handling a reasonable sized mix provided you stick with the stock plug-ins.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ajay_m » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:45 pm

Cripes and I was wondering about updating the current studio laptop which is a core i7 with 8g and about 6 years old. I'd pick up a laptop of about the vintage of mine as cpu performance has flattened off in the last few years but fitting an SSD is worth it - that's what I did a couple of years back. But no that cpu is just too old and slow in my opinion.
ajay_m
New here