You are here

Audio Files

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Audio Files

Postby forumuser773232 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:27 am

I need to convert .wav files to audio files so they are able to be manufactured onto a CD for release. My question is, in order to do this, do I need to convert wav files into PCM files since they are what normal CD audio files are formatted as?
forumuser773232
Poster

Re: Audio Files

Postby ef37a » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:33 am

??? So long as I have the file as 16 bit/44.1kHz .wav I just tell Samplitude (pro X 3) "make a CD" and it does it.
Previously we, son and I just dragged and dropped into Nero.

Of course, these were just bog s CDs for our own interest. No titles or data. (the term 'Red Book' comes to mind?)

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby forumuser773232 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:51 am

I don't have a CD burner nor software on my computer to convert to audio files. Can anyone recommend any online conversion sites?
forumuser773232
Poster

Postby adrian_k » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:50 am

Hi,

I don’t think you should need to do any conversion. You will need someone to make you a master CD to Red Book standard that can then be duplicated, and that person should be able to burn your wav files to CD without any intermediate conversion. (As long as the wavs are 44.1/16)

During the burning of the master CD things like CD text (where eg song titles are embedded as text than can be displayed on a CD player) and ISRC codes can be added.

Wav files actually hold the audio as PCM, so the only ‘conversion’ is to strip off the wav metadata during the burn process.

Cheers
A
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby ef37a » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:58 am

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=122890

And, in Samplitude I don't think we even needed to convert from 24bits, Sam did it all, even the free Silver Pro X2.

But I have not burned an audio CD in years, DVD vids yes.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:11 am

forumuser773232 wrote:I need to convert .wav files to audio files...

They ARE audio files!

... so they are able to be manufactured onto a CD for release.

All CD burning software is able to accept wav files and encode them appropriately to burn the CD. Or, if you are using a professional mastering company, they will expect .wav files too.

...do I need to convert wav files into PCM files since they are what normal CD audio files are formatted as?

Nope... .wav files ARE PCM files.

You're obviously a bit out of your depth here... Are you hoping to make CDs yourself, or are you getting a duplication or replication company to do it for you?

Most CD duplicator/replicator companies offer a 'mastering service' where they will take the .wav files of your tracks, arrange them in your desired order and with appropriate gaps, and then make the required CD.

So I suggest you have a conversation with your chosen CD production company.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby James Perrett » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:01 pm

This is one of the things that a mastering engineer does all the time. If the CD's are going to be glass mastered and pressed it would be best to send the factory a DDP file set. If you are going for a shorter run of duplicated CD's then you need to talk to your chosen duplicator. They may accept DDP files or they may need a different format (perhaps cue/wav or even a CD).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page