You are here

Reducing Latency on a Laptop

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Reducing Latency on a Laptop

Postby ef37a » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:39 am

GTR_RO wrote:I just purchased a collection of virtual instruments, a Garritan collection of world instruments. I plugged in my Arturia miniLab MKII keyboard and had an incredible amount of latency between pressing down the key and hearing the tone. It felt like at least 1/4 of a second. This seemed more than I experienced when I had other software working. Did I just imagine this? Does the level of latency differ with different software or gear? At one point I had latency in Cubase and Ableton Live at a manageable level and now with the Aria player, it feels unimaginable.

Drivers - there are default Windows drivers for basic sound functions in a computer. Do the various devices (audio interfaces, midi keyboards, etc.) have their own drivers? Does software offer specific drivers for accessing the code? When adjusting latency levels - are the adjustments made all about the processing elements of the CPU? I know this is a lot of information I'm trying to comprehend but it will help me (and hopefully others) with a less technical understanding of computer based music to understand what's going on under the hood.
Thanks!
Much better PC men that I will surely be along but two questions come to mind.

Does the PC have an SSD as the main system 'C' drive?
Does the PC have at least 8G of ram?

If the answer to either or both is no, you might struggle forever with that large download
IMHO.
As the previous discussion has said, low latency is mainly in the gift of the AI and especially its drivers but if you give the PC too much to do...

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:19 pm

Intel i7-8750H CPU @A 2.2oGHz
16 GB RAM
yes on the SSD

I just watched a goofy YouTube video posted by a game developer about Reaper. He went through the basics of creating a composition and it was so intuitive and easy that I decided to forego my Mixcraft and downloaded Repear instead. I plugged in my keyboard and - wow - basically no prohibitive latency.

So WHY no serious latency here?

Thanks!

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:23 pm

Correction. There IS significant latency. I popped open Analog Lab after installing Reaper and whatever synth was set to default was very responsive to the keyboard. When I tried an instrument, the latency appeared.

Postby The Elf » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:31 pm

You're not going to get good latency without good drivers. ASIO is specifically designed to reduce latency to a level where live playing is possible. So you need an audio interface with native ASIO drivers. Then you need to choose that ASIO driver in your audio software. It's as simple as that!

When you get your AI it will all make sense. At the moment you're trying to understand all of this without being able to see it in action. It's far simpler than you're making it.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:56 pm

Thanks. It really is starting to make sense. I'm trying to process all these terms and really not seeing the whole picture. A few msgs back you (was it you?) told me to drop the external sound card label. Then it dawned on me --- I had a sound card years ago in a desktop and I could plug things into it. That's what the Focusrite unit is all about. Duh.

And seeing how easy Reaper is...and the good news for Cubase, if they get it fixed before the end of the month, I can upgrade to Artist at 40% off.

So I better stop writing posts and start composing music!

Thanks for being patient with me.

Postby The Elf » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:26 pm

No problem - we're a patient lot here. :thumbup: :D

It's often good when you get the same information from different people - one person's way of explaining will gel with you when another's may not - even though they may both be saying essentially the same thing.

You're starting a wonderful journey into sound. Enjoy it!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Previous