You are here

You Tube signal levels

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

You Tube signal levels

Postby ef37a » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:32 am

Is there any way to tell what the original sound level was that was encoded to the video?

(When I write that out is seems silly but. Bear with?) I have tried to grab the sound of a YT vid using Audacity. Problem, the soundcard in my Lenovo T510 has sliders and they affect to level going to Audacity. Put them at max? That cause the track to hit 0dBfs and sound compressed. This is W10 and Fire fox.

My 2010 Asus living room W7 machine records fine with the levels at max and peaks never go above -4dBfs. Which is right? Also, does anyone know how to 'ungang' the sliders in the Via High Definition' sound card?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: You Tube signal levels

Postby adrian_k » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:45 am

hi,

Since no-one else has ventured in .... another way to do this is to use one of those conversion sites to grab the audio as an mp3 - search for something like 'convert YouTube to mp3'.

However, I'm not sure how legal this is so mods please jump in and delete if I am breaking any rules..

I've used this method for teaching purposes when I wanted to temporarily grab a song and say slow it down or tune it to concert pitch in Audacity just to illustrate a point, and it does work. You can also obviously set levels etc at that point as well.

All the usual caveats about downloading potential malware from the internet apply... my main 'office' machine is Linux so I maybe I've avoided problems because of that..

cheers
A
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby Tim Gillett » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:44 am

Dave as some sort of reference, all my YT uploads over the years were peak normalised to -1dbFS. If you record this example (without it clipping) and do a peak search, 1 db more should be pretty close to YT's 0dbFS.

https://youtu.be/XN5beM0E4tQ
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby DanDan » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:43 pm

DanDan
Regular
Dan FitzGerald MIOA  MAES
www.irishacoustics.com
www.soundsound.ie