You are here

Cubase - Upgraded to 64 Bit - Glitching with Basic Project

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Cubase - Upgraded to 64 Bit - Glitching with Basic Project

Postby Temp » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:34 pm

Hi Folks,

I've just upgraded my ancient SX3 version and bought the full 10.5 Pro license as I wanted to go 64 bit in order to access more of my RAM. After reading the SOS review on Cubase 6.5, I decided to go for that one - I'm aware it's a really old version, but the PC isn't up to recent standards and I didn't want too much of a new learning curve with regards to the GUI etc. After creating a simple track with a built-in synth I'm getting what appears to ASIO overload, although the ASIO meter isn't even reaching the second segment (neither is the disk). It's not constant, but happens every couple of minutes - it sounds like a ringmod effect - and then it dies out again.

Here's my spec:

Win 7 64 Bit (sp1)
i5 7600
8 Gig RAM
Audiophile 2496 (latest drivers)
Latency set to 256 samples

Again, I'm aware that it's a really old set up, but my lowly SX3 was rock solid and could easily handle 30-40 tracks and plenty of plugins/FX. Could the jump from 32 to 64 bit really be putting that much strain on the machine?

Things I've tried:

Increasing the ASIO buffer (no effect)
Using only 64 bit VSTi plugins (to avoid using the VSTi bridge - no effect)
Running a project in SX3 (the issue is not present)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Temp
Regular

Re: Cubase - Upgraded to 64 Bit - Glitching with Basic Project

Postby Dynamic Mike » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:07 am

I had no end of problems with Cubase 6 including those you're experiencing. I also had painfully slow mixdown times which usually reached 99% before reporting a runtime error & crashing. Steinberg were little to no help resolving it. I upgraded to 6.5 in the vain hope it would resove these problems & suprisingly it did!

Sorry that's not much help but you might be better stepping up to Cubase 9/10 then at least you'll get better support. I'm currently on 9 Pro and it's not massively different to 6. If anything it's easier to use & easy to hide stuff you don't use.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
'Cause the law don't change another's mind

Postby Temp » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:07 am

Thanks for the reply. I did initially install 6.5 (as opposed to 6), and I'm just about to install the update to 6.5.5. Things were marginally better after disabling one of my Audiophile 2496 cards (I've got two in the same machine), but I'm now experiencing a lot of issues with my 32-bit plugins. Ending the vstbridge process in task manager allows me to continue loading projects in some cases, but it wholly depends on the plugins I've used and it's far from stable. I'm going to have a hunt for the 64-bit equivalents, and if I can't find them, I'll just have to disable them within the newer version of Cubase for the time being.

The license does cover me up to 10.5 Pro, so if the situation doesn't improve with these earlier versions I might have to consider upgrading the PC hardware so I can run it.

Cheers.
Temp
Regular

Postby innerchord » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:41 am

Give Cubase 8.5 a go. Last to support 32-bit plugins, and fairly reliable and stable here.
innerchord
Regular

Postby Temp » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:20 am

I've got plenty of space, so I may well install 8.5, although stability without having to upgrade the PC is far more important to me than having all the latest features. Being somewhat of a moss-covered Luddite, my initial intention was to use the lowest possible 64-bit version, although finding a full installer for 5 was proving difficult.

It's been a while since I was up all night tweaking music software configurations, but after the initial failures I've now realised it's probably par for the course, especially after reading the SOS article on shifting to a 64-bit DAW. Cubase itself appears to be stable (no 'serious' error notices), but my previous housekeeping with 32-bit plugins - although nicely ordered and categorised into folders - is going to have to be refactored a fair bit in order to achieve a freeze-free workflow. I'm currently going through the tedious task of discovering which plugins work with VSTBridge and which ones are causing issues (a few are stable, some can be loaded into an empty project but subsequently fail on initialisation when reloading a project, and others won't work at all). I'll need to do this anyway, regardless of which version I end up using, and with my virtual sonic arsenal being fairly modest (most stuff is played in live) it's probably as good a time as any to purge buggy and unwanted plugins.

I've read good reports about jBridge, so I'll be taking a look at that too.

Cheers.
Temp
Regular

Postby The Elf » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:25 am

Temp wrote:I've read good reports about jBridge, so I'll be taking a look at that too.
Don't believe everything you read. I found it onerous to set up and flakey in use. Better to accept the future is here and move on, I'd say.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby jaminem » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:48 pm

The Elf wrote:
Temp wrote:I've read good reports about jBridge, so I'll be taking a look at that too.
Don't believe everything you read. I found it onerous to set up and flakey in use. Better to accept the future is here and move on, I'd say.

What Elf said...
If you are considering JBridge because you want to run some older 32bit VST's then I would take a look at the new effects included with later versions of Cubase - they are all really good quality and pretty varied these days so may remove the need to run old stuff...
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:43 pm

Aye, another one. I've nothing but good things to say about the guy behind jbridge, he's sent me fixs at times when I would have assumed they would take far longer due to public holidays, so hats off to his dedication on customer support.

But (and you knew it was coming) each time you bridge it, you're adding another layer into the mix that could upset things and making use of a whole stack of older plugins is akin to spinning plates whilst ice skating. You might get a couple up and running smoothly, but a few too many and it's going to get wobbly when you're not paying close attention.

Check for newer builds of your old plugins where you can and as noted above consider switching up to 64 bit alternatives where you can. If you can reduce the total number that you need to bridge, you might be able to smooth this out a bit.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Temp » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:24 pm

Thanks for the advice folks, it's much appreciated. After installing all the bundled goodies such as synths and the 'lite' version of HALion, I can see that I might not need too many plugins after all - I'm really impressed with the quality and articulation. I did reconnect my 2nd Audiophile 2496 and the weird ringmod-esque glitches immediately started again, so I think I've found the cause of that particular gremlin. My own VST instruments that I've created with Synthedit appear to work fine, so I'm down to a shortlist of around 5 or 6 that I still need to substitute (Synful Orchestra being one, but I certainly won't be paying the ~$500 for it).

Trying to manage where the various installers and updates deposit their sound files (*.vstsound) is a bit of a palaver, although Steinberg's Library Manager is helping to weed out the dupes and consolidate everything.

I'm going to see how I get on with 6.5.5, and if all's well I'll probably stick with that for a while.

One quickie: there used to be a file that you could drop into the Cubase folder to hide 'pseudo' or emulated MIDI inputs/outputs. Is there still a fix for this? I've got about 8 different ins and outs showing up but only have two physical connections (one traditional MIDI i/o and one USB). Am I right in assuming the DirectMusic ones are the actual hardware?

Cheers.
Temp
Regular

Postby innerchord » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:53 pm

I had to say goodbye to a few 32-bit favourites a few years ago. Some jBridged OK, others did not, so we had a last fling and said goodbye.

If I ever feel the need to revisit an old flame for a bit of 32-bit fun, there's a 32-bit DAW on my computer happy to see me whenever I run it!
innerchord
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:27 pm

Temp wrote:Thanks for the advice folks, it's much appreciated. After installing all the bundled goodies such as synths and the 'lite' version of HALion, I can see that I might not need too many plugins after all - I'm really impressed with the quality and articulation. I did reconnect my 2nd Audiophile 2496 and the weird ringmod-esque glitches immediately started again, so I think I've found the cause of that particular gremlin. My own VST instruments that I've created with Synthedit appear to work fine, so I'm down to a shortlist of around 5 or 6 that I still need to substitute (Synful Orchestra being one, but I certainly won't be paying the ~$500 for it).

Trying to manage where the various installers and updates deposit their sound files (*.vstsound) is a bit of a palaver, although Steinberg's Library Manager is helping to weed out the dupes and consolidate everything.

I'm going to see how I get on with 6.5.5, and if all's well I'll probably stick with that for a while.

One quickie: there used to be a file that you could drop into the Cubase folder to hide 'pseudo' or emulated MIDI inputs/outputs. Is there still a fix for this? I've got about 8 different ins and outs showing up but only have two physical connections (one traditional MIDI i/o and one USB). Am I right in assuming the DirectMusic ones are the actual hardware?

Cheers.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:32 pm

Temp wrote:Thanks for the advice folks, it's much appreciated. After installing all the bundled goodies such as synths and the 'lite' version of HALion, I can see that I might not need too many plugins after all - I'm really impressed with the quality and articulation. I did reconnect my 2nd Audiophile 2496 and the weird ringmod-esque glitches immediately started again, so I think I've found the cause of that particular gremlin. My own VST instruments that I've created with Synthedit appear to work fine, so I'm down to a shortlist of around 5 or 6 that I still need to substitute (Synful Orchestra being one, but I certainly won't be paying the ~$500 for it).

Cheers.

I have the licence for 10.5 but had 6 and 8.5 I found 6 troublesome, and like yourself found the free version of Halion quite impressive. I took 6 off my machine and find 8.5 my preferred choice, 10.5 uses almost 25% more cpu.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby emacdave » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:36 pm

You can download Pro 10.5 for a free trial - see how that works. If it's ok then got with it (I recommend it), however if you're system is groaning then 6.5 is not as hungry on your system as 6.0 is (in my humble opinion).
emacdave