You are here

Saffire pro 24, microphone and computer. Help!

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Saffire pro 24, microphone and computer. Help!

Postby Beaker_uk » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:32 pm

I have my late son's condenser microphone which I would like to use with my computer. He had a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 Audio Interface. Is it possible to hook these to my computer so I can record through the microphone? I am a university lecturer, and I need to have a decent microphone to record my lectures with now we've all gone online.

I hope someone can help me.
Beaker_uk

Re: Saffire pro 24, microphone and computer. Help!

Postby MOF » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:51 pm

Firstly sorry for your loss.
I’ve looked up the interface specifications and it says connection is by Firewire or Thunderbolt, so you will need a computer with a Firewire or Thunderbolt connection, the latter is via a Firewire to Thunderbolt convertor I think.
You will then need basic sound recording software (usually free, already built in to your computer’s software package or very low cost) and a pair of closed back headphones to monitor your recordings plus a desk or floor standing microphone stand.
Selecting the Focusrite Saffire for recording/monitoring purposes will entail going into Sound Preferences to change from the default built-in microphone and speakers/headphone socket.
Connect the microphone with a three pin xlr cable to the interface, switch on phantom power to that channel and set the gain until it occasionally shows red on the led meter then start recording.
The microphone should be about six inches away from your mouth and slightly above it but pointed at your mouth, this is to avoid plosives, and record in a quiet room with plenty of soft furnishing to prevent reverb/echoes.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Beaker_uk » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:37 pm

Hi MOFF,

Thanks. My son was a real music tech wizard, and as you can guess, I'm not!

I have the microphone connected to the Saffire, and the Saffire is connected to my computer via firewire. I can see the meters on the Saffire move when I make a noise, but can't seem to get anything through at the computer end. Do I need to connect an output from the Saffire to my computer?

I'm at a complete loss, mainly because I'm not technical!

I really appreciate your help.
Beaker_uk

Postby Beaker_uk » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:48 pm

Hi MOFF,

Update - I can see a level indication on my computer now when I speak into the microphone, and I can record! I've got all my son's other stuff including the filter and anti-shock mic stand, so it looks like I'm good to go!

Thanks for your help, and to all the other music techs out there.
Beaker_uk

Postby MOF » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:39 pm

I’m glad you got sorted, it’s easy once you know how, but obviously daunting if you’re new to it all.
MOF
Frequent Poster