You are here

Sound sampling for percussion purpose

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Sound sampling for percussion purpose

Postby hardminder » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:47 am

Hi, I have a simple question that I think could be easily answer but I just don't seem to be able to formulate it correctly for a Google research.

I am looking for a VST, that could help me edit, split and process my percussive samples and that would allow me to assign them on different zones on a keyboard.

SO, to break it down. I record samples of various thing in life like metallic hits, steps, stumps etc. I know I could manually trim them one after the other, save them, load them in another sampler (which I have yet to fin anyway) and play it but I'm am confident that there is an ''all in one'' VST out there. I would like to find one that would allow me to drop those samples in, be able to trim them, down pitch them, adjust the attack and assign the sound to a keyboard note or zone. I would like to be able to load several samples in the same vst instance and spread the different samples across the keyboard. Now Battery 4 can pretty much do all of that but that's where it gets tricky. I would like to be able to have inserts effects for each samples within the VST. That way I don't have to struggle with multi audio out from one instrument channel or midi channels etc, I have a hard time handling this stuff.

There are tons of vsts out there and I can't believe there is not one suited for a not so complicated task.

I've tried:
-Serato, great for long samples for hip hop for example but not to load multiples samples
-Battery 4 works pretty good too but not enough fx features.

All your suggestions are welcomed. Also, I am welling to learn and be teached, if you have a better alternative, if something escaped my grasp.

Thanks!!
hardminder
Poster
Mobo : Asus Prime X-570P
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800-X
GPU : Not relevant!
Memory : 2x16gb DDR4 RAM
Storage : 2x1tb M.2
PSU : EVGA 500BQ
Cubase 10 Pro

Re: Sound sampling for percussion purpose

Postby N i g e l » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:57 pm

Currently I am chopping up a recording of "bin day" made on a hand held recorder for the purpose of samples.

Im using Audacity to edit the files - seems ok; Im making the switch from Soundforge which Ive been using for years.

I use the TX16Wx sampler VST, which is comprehensive but might have too steep a learning curve for basic use.

For percussion, you might want to use multi sampling to reduce the machine gun effect on repeated notes and have velocity layers to addd some dynamics.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Temp » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:25 pm

One approach would be to use sforzando (a freeware sample player) and a third party application to create/edit the *.sfz files.

Here's sforzando:

https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando.html

...and here's some editors:

https://sfzformat.com/software/tools/

Cheers.
Temp
Regular

Postby RichardT » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:34 pm

hardminder wrote:Hi, I have a simple question that I think could be easily answer but I just don't seem to be able to formulate it correctly for a Google research.

I am looking for a VST, that could help me edit, split and process my percussive samples and that would allow me to assign them on different zones on a keyboard.

SO, to break it down. I record samples of various thing in life like metallic hits, steps, stumps etc. I know I could manually trim them one after the other, save them, load them in another sampler (which I have yet to fin anyway) and play it but I'm am confident that there is an ''all in one'' VST out there. I would like to find one that would allow me to drop those samples in, be able to trim them, down pitch them, adjust the attack and assign the sound to a keyboard note or zone. I would like to be able to load several samples in the same vst instance and spread the different samples across the keyboard. Now Battery 4 can pretty much do all of that but that's where it gets tricky. I would like to be able to have inserts effects for each samples within the VST. That way I don't have to struggle with multi audio out from one instrument channel or midi channels etc, I have a hard time handling this stuff.

There are tons of vsts out there and I can't believe there is not one suited for a not so complicated task.

I've tried:
-Serato, great for long samples for hip hop for example but not to load multiples samples
-Battery 4 works pretty good too but not enough fx features.

All your suggestions are welcomed. Also, I am welling to learn and be teached, if you have a better alternative, if something escaped my grasp.

Thanks!!

In Battery you can put effects onto each individual cell. What do you need that it can’t do?
RichardT
Regular

Postby hardminder » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:45 am

RichardT wrote: In Battery you can put effects onto each individual cell. What do you need that it can’t do?

There are many things that Battery 4 can do and I've used it quite a lot but some features are running short I feel like. For example, I would like maybe a granular option maybe some lfos, stuff like that. Step sequencer, why not? I don't have anything precise in mind but I am looking for something that gives me more freedom of creativity. 10 or even 5 years ago I would not be looking for that kind of stuff but right now I see crazy VSTs coming out that features all kind of stuff. Check out MAP (Modern Animated Percussion) for example.

Battery 4 is great, don't get me wrong. But it lacks something in term of sample manipulation and editing. Just the size of the sound wave window is pretty much letting you know that it is not really a sampler. Battery is a drum machine, a great one. I'm looking for a sample manipulation/drum machine/whatever.

And I'll repeat myself, I'm looking from any suggestion outside the box, any complementary vsts, controller, anything that you guys think would be helpful to me.

Thanks a lot for your interest!
hardminder
Poster
Mobo : Asus Prime X-570P
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800-X
GPU : Not relevant!
Memory : 2x16gb DDR4 RAM
Storage : 2x1tb M.2
PSU : EVGA 500BQ
Cubase 10 Pro